substituting or is this what he hears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A baby without access to sound will be making only visual pathways in the brain and will begin to change the pathways that are typically used for audition to visual. That is why a Deaf adult who is implanted can (generally) not understand spoken language through listening alone.
Ummm faire joure, oral education and even auditory verbal did not begin and end with CI.
Many kids, including kids with severe and severe-profound losses can get speech perception with HA. Were you aware that there were HA kids in the 80's and 90's (with severe and profound losses) who were sucessful AVTers?

I
think it's important to remember this child has really only had access to sound for the last six months. Everything takes time, and it's important for the OP to just enjoy his child. I don't think this is something to stress over. He most likely over time will be able to articulate those sounds appropriately.

In the mean time continuing to incorporate sign into your every day routine will only benefit your child. Studies have shown that the use of sign language actually helps with the speech and articulation.

I would connect with the SLP for ways you can help him at home, to start articulating different sounds. I would inquire as to what experience the current SLP has working with DHH children... If she doesn't have appropriate experience, I would try to have the district provide another one.
Yes, Great points CSign. A CI might be a good option, but then again there are still audilogically hoh kids who have spoken language and articlation issues at this age.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
A baby without access to sound will be making only visual pathways in the brain and will begin to change the pathways that are typically used for audition to visual. That is why a Deaf adult who is implanted can (generally) not understand spoken language through listening alone.
Ummm faire joure, oral education and even auditory verbal did not begin and end with CI.
Many kids, including kids with severe and severe-profound losses can get speech perception with HA. Were you aware that there were HA kids in the 80's and 90's (with severe and profound losses) who were sucessful AVTers?

that's why i said "access to sound", not CI.read what i write please.

To the OP, can I ask why you're seeking out an AVT? If you're seeing for yourself that he responds to visual clues, AVT doesn't support that. AVT makes me a bit nervous, as it relies on the Childs weakest sense to make progress. Which to me seems a bit counterproductive.

The use of sign language will not interfere with him using spoken language. The biggest thing is giving him access to language at this point, and sign takes the guess work out of it for him.

What is your biggest concern with your son?

I second teaching sign language. I'm late deafened and it would have been far easier to learn ASL as a child. I still have some hearing--my issue is being unable to hear speech. ASL helps me so much. :cool2:

Is it possible that this child is not hearing any sound for all of these consonants? The child may be filling in the blanks. That's how it is for me. I don't hear any sound for certain consonants so I must fill in the blanks. It's like constantly playing Wheel of Fortune--minus the fun parts like Vanna. lol The good news is that the child will be able to improve this skill as language acquisition occurs.

You're the mom and you know what your child needs more than anyone else. Follow your heart. Most of all, love your child. This time will pass too quickly. :aw:

that's why i said "access to sound", not CI.read what i write please
. Yes, but bear in mind that most kids, including kids with severe and profound and even some profound losses can benifit from HA. If this was a case where the child clearly wasn't getting any benifit from HA or was obviously getting very poor benifit from HA, I'd encourage the OP to look into implantation. It sounds like her son is just dealing with typical hoh articulation issues.
To the OP, can I ask why you're seeking out an AVT? If you're seeing for yourself that he responds to visual clues, AVT doesn't support that. AVT makes me a bit nervous, as it relies on the Childs weakest sense to make progress. Which to me seems a bit counterproductive.
Ditto!!! I know you must be anxious about speech development....BUT, it's still very very common (if not universal) for hoh kids to have articualtion and mechanical (pitch, tone, volumne) issues. If I were you.....are you near a School for the Deaf? Maybe a good idea might be to get an evalution through a School or Program for the Deaf and see what they say. They in turn might be able to also point you towards good local dhh resources, such as speech therapists (non AVT) who are experianced with working with dhh kids.

Wow!! Nice to see so many responses J

The use of sign language will not interfere with him using spoken language. The biggest thing is giving him access to language at this point, and sign takes the guess work out of it for him.

What is your biggest concern with your son?

I’ve been told AVT really help them to tune in on their listening skills. Plus his old SLP just moved. His new SLP seems so young and doesn’t seem to know how to deal with my son. She’s been with the company for 3 years but on our 1st session she seems to be yelling at him. I had to ask her to lower her voice a couple of times. At the end of the session I just told her the reason he’s wearing hearing aids is so you don’t have to yell. Not sure if she’s never worked with kids that are hoh or what. The AVT I’m seeking out comes highly recommended. Also was told AVT will teach me how to help my son vs right now the SLP just works with him and has asked that I not be in the room as I “distract” him.

I’m not giving up on signing. I sign with him. He has picked up maybe a dozen signs that we do. But I’ve also noticed that my other kids signs with him and as soon as they understand what he wants they get it for him without getting him to say/speak his wants/needs.

Right now I'm wondering if he could have
CAPD (central auditory disorder)? Or is it common for children with mild hearing loss to have trouble with words like the one he's trying to pronounce?

I don’t believe he has CAPD. He’s only had his hearing aids for about 6 months. He’s super smart and has no problems following directions. He’s starting to follow 2 commends. Like throw this away then come sit next to me. So I don’t believe he has anything else going on. Plus we went to get his genetics results today and the doctor said according to his DNA results he has Pendred & LVAS.

