starkey - digital version

Percentage is not usually used in the USA. When referring to amount of loss the decibel level is usually given.

I have lost track of where you are, if I ever saw it. But the way you phrase things makes me think it is another country.

yes, you have right!
technically are used the decibels, but I think it is easier to understand the severity of hearing loss with the percentages.
Also you're right about my origin, it in fact I live into a very very very small European country :D

excuse me if I express myself in a different way compared to your :)

Not all of us have the chance for improvement. My hearing continued to worsen over the years the last test pre CI was less than 10% speech discrimination with hearing aids in both ears maxed out at over 100db but 2 years post CI was 94% and less than 10db using CI only.
Do you have CI in both ears or just one?
As I have spoke with many on who had just one and wished they had both to begin with as one kind of threw them off balance as they cant tell directionals of sounds...ect... But could hear more clearly with both one the second was done.
And those who have both CI said it was the best way as the brain learns in unisome and was so much faster learning than those who only had one done at a time.

As I have spoke with many on who had just one and wished they had both to begin with as one kind of threw them off balance as they cant tell directionals of sounds...ect... But could hear more clearly with both one the second was done.
And those who have both CI said it was the best way as the brain learns in unisome and was so much faster learning than those who only had one done at a time.

And then there are those of us like myself that are just starting to ask questions and have been "one sided" for many, many years.

I lost all hearing in my left ear at age 5 (1947) following an infection that followed a very bad case of measles. Now the right ear has reached a very profound stage and I am thinking even more of CI. I have a feeling with the "bad" ear having be gone for about 67 years all I would really get good results from would be the one ear.

Having been "one sided" for so long I don't even think about what the difference in hearing from one side or two is.

I understood.
however, it seems strange that the doctors have not told you the percentage .... at a guess, I would say that your mother has had about 60% loss (namely the average of both ears) ...

wow, that's pretty much around where I am at the moment! (not too bad, I'm a tough cookie. )

Only the left side. Its like Jane said I've never really thought about it being one sided or two sided other than talking to my audi about just having 1 ear done in case there was an advancement or something was developed better than a CI and help the hearing in the other. I can still tell which direction a sound is coming from just by the way it sounds. I can tell the difference in which way a car is coming from either up the road by my house is on or if its on the main highway which are opposite directions. Of if someone walks up behind me while talking to me I can still tell which side they come up on. Sure there has been times I had to look around when it wasn't familiar but can usually tell which direction a sound is coming from.

Only the left side. Its like Jane said I've never really thought about it being one sided or two sided other than talking to my audi about just having 1 ear done in case there was an advancement or something was developed better than a CI and help the hearing in the other. I can still tell which direction a sound is coming from just by the way it sounds. I can tell the difference in which way a car is coming from either up the road by my house is on or if its on the main highway which are opposite directions. Of if someone walks up behind me while talking to me I can still tell which side they come up on. Sure there has been times I had to look around when it wasn't familiar but can usually tell which direction a sound is coming from.
I just cant comprehend it, being wearing 2 HA.s and one goes out and Im single sided... I cant hardly hear as if not wearing anything, then still cant tell where its coming from or anything... very odd, throws me off balance.

I just cant comprehend it, being wearing 2 HA.s and one goes out and Im single sided... I cant hardly hear as if not wearing anything, then still cant tell where its coming from or anything... very odd, throws me off balance.

I only had a hearing aid on twice since surgery. One was to see if I still had any hearing left at all with the implanted ear(I didn't) and the 2nd was just checking to see of my old HA for the other ear still worked.

Back