Studying for Driver's Licence

jhintak

Reaction score
Hey all,

I hope i'm not duplicating another previous post, but I currently tutor a deaf student in my school district. His dad wants me to teach him how to drive so he can get his driver's licence, but there are a few problems.

He cannot read english. He knows the signs for the words but he has a tough time trying to make out what the sentence is trying to tell him. So it's a bit difficult trying to teach him from the hand book from DMV.

I tried to interpret and sign and draw the information to teach him, and although he understands it, when he goes to take the test, because the permit section is a written test, he won't understand the questions being asked and the optional answers provided for him.

And as we all know it's almost impossible to contact DMV without setting an appointment, or to wait long hours in line. So i thought i'd ask you professionals... Is there another alternative testing options besides the written exam for the permit?

And while i'm at it, what do you think is the best way to teach him how to drive? He's not very good at sign language either. He has a hard time understanding certain concepts, and he's also very lazy, so I have a hard time trying to get him to pay attention.

Thanks in advance!

He's lazy? not nice to say that word. He is just disability life. I guess his parent does not support him how to read or speech as like abuse him for yearly, he might suffered or not happy living with parent who don't speak ASL for deaf.

Some high school football players are tough and biggots but, they can't read, too or their IQ are lower as like dumb sexy blondies.

Really sad. I'm sorry for him who can't read it.

First problem here is that you say "his dad" wants you to teach him to drive. Forgive me if I'm reading too much into things, but it should be the son who wants you to teach him to drive.

Communication is key here. If someone has no way to communicate effectively with another person, they're in for a hard time! If they're lazy and show signs of lack of dedication or commitment, then it becomes clear that they simply don't want to learn in the first place. In this case, it would be difficult for them to absorb and retain information even if there were no communication issues!

Nightmare scenario imo. Unfortunately, I think this may well be a case of him being beyond help. My advice is to only try to help people if they're willing to help themselves. If not, don't bother. Life is tough enough as it is.

Wirelessly posted

Anyone with a cognitive or physical dsability can - in most if not all states- use a letter from asocial worker or their iep or similar documentation to request an alt. oral exam, which can then be translated. If he isn't fluent in English or ASL, what language does he use?

Last edited:
Hey all,

I hope i'm not duplicating another previous post, but I currently tutor a deaf student in my school district. His dad wants me to teach him how to drive so he can get his driver's licence, but there are a few problems.

He cannot read english. He knows the signs for the words but he has a tough time trying to make out what the sentence is trying to tell him. So it's a bit difficult trying to teach him from the hand book from DMV.

I tried to interpret and sign and draw the information to teach him, and although he understands it, when he goes to take the test, because the permit section is a written test, he won't understand the questions being asked and the optional answers provided for him.

And as we all know it's almost impossible to contact DMV without setting an appointment, or to wait long hours in line. So i thought i'd ask you professionals... Is there another alternative testing options besides the written exam for the permit?

And while i'm at it, what do you think is the best way to teach him how to drive? He's not very good at sign language either. He has a hard time understanding certain concepts, and he's also very lazy, so I have a hard time trying to get him to pay attention.

Thanks in advance!

hmm....
1. he cannot read English
2. he cannot sign well
3. he has trouble understanding certain concepts

jhintak - he is mentally-unfit to drive. Please - for his own safety, you should tell his father that he will be a danger to public and the father will be held liable for it.

hmm....
1. he cannot read English
2. he cannot sign well
3. he has trouble understanding certain concepts

jhintak - he is mentally-unfit to drive. Please - for his own safety, you should tell his father that he will be a danger to public and the father will be held liable for it.

I agree with Jiro. How can he read the signs when he turns into the wrong lanes or wrong ways. SO Jiro has a valid point that it's for his own safety.

maybe he's 16 and just learning ASL because he was in special education who didn't teach him sign language by the choice of his parents. Whatever happened, I hope his family fix his education soon as possible which probably what they are doing right now since he doesn't know ASL well. If that the case, tell the father that his son will have to wait alittle longer until his communication and reading skills get straightened out.

Last edited:
Well, I know someone who could not read or understand DMV, she got a driver's license because her interpreter gave her cheating answers. She still drive around.

I know other person who can not read or write and he successfully obtained a DL (He is a Mexican immigrant) and he is an excellent driver and knows the rules and signs.

Maybe contact DMV to provide him an interpreter for testing.

Oddball, if that the case, this person would help him, but it sounds to me that person may not really have ANY language right now if he can't understand ASL , spoken, or reading.

If he is nice and very polite as a normal behavior, I would suggest that he has practice more on multi-choices to see if he could do it as like the puzzles to recognize the pattern of words and pictures. If he fails the test, then he will take the tests later on no matter what.

He is not alone in our country. Some Mexican drivers can't read in English or can't speak in English. They drive around and have their own license. What amazing that they can do it. I hope that they see and understand the signs out there and not hit someone on the road or the cars.

If he is not a good behavior, you have to quit by just telling his Dad that you are busy with your family or anything that you could make up something in order to avoid his Dad to abuse his son. That's what you have to be careful how to say to them. You need to get off the hook. It's sad, but nothing you can do about it.

Haha I'm sorry I guess I made him sound like a total dummy.
He does understand ASL. Just not fully, as in he doesn't know what some signs mean, and it's tough to expain it because he doesn't understand the english word as well. And some signs are really hard to explain, IMO. English is out of the picture however, for now.

