Statistics About Deaf High School Graduates?

Deborah

Reaction score
My daughter is still in middle school, but I am genuinely concerned about her future in high school and beyond. She struggles academically, and has a very hard time with standardized tests. During her last IEP, I stated that I definitely want her to be on the "track" toward a true high school diploma, NOT a "special diploma." Everyone agreed, but a few wanted me to understand that, if she DOESN'T achieve a "true" diploma, the other one would be "OK." I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it got me thinking about her future and what her realistic potential is...she has been diagnosed with a learning disability on top of being hearing-impaired, so I just don't know where she will be in a few years. I would like to HOPE that she will do well, but right now, she is definitely behind her same-aged peers academically. And she did NOT do well on her latest standardized testing.

So, what I am wondering is: does anyone have statistics on things like how many deaf kids graduate from high school, earn a true diploma, earn a special diploma, go on to college, etc. I know that these statistics vary, and I also know that an additional learning disability will alter the statistics. I know MANY deaf people achieve PhDs and beyond, so I am NOT insinuating anything here. I am just wondering what to realistically expect for my daughter. She is bright and wonderful, but she struggles with many concepts. We are probably going to let her go to a deaf high school, and I hope that her academic needs will be met there. Maybe she will truly excel and even graduate with honors. That would be wonderful, but I will be proud of her whatever she does.

As the parent of two teenagers (only one is deaf), I worry about them BOTH succeeding and reaching their fullest potential. I also know that it is up to the student, and the student alone, to apply themselves and achieve their fullest potentials. My son USED to be in the gifted program, but he has chosen to perform on an average level for the past few years. I am hoping he will do his best as he enters high school in the fall. I, as well as other parents of teens, am curious about statistics about American high school students. There seems to be a alarming number of students who do not graduate with a diploma. I am worried about BOTH of my teens, but I am especially concerned with my daughter because of her disabilities. Does anyone know where I can find some statistics about this?

Back