Strongman event - Hummer Tires

I wonder. How many people here actually do any exercise at all? Which (extreme?) sports fascinates you the most?

I wonder. How many people here actually do any exercise at all? Which (extreme?) sports fascinates you the most?

I love sports and exercise. Been an athlete all of my life and got college softball scholarships. :D

I am not really into extreme sports..I just want to remain physically active for as long as I can. I love the feeling I get after a good workout or a good game.

I rode my bike 1000 miles during the summer of 2008. I'm into hiking. I'm not into organized sports as much though. I'll watch MMA, football, strongman, and other fun stuff.

I love sports and exercise. Been an athlete all of my life and got college softball scholarships. :D

I am not really into extreme sports..I just want to remain physically active for as long as I can. I love the feeling I get after a good workout or a good game.

Yep. I know what you mean after a good workout. Getting that "pump" feeling knowing you've accomplished something for the day. Nowadays, it's more of hiking (work related) where I get my exercise. I'd like to hike up to the top of Mt. St. Helens someday next year.

Yep. I know what you mean after a good workout. Getting that "pump" feeling knowing you've accomplished something for the day.

I love that feeling, too. That is the feeling that drives us to look forward to our next workout. We do not like to feel like an ordinary person.

I love that feeling, too. That is the feeling that drives us to look forward to our next workout. We do not like to feel like an ordinary person.

Biological explanation: the body produces more seratonin and dopamine after physical exercise. In effect, you get high off of your own brain chemicals.

Rugby. Soccer. Organized sports, but are not "extreme."

Hiking, fishing, backpacking... again not "extreme."

Rock-climbing would fit your definition though.

Actually, increasing muscle mass do help with the speed. Ever see sprinters' legs at the Olympics summer games? Even pro-football players?

As I said before, some do consider certain sports "extreme" while others do not. Perhaps "barbaric" is what some see, too. Even boxing, UFC and such. So, defining the word "extreme" to a particular sport would be more of personal perspective than something that's set in stone. Is lifting Hummer tires as seen in the video as "extreme"? To some people, yes. Others, no. I see no definition of the word "extreme" to apply to a sport. Just people tossing opinions around. Although I could see it as "going beyond human limits" that could fit the word "extreme." Then again breaking and shattering the sprint world record a la Bolt could fit that definition, too.

Actually, increasing muscle mass do help with the speed. Ever see sprinters' legs at the Olympics summer games? Even pro-football players?
sprinters legs... but not overall body. and about pro-football players... yea that's why they die early. It is not unheard of them dying from cardiac arrest.

As I said before, some do consider certain sports "extreme" while others do not. Perhaps "barbaric" is what some see, too. Even boxing, UFC and such. So, defining the word "extreme" to a particular sport would be more of personal perspective than something that's set in stone. Is lifting Hummer tires as seen in the video as "extreme"? To some people, yes. Others, no. I see no definition of the word "extreme" to apply to a sport. Just people tossing opinions around.

I'm going by official classification by committee. Let me help you - "extreme sports" classification does not imply "extreme" as in "omfgwtf!?!?"

Boxing is a sport.... like football and baseball. Extreme Sport aka X-sport means action sport. or adventure sport..... like downhill snowboarding, skydiving, windsurfing, motocross, etc. UFC and tire lifting do not go into Extreme Sport classification.

Although I could see it as "going beyond human limits" that could fit the word "extreme." Then again breaking and shattering the sprint world record a la Bolt could fit that definition, too.
that's what World Guinness Records is for

It's extreme alright. Yeah... we run around with barbells and tossing them to each others.

Damnit! We can't move! Too much muscles preventing us from being able to run!

That's a funny picture! Muscle bound Rugby players. Somehow, it just doesn't work!:lol:

As I said before, some do consider certain sports "extreme" while others do not. Perhaps "barbaric" is what some see, too. Even boxing, UFC and such. So, defining the word "extreme" to a particular sport would be more of personal perspective than something that's set in stone. Is lifting Hummer tires as seen in the video as "extreme"? To some people, yes. Others, no. I see no definition of the word "extreme" to apply to a sport. Just people tossing opinions around. Although I could see it as "going beyond human limits" that could fit the word "extreme." Then again breaking and shattering the sprint world record a la Bolt could fit that definition, too.

Increasing muscle mass indiscriminately, and the development that comes naturally with a given activity are 2 very different things. Runners' muscles not only get definition, they lengthen and strengthen as well. Bulking results in muscles shortening, not lengthening, and foreshortened muscles and ligaments do not increase speed. They do, however, increase injuries.

ok - you mentioned that you want to try marathon. let's assume that you're very serious about it. serious enough to make it to top 20... or even top 50. Do you think you can achieve that along with your family responsibility and work? It's not impossible but it's extremely difficult. The only way to do that is to dedicate your time and effort on it. By doing that - your time to pursue other intellectual endeavor is extremely limited.

now - about strongman competition. it's obviously a serious sport because you can get seriously injured or even permanently injured from it. to even participate in it, you need to spend a huge amount of your time building muscle. meanwhile do you really see them pursuing intellectual endeavor in their extra time? it's just not really feasible.

My roommate wakes up 230am everyday to hit the gym then rides his bike to work. He works at 6am. He rides his bike no matter the weather.

His schedule looks like this: Wake up 230am, make breakfast, work out, ride bike to work, work at 6. (He builds firetrucks so he works with metal all day long) Then he rides his bike back home at around 5pm. eat dinner, lounge a bit then sleeps at 730pm.

His weekends consists of 100+ mile bike rides. He racks up more mileage on his bikes than most people on their cars.

He's training for big ass things. So he's dedicated to it.

Yall should see my legs after I work out with em.. They look like a pair of mean motherfuckers that you wouldn't mess with. (I can leg press 1200 pounds pretty easily) Yet I don't think im that fast.

But again, I can cover 1/2 of the softball field in a game.... Hmm

Yall should see my legs after I work out with em.. They look like a pair of mean motherfuckers that you wouldn't mess with. (I can leg press 1200 pounds pretty easily) Yet I don't think im that fast.

But again, I can cover 1/2 of the softball field in a game.... Hmm

1200 lbs on a leg press sled isn't purely 1200lbs of actual downward weight or resistence on your legs. If it were, you'd know it already, much less even move it if you had to move it vertically up and down. The sled's angle is usually at 45 degree angle plus the mechanics of your legs gives you more leverage in adding more weight and allows you to do more with it. Simple math here using sine angle.

Force = Weight * sin (angle)
Force = 1200lbs * sin(45)
Force = 1200lbs * .707
Force = 850lbs of resistence.

Try lifting a bar with 850lbs worth of weights (bar + 805lbs) off of a rack. Heck, my best was about 700lbs or so but squated to a depth of about 8 inches and back up with catch bars beneath it versus 315lbs for deep squats bellow parallel at 10 to 15 reps each. Talk about strain there with over 700lbs literally on my back! But leg presses are great. Loved it when I could go all out and burn without worry of weights collapsing beneath me and get a good leg pump. Puked a few times, too. Lovely time.

My roommate wakes up 230am everyday to hit the gym then rides his bike to work. He works at 6am. He rides his bike no matter the weather.

His schedule looks like this: Wake up 230am, make breakfast, work out, ride bike to work, work at 6. (He builds firetrucks so he works with metal all day long) Then he rides his bike back home at around 5pm. eat dinner, lounge a bit then sleeps at 730pm.

His weekends consists of 100+ mile bike rides. He racks up more mileage on his bikes than most people on their cars.

He's training for big ass things. So he's dedicated to it.

the next Lance Armstrong

Back