St. Augustine Starbucks barista goes viral with her sign language skills

rockin'robin

Reaction score
An inspiring exchange between a customer and barista at a St. Augustine Starbucks this week is making major waves on social media.

Rebecca King, who's deaf, was stunned when she stopped by the coffee shop on Monday and the barista taking her order popped up on a video screen and started signing back and forth with her, she told Times-Union news partner First Coast News.

The very next day, she returned to the Starbucks to record her experience. Then she posted it to Facebook.

But even King, 28, couldn't have predicted what would happen next. At last check Wednesday evening, her video had been shared more than 115,000 times and had piled up nearly 4 million views.

It was all made possible thanks to barista Katie Wyble, 22, of St. Augustine, who knows sign language and digital screens going in at new Starbucks stores.

"It is a big deal to (the) deaf community that Starbucks has one now. Nowhere else has that!" said King. "We all want to have that at every drive thru in the world."

Wyble, who says King is a regular, said she wasn't initially looking at the monitor when King pulled up. When she looked at the screen, she noticed it was King and she started signing back and forth with her.

Like King, Wyble was surprised by the response the video generated on Facebook, but she was thrilled about the impact it's been having. "It's amazing, honestly," she told First Coast News.

"I'm glad that there's more awareness for deaf culture and the deaf community. To see this come to light and actually be a part of it, I feel so blessed," said Wyble, adding that she was glad King shared their conversation.

Wyble, a junior majoring in communications at the University of North Florida, said she first fell in love with American Sign Language in grade school. When she got to high school, it was offered as a foreign language, so she took advantage of that and continued studying it in college.

"I'm so happy the deaf community is finally getting some exposure," Wyble said.

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-ne...arista-goes-viral-her-signing-language-skills

Thousands of shares of this video on Facebook. I think it's awesome! Starbucks has responded by saying they're adding 2,400 video screens across the country. Now if we can get all the baristas to learn ASL, that would be cool! :D

Thousands of shares of this video on Facebook. I think it's awesome! Starbucks has responded by saying they're adding 2,400 video screens across the country. Now if we can get all the baristas to learn ASL, that would be cool! :D

i have had multiple friends and family share this on my FB page. I tell them that I am very happy to see that there is recognition of a much needed awareness for inclusion and it shows. My barista knows me by name and they don't even sign but just simply ask hot or cold, however they also are taking an interest in their customers now. I hope that this can become a bigger concept in our nation as well as in more restaurants/shopping centers. it would be so beneficial.

Back