Student Research: Cochlear Implant Controversy

Cochlear Implants: Good or bad for the Deaf Community?

• Good

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
some hearing parents have their choices for kids not to have ASL because they have CIs.

that is my point.

I think it's unfortunate when children today in the U.S. have CI's and their parents don't pursue and utilize ASL. Things have changed over the last 20+ years to a certain extent, and the use of ASL has become much more accepted and even encouraged in various cases for children with CI's.

Rick can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that when his daughter was implanted it was still relatively early and the "professionals" advised against the use of ASL for children with CI's. It was much more black and white... an either or type of situation.

Now with more information, education, and studies done on children with CI's it has become much more accepted and the benefits are understood.

I think it's unfortunate when children today in the U.S. have CI's and their parents don't pursue and utilize ASL. Things have changed over the last 20+ years to a certain extent, and the use of ASL has become much more accepted and even encouraged in various cases for children with CI's.

Rick can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that when his daughter was implanted it was still relatively early and the "professionals" advised against the use of ASL for children with CI's. It was much more black and white... an either or type of situation.

Now with more information, education, and studies done on children with CI's it has become much more accepted and the benefits are understood.

The debate seems to be over which language should be a dhh kid's first language. Back then the argument was that developing oral abilty was so difficult, that kids needed to concentrate on that first. (without of course aknowleging that there still is a risk for language delays if a kid doesn't do well orally) Now it seems to be more " Oh, they're oral sucesses....they don't "need" ASL.....(HUGE RME here)

The debate seems to be over which language should be a dhh kid's first language. Back then the argument was that developing oral abilty was so difficult, that kids needed to concentrate on that first. (without of course aknowleging that there still is a risk for language delays if a kid doesn't do well orally) Now it seems to be more " Oh, they're oral sucesses....they don't "need" ASL.....(HUGE RME here)

I think you might have missed my point...

I'm saying the atmosphere now is much more conducive to deaf children developing both languages- not having to choosing one over the other.

They can have both- ASL and English.

That is my point is that it is for new hearing parents to be aware about this one. Any kids with hearing loss needs to be aware who they are, and have good self esteem issue as well. Having both ASL and Speak are pretty plus for any small kids with hearing loss so they would not have self esteem issues. I am not comfortable with the idea of seeing doctors or adult people who do not allow this kids with hearing loss to have ASL. So New Hearing parents need to know about it and it's their call decision what to do with their kids with hearing loss. Self esteem issue is very important at an early of age the key to success by having both ASL AND SPEAK.

Back