Start with spoken language or ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daredevel7

Adrenaline Junky
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know some people are pro-ASL and most people have no problem with deaf people speaking. However, I am curious as to what people would do first when they have a baby born deaf. Would they try to teach him/her spoken language first, and if it is too difficult, then try to teach ASL to gain vocabulary? Or would you rather spare the child the difficulty of learning spoken language and go straight to teaching ASL? Assuming parents are both hearing, and willing to do whatever it takes to communicate with their child.

Total communication, Bi-bi approach with ASL and English.

The question is... should make ASL primary language or English as primary language.

I prefer ASL as primary language and English as secondary language because you can put deaf children through English Second language classes (Aka ESL class). Those forgein students from another countries are more successful when they enter ESL classes mainstream with English spoken schools. Why not deaf?

My wife is one of those ESL deaf students and she turn out fine with ASL as her primary language.

The question is... should make ASL primary language or English as primary language.

I prefer ASL as primary language and English as secondary language because you can put deaf children through English Second language classes (Aka ESL class). Those forgein students from another countries are more successful when they enter ESL classes mainstream with English spoken schools. Why not deaf?

My wife is one of those ESL deaf students and she turn out fine with ASL as her primary language.

Good opinion, but weak.

English has always been the primary for us all, because it is in general used by everyone.

ESL are for those who has problem with english.

I have to disagree with this, but do respect your opinion. Only in return I hope you can respect mine.

ESL is geared for foreign speaking people and encourage them to immerse into the American culture. However it is not for Deaf students, they would benefit better from a Bi-Bi approach over ESL. It is better for students to start with SEE so they learn the English language and are able to interact in the real world. I look at ASL as broken English in a way.

Good opinion, but weak.

English has always been the primary for us all, because it is in general used by everyone.

ESL are for those who has problem with english.

I have question for you... Do you ever learned ASL? Your discussion appears you never learned the language at all. Or had late deafness. What is your background?

I have to disagree with this, but do respect your opinion. Only in return I hope you can respect mine.

ESL is geared for foreign speaking people and encourage them to immerse into the American culture. However it is not for Deaf students, they would benefit better from a Bi-Bi approach over ESL. It is better for students to start with SEE so they learn the English language and are able to interact in the real world. I look at ASL as broken English in a way.

Bi-bi approach is still good because you learn two languages at same time. Better if three language to really grow stronger foundation.

ESL or BIBI still work. Both ways will do. I did Bibi approach, my wife did ESL and Bibi. But she took classes in ESL mainstream. We both never went deaf residential schools.

I have question for you... Do you ever learned ASL? Your discussion appears you never learned the language at all. Or had late deafness. What is your background?

I know ASL, PSE, SEE, BSL, JSL, and some others. Why?

My back is furry. What else?

Bi-bi approach is still good because you learn two languages at same time. Better if three language to really grow stronger foundation.

ESL or BIBI still work. Both ways will do. I did Bibi approach, my wife did ESL and Bibi. But she took classes in ESL mainstream. We both never went deaf residential schools.

If you want to truly learn three languages, take Spanish, French, German, and the list goes on. ASL/SEE/English doesn't qualify as a "three language education."

I know ASL, PSE, SEE, BSL, JSL, and some others. Why?

My back is furry. What else?

If you know ASL, PSE, SEE... you would have at least learned Deaf history to understand the language. You made a comment that ASL is not a language. I find that odd.

If you want to truly learn three languages, take Spanish, French, German, and the list goes on. ASL/SEE/English doesn't qualify as a "three language education."

I did not say that...

If add Spanish, French, German... that will be considered 3rd language.

ASL, English, Spanish... that what I have learned so far. Spanish very easy to learn because of its grammar structure similar to ASL.

Any given fact, English is one of the hardest language to learn. Its melting pot of many languages into English. So many structures changed into English compared to latin to other languages.

I did not say that...

If add Spanish, French, German... that will be considered 3rd language.

