Such a happy moment

millythekid

Reaction score
Yesterday, a man walked into the salon I work at, with his wife and son. He wasn't speaking much and his wife kept making hand gestures. I didn't think anything of it at the time. As I was cutting his hair, I realized he seemed a bit frustrated and his wife started talking to him helping him understand what I was saying to him. Out of the corner of my eye I could see her moving her hands. (Keep in mind, I live in a town where the deaf community has pretty much disappeared, so I really didn't think anything about it.) So, I looked over again and I recognized some of the signs and realized she was signing ASL. I just about jumped for joy. I asked her if she was signing and she said yes. And we spoke a little more while she interpreted for him. When I finished his hair, his wife and son went ahead outside and he payed and gave me a tip. I new with learning ASL but I did know how to sign "it was nice to meet you". So, I looked him in the eye and signed it. It was so amazing to see this man who was so frustrated change from one emotion to the other. He grinned so big at me and signed, "thank you." I have no doubts that he will be returning to see me. In the mean time I'm going to work harder on my ASL so that I can make him feel much more comfortable with communicating how he wants his hair cut. It made my day so much better meeting someone else in the tiny almost non existent deaf community in my town.

I just thought I would share a special moment I had. Thanks for taking the time to read it =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Your welcome girl....
Sign will set you free......

Yesterday, a man walked into the salon I work at, with his wife and son. He wasn't speaking much and his wife kept making hand gestures. I didn't think anything of it at the time. As I was cutting his hair, I realized he seemed a bit frustrated and his wife started talking to him helping him understand what I was saying to him. Out of the corner of my eye I could see her moving her hands. (Keep in mind, I live in a town where the deaf community has pretty much disappeared, so I really didn't think anything about it.) So, I looked over again and I recognized some of the signs and realized she was signing ASL. I just about jumped for joy. I asked her if she was signing and she said yes. And we spoke a little more while she interpreted for him. When I finished his hair, his wife and son went ahead outside and he payed and gave me a tip. I new with learning ASL but I did know how to sign "it was nice to meet you". So, I looked him in the eye and signed it. It was so amazing to see this man who was so frustrated change from one emotion to the other. He grinned so big at me and signed, "thank you." I have no doubts that he will be returning to see me. In the mean time I'm going to work harder on my ASL so that I can make him feel much more comfortable with communicating how he wants his hair cut. It made my day so much better meeting someone else in the tiny almost non existent deaf community in my town.

I reackon you made his day aswel

Back