State Could Close North Carolina School For The Deaf

Judge Terror

Reaction score
Students at the North Carolina School for the Deaf in Morganton might have to find a new place to learn by the end of the year. There are only three schools like it in the state, but lawmakers say they can't afford to keep them all open and they are ordering one to be closed. Parents said NCSD offers their kids the ability to learn and interact with other deaf people. They said closing the school would be devastating.

WLOS ABC 13 News :: Top Stories - State Could Close North Carolina School For The Deaf

I think the one that is going to go down is the blind school. If you think deaf schools are dwindling, BLIND schools are literally hanging by a thread. I think there's only 36 students at the blind school.

And again, we need to raise awareness of Deaf School as a viable placement, especially to parents and kids who may be struggling. If the states promoted their Deaf and Blind schools, and used them as a RESOURCE, they'd be BOOMING. I can guarentee that a lot of parents are so frustrated with the way things are in the mainstream, that they'd be "OMG Deaf School rocks! Kids need to come here!"

Being a graduate of NCSD, I'm sorry it's closing or about to be closed...it's been in the news for a long time. My short time there (about 2 years) was enjoyable. Such a beautiful campus!

At the time I went there, there were no blind/African-American students there, just all deaf, from all over N.C.....Time marches on! I realize the "upkeep" of NCSD is very expensive. What about the one in Wilson, N.C. ? Is it being close, or has been closed?

Being a graduate of NCSD, I'm sorry it's closing or about to be closed...it's been in the news for a long time. My short time there (about 2 years) was enjoyable. Such a beautiful campus!

At the time I went there, there were no blind/African-American students there, just all deaf, from all over N.C.....Time marches on! I realize the "upkeep" of NCSD is very expensive. What about the one in Wilson, N.C. ? Is it being close, or has been closed?

No, you misunderstand....the Deaf Schools are being proposed for consolidation. They're trying to figure out which one to close when consolidatation comes around. How come NC has two schools for the Deaf? is it b/c one of them was the black school in segregated days? I mean I think it's a good idea to have more then one Deaf School in a state, especially if it is a large state. You know....maybe a good idea might be to deem one of the schools a mental handicap multiple disabilties School, for kids who are mentally handicapped but also have other issues like deafness and blindness. Like they would offer Sign and Deaf Ed curricula for the dhh mentally handicapped kids and Braille and low vision/blind ed for the blind/low vision kids. That would pretty much close the blind school, since sadly most blind school students are mentally handicapped. Also it would improve the education at NCSD so that academic kids wouldn't get watered down curriculum.

Back