And yes, his family is at fault, no doubt. They don't bother learning ASL, (korean family). And he often complains that he's deaf and that hes sad because he wants to communicate with his parents. But that's a different story. I'll probably have to post another topic because I do need help in that.

Anyhow, I'm his private tutor, meaning i'm getting paid by the school district to help him in any subject or material he needs help with. And me being korean, his family being korean, and the korean culture involved, it's tough to say "no, i will not teach your son how to drive because he is unwilling." Because that would be 1) disrespectful 2) rebelious. Koreans are normally forced to do what their parents want you to do whether you like it or not. And my student is around 22 years old. His dad wants him to start being more responsible with himself, and believes if he starts driving, it will help him become more independent.

So, in a way, I know it's very tough, but I'm not looking for whether it's possible or not. I don't really have a choice but to some how teach him how to drive. The real questions is how can I? Some suggestions on how I could accomplish this will help. I know he's capable. He's not in any way mentally disabled. Like I said, he's just lazy. He doesn't like to exercise, doens't like to leave the house, doesn't like walking, doesn't like standing, studying, signing, you name it. What I meant by "concept", if he is watching an ASL video, he will have a hard time understanding what they're saying. So often times I have to repeat the same signs but slowly and have some extra explanations.

He does understand ASL. Just not fully, as in he doesn't know what some signs mean, and it's tough to expain it because he doesn't understand the english word as well. And some signs are really hard to explain, IMO. English is out of the picture however, for now.

And yes, his family is at fault, no doubt. They don't bother learning ASL, (korean family). And he often complains that he's deaf and that hes sad because he wants to communicate with his parents. But that's a different story. I'll probably have to post another topic because I do need help in that.

Anyhow, I'm his private tutor, meaning i'm getting paid by the school district to help him in any subject or material he needs help with. And me being korean, his family being korean, and the korean culture involved, it's tough to say "no, i will not teach your son how to drive because he is unwilling." Because that would be 1) disrespectful 2) rebelious. Koreans are normally forced to do what their parents want you to do whether you like it or not. And my student is around 22 years old. His dad wants him to start being more responsible with himself, and believes if he starts driving, it will help him become more independent.

anyong-ha-sayo! *bow* I'm Korean too. I would love to come up and meet this parents along with my parents to tell them that they are lazy. LAZY! LAZY! The child's behavior is the reflection of parents' lazy behavior.

Apparently - the parents are the laziest one in here. They are lazy to learn ASL to communicate with their son and they are lazy to teach him anything they want to teach. So if the father wants to teach him about responsibility, then the father needs step up and act like a responsible father. He should be ashamed of himself for making you do their job. What a shame.

I don't see how is it disrespectful and rebellious for you to decline their request to teach him how to drive.

So, in a way, I know it's very tough, but I'm not looking for whether it's possible or not. I don't really have a choice but to some how teach him how to drive. The real questions is how can I? Some suggestions on how I could accomplish this will help. I know he's capable. He's not in any way mentally disabled. Like I said, he's just lazy. He doesn't like to exercise, doens't like to leave the house, doesn't like walking, doesn't like standing, studying, signing, you name it. What I meant by "concept", if he is watching an ASL video, he will have a hard time understanding what they're saying. So often times I have to repeat the same signs but slowly and have some extra explanations.
try computer game. or youtube videos of driving for starter.

btw - jhintak.. something to think about. Since you said he doesn't like to exercise, leave house, walking, etc.. Maybe he is depressed? So depressed that he gave up in life? I feel that his parents have given up on him so he has no reason to get motivated in life. just something to think about.

I don't doubt that he may be depressed. But I don't think it's a serious one if it is. I don't know for sure though...

Youtube videos...?
Video game sounds good. Maybe I'll buy the whole gran turismo game and steering wheel.

I realize this may involve having to read and all, but it might help. This link was given to me in an email for home schoolers for free curriculum. I kept it since I have a15 y/o son who will need it. 16 y/o daughter does not want to learn to drive.

Liberty Mutual : Teens

He's lazy? not nice to say that word. He is just disability life. I guess his parent does not support him how to read or speech as like abuse him for yearly, he might suffered or not happy living with parent who don't speak ASL for deaf.

Some high school football players are tough and biggots but, they can't read, too or their IQ are lower as like dumb sexy blondies.

Really sad. I'm sorry for him who can't read it.

Look who talking ! You just told the guy is not nice to call his student lazy
,then you make a sexist remark about women! Talk about being double standard!

Does he have an attenion deficit disorder, this would made it hard for him learn. If I were you I was tell the boy's father that is too risky trying to teach his son how to drive. It really sound like the son is being forced to learn how to drive and it hard to make a person do someting they do not want to do. I agree with Jiro,about the parents being the lazy one , they did nothing to help their son and now they're getting older and want to their son to take care of himself. I saw some thing like this years ago. Some parents wanted their grown son to learn ASL and get a job as the parents were too old to take care of their son anymore, the parents had to be in their 70's. The parents did nothing to help the their son be independent until he was in his 30's. If the father want his son to learn how to drive so badly he should teach him.

He's korean? wtf.. I remmy I went to special program for deaf in training school. I noticed one deaf korean in class but, I saw his mom begged his teacher for get better educate for her son. He sat and quiet for nothing to do. Teacher can't help it cuz he need responsible for adult in class, not like high school style. Her mom teared and hurted. I felt so sorry for him... ack...

Back