Strategies on more effective social interaction with hearing peers

DMOC

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a deaf college student, and am the only deaf student here. I have enough hearing (and excellent speech) so that I can interact with people 1 on 1 ,or with a threesome, quite well. The problem comes with larger groups, where the noise level augments and conversations begin and end and overlap. I find it very hard to understand what anyone's saying during that time. Has anyone found some strategies to try and get the most out of interactions with hearing peers, such as during meals when you may have 10 people together? This is a general question, so I'm just curious as to what advice you have.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if this is genuine advice. Could you please elaborate a bit?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if this is genuine advice. Could you please elaborate a bit?

It's actually what I do. I wish it was sarcastic, but in groups I just entertain myself and wait if anyone wants to come and speak to me.

Sorry .

Isn't it the first lesson of dealing with situations that one can't hear/interact is to SAY SO! No bluffing. This advice from Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto.

Consider

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Isn't it the first lesson of dealing with situations that one can't hear/interact is to SAY SO! No bluffing. This advice from Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto.

Consider

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I gave up trying to participate actively in group conversations a while ago. I honestly don't think it can be done once your hearing loss reaches a certain point. I just try and engage one person out of the group as much as possible. I usually end up going home before everyone else.

If your friends are willing to accommodate your needs, I would suggest carrying a hacky sack ball with you. When you are in the cafeteria or student lounge with a group, simply have whoever is going to talk catch the hacky sack so that you will visually understand who is speaking and can pay attention to that person. They will also have to agree to only speak one at a time. Sounds weird, but it works. I've seen it used in deaf school classrooms a lot, and it is a very simple, but very effective, way to address visual needs of a deaf person.

If your friends are willing to accommodate your needs, I would suggest carrying a hacky sack ball with you. When you are in the cafeteria or student lounge with a group, simply have whoever is going to talk catch the hacky sack so that you will visually understand who is speaking and can pay attention to that person. They will also have to agree to only speak one at a time. Sounds weird, but it works. I've seen it used in deaf school classrooms a lot, and it is a very simple, but very effective, way to address visual needs of a deaf person.

That works for the young! I bet if I tried to implement that in my extended family group, I would get hurt! THey are all very athletic! :P

tanx to you all. A hoh is getting solace in this forum. I've avoided group discussions for too long. Now i know its universal to all who can't hear well.
@ Posts from Hell. Any idea how i may learn ASL? i mean especially by way of using online resources. In Ghana you can't learn sign language unless you are in a school for the death.
I can't sign the alphabet A and i've had hearing loss for 10yrs. i need urgent ASL help.

tanx to you all. A hoh is getting solace in this forum. I've avoided group discussions for too long. Now i know its universal to all who can't hear well.
@ Posts from Hell. Any idea how i may learn ASL? i mean especially by way of using online resources. In Ghana you can't learn sign language unless you are in a school for the death.
I can't sign the alphabet A and i've had hearing loss for 10yrs. i need urgent ASL help.

http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/75825-links-websites-learning-asl.html

That works for the young! I bet if I tried to implement that in my extended family group, I would get hurt! THey are all very athletic! :P

Nothing like a hacky sack to the head! I saw it happen a couple of times in senior high school classes! Naturally, the sign immediately after was "Sorry! Accident!" But it still got their attention!:laugh2:

Back