ASL, English, Spanish... that what I have learned so far. Spanish very easy to learn because of its grammar structure similar to ASL.

Any given fact, English is one of the hardest language to learn. Its melting pot of many languages into English. So many structures changed into English compared to latin to other languages.

There aren't languages without Latin. English were formed with latin words.

English is indeed the hardest, which is why I said that ASL aren't on the same level as English.

ASL is broken English? AsL not alanguage? Oh boyeee

I have seen personally that children who have a strong first language in ASL achieve higher literacy skills than students who have a weak first language in English whether it is thru SEE or oral only.

My son's deaf friend is 3 years old and she is learning ASL first before English and her comprehension skills for language development was tsted at the 4.5 year old range so she is now learning English and picking up rather quickly.

I say BIBI with ASL as the first language and English the 2nd language.
My background..I am deaf and a teacher for the deaf for 6 years but in the field as an aide, internships, volunteering, and practicum for more than 10 years.

There aren't languages without Latin. English were formed with latin words.

English is indeed the hardest, which is why I said that ASL aren't on the same level as English.

Tiny information left out.

See this History of the English language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

See for latin background influence of English. Scroll down to Legacy. You will see English have a lot influences from german grammar and vocabulary from Italic. That how latin mainstream into English through German and Italic language.
Latin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

American Sign language is very young language compared to most languages on Earth. Yet it is a language.

I have seen personally that children who have a strong first language in ASL achieve higher literacy skills than students who have a weak first language in English whether it is thru SEE or oral only.

My son's deaf friend is 3 years old and she is learning ASL first before English and her comprehension skills for language development was tsted at the 4.5 year old range so she is now learning English and picking up rather quickly.

My background..I am deaf and a teacher for the deaf for 6 years but in the field as an aide, internships, volunteering, and practicum for more than 10 years.

I quote myself in the other thread, "It depends on individuals."

That girl reminds me of a wolf I know.

Tiny information left out.

See this History of the English language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

See for latin background influence of English. Scroll down to Legacy. You will see English have a lot influences from german grammar and vocabulary from Italic. That how latin mainstream into English through German and Italic language.
Latin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

American Sign language is very young language compared to most languages on Earth. Yet it is a language.

Where did German and French come from?

Greek and Latin.

ASL is new, but BSL and JSL are way older than ASL and has more vocabulary than ASL. They aren't "spoken" language, but "Sign" language.

I never said ASL was broken English, I just view it that way.

I have seen children with strong foundation in ASL and end up being horrible in English. It is not a matter of which language is better for the children, its the matter of the children' ability to grasp materials. It also falls on the parents as well.

I grew up using SEE as my method of communication and with that, it helped me understand English better. I was lucky to have parents who were very strong in my language development which led me being able to read and write earlier than most of children my age.

Where did German and French come from?

Greek and Latin.

ASL is new, but BSL and JSL are way older than ASL and has more vocabulary than ASL. They aren't "spoken" language, but "Sign" language.

ASL has been around for almost 200 years. So BSL, so JSL. Deaf Education is not old. LSF (language Sign French) is father of ASL. Most of ASL is built upon French Sign language. I am sure BSL has roots into LSF. Need to find more information on that.

If you go international signs between two languages, about 35% of signs are similar as well as gestures. It easier for two complete different language to communicate between sign language than spoken language. You can pick up sign language of any given country within 3 months while takes years to learn spoken language of any given languages. Give it a try.

ASL has been around for almost 200 years. So BSL, so JSL. Deaf Education is not old. LSF (language Sign French) is father of ASL. Most of ASL is built upon French Sign language. I am sure BSL has roots into LSF. Need to find more information on that.

If you go international signs between two languages, about 35% of signs are similar as well as gestures. It easier for two complete different language to communicate between sign language than spoken language. You can pick up sign language of any given country within 3 months while takes years to learn spoken language of any given languages. Give it a try.

Quoting myself again and again.

"It depends on each individuals."

Beside, I wouldn't want to learn another language, but learn how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back