No, pfh, an implant isn't necessary, but it's perfectly logical and reasonable to want one.

My son’s hearing aids is giving him 25-30db meaning he’s hearing within the speech banana. So CI isn’t an option for him right now. The AuD believes he might be hearing better but is not responding by dropping the bear in the bucket unless he’s certain he hears something. To be totally honest, I’m relief that CI isn’t an option right at the moment. It’s confusing and a lot of decisions that has to be made as is to know he has hearing loss. To add CI/surgery just makes it overwhelming.

If he’s hearing at 25db then he’s only missing S, TH and F. So he should hear B, D, and G. I really feel giving him more time he would be able to articulate them. It’s just that his teacher got me worried. But then she probably has not had any kids who just got their hearing aids and started school the same week.

I'm VERY glad you are looking into everything carefully. You seem like a great mom ! :)

I think it's important to remember this child has really only had access to sound for the last six months. Everything takes time, and it's important for the OP to just enjoy his child. I don't think this is something to stress over. He most likely over time will be able to articulate those sounds appropriately.

In the mean time continuing to incorporate sign into your every day routine will only benefit your child. Studies have shown that the use of sign language actually helps with the speech and articulation.

I would connect with the SLP for ways you can help him at home, to start articulating different sounds. I would inquire as to what experience the current SLP has working with DHH children... If she doesn't have appropriate experience, I would try to have the district provide another one.

The key is whether or not your child is benefitting from this SLP's services...

Yes!! That's why I asked if this is normal. It seems his teacher keep telling me that by now she would expect him to say so much more. If he's only been hearing for 6 months do you expect him to have good speech and have at least 100 word vocabulary. I feel he's doing a GREAT job taking everything in and learning at the pace he's learning. She compares him to other kids she has had in the past. But all those other kids have had hearing aids since they were little. My son has only had his hearing aids for 6 months. Is that a good comparison or am I just in denial and that he should have caught up more than he has.

Today at the ARD they said his progress is "slow". So my question to them was "than what is 'normal' for a 3 year old child with 6 months of hearing aids" and their response was a typical 3 years old have 1200 word vocabulary. So he's behind. Yes, he's behind other 3 year old but is he behind other DHH kids who've had their hearing aids after 6 months.

The school is for DHH kids. There's about 5 kids in the oral class and about 6 kids in the total communication class.

Early on I was advised by a very wise audi. to -- at least in the first few years -- consider my daughter's "hearing age" as that time which has passed since activation, and manage any expectations or comparisons accordingly. That was very encouraging before she began to close the gap. In your son's case, he seems to be doing so very well for 6 months :) . B, d, g are so close acoustically, that even though they fall within his hearing range, not unsurprising that they could be confused.

Hello, I'm a new member of the forums (gasp!) and as an SLP student I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

The first thing I thought of is that your son might be "backing," or making sounds that are usually more forward in the mouth (like "b" and "d") further back in the mouth (like "g" or "k") - for example, he may say "kak" for "cat." What I find interesting is that he doesn't pick up on being able to see your lips come together for the "b" sound - which is maybe why your SLP is stuck, since that's a good visual cue by itself. It is a common process for all children who are developing spoken language, so don't feel that it is some weird new pattern that no one's seen before.

Second, he is still fairly young. Check out this googlebook, Shipley & McAfee's "Assessment in Speech-Language Pathology." It's a great resource for if you're noticing odd patterns and want to sort things out. Page 228 has a description of backing, but there are a lot of other neat things to check out in there, too.

Assessment in speech-language ... - Google Books

Also, this page reports that backing is still within normal limits for hearing children up to three years old:
Phonological Processes

I would say to make sure he can tell the difference between all the sounds (to do a discrimination task) when they're presented to him. Has your SLP tried any discrimination tasks with your son to make sure he actually hears the difference between "b" and "d" and "g"? And keep up with the visual cues! Multilingualism is a precious gift in today's increasingly integrated society, and learning sign and English is a wonderful start.

This helps!!

Any suggestions on how I can get him to put his mouth together to make the "b" sound? I've tried pinching his lips together and getting to blow to make the "b" sound but he isn't getting it. He thinks it's a game and just starts to laugh. Or any suggestions on how to get him to stop "backing" because this does seem like the case for him.

I'm not sure if she has done any discriminating task to see if he hears the difference. Can you make some suggestions?

The visual cue alphabet seems to work with him. I know it's hard for him to hear the "t" but I think he hears it. "T" is the beginning of his name and I see him trying to make the "t" sound when I give him the visual cue for it.

I would say to make sure he can tell the difference between all the sounds (to do a discrimination task) when they're presented to him. Has your SLP tried any discrimination tasks with your son to make sure he actually hears the difference between "b" and "d" and "g"?

He can differentiate between "b" and "d" for sure. Because he does the "backing" like you said. He says "d" for "b" and "g" for "d". I’m not sure if he can differentiate between "d" and "g" because he makes the same "g" sound for both. So yes he hears the difference just not making the right phonics for each of letters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back