Ssi

ID

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

First off, I'd like to briefly introduce myself. I am 19 years old student and a cochlear implant user.

This is my first post and I have a few questions regarding SSI benefits. I've been receving SSI checks for quite some time (almost 1.5 years) and after reading a couple of threads about SSI, I am having doubts about SSI.

Is it true that I will have to pay back to the SSI after I find a job with good income?

What are other things that I should know about SSI benefits that may put me in a stressful situation?

I wasn't well informed about the whole process of receiving the benefits so forgive me for being naive/confused.

Also, I was wondering what does SSDI do and does it act in a same way as SSI benefits do?

Thanks for reading and I'd like to ask a few questions later on.

Just make sure you report to Social Security Administration when you get a job and you should be fine. They usually follow-up with you and ask for your income tax return and other information. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

I'm not sure how much is the limit you can make from your job before they cut your SSI. As for SSDI, if I remember correctly, it only applies if you're seriously disabled and cannot work, or if you're deaf and have worked for at least 5 years (at least in NY). You can get SSDI and SSI at the same time.

It's been a long time since I've received SSI. Never had SSDI but some of my friends did, along with SSI, through their parents. Not sure how that works.

Here's a link you might find useful: Benefits for People with Disabilities

Good luck.

Never had SSDI but some of my friends did, along with SSI, through their parents. Not sure how that works.

In order to get SSDI, you have to have "work credits" - a certain number of years of working and paying into the system. If you're disabled and under a certain age (25, maybe?) you can use your parents' credits.

ssi I think is not fair sometimes I have a son who is deaf with a ci .My husband makes to much money for him to receive ssi. It would be nice if it was not income based so it could help with my sons theropy and accersories for his implant. Just a note my friends daughter is deaf and gets 600 dollars a month for her daughter and we cant get anything.Just venting. 20 years ago if you ahd a child with a disability you automaticaly got ssi WHATS UP??

20 years ago if you ahd a child with a disability you automaticaly got ssi WHATS UP??
Blame it on conservative Republicans who think that everyone on disablity is a lazy dumbass slacker who is using something like a back injuiry to milk the system. I can emphasize totally!!!! Raising a kid with a disablity can really sap your extra money.
Samantha, I know that most insurances tend not to cover CI accessories (like the cables etc) Are they absolutly 100% vital? I don't know too much about the CI accessories........but I know that sometimes the experts and doctors really push things like FM devices as 100% vital. It turns out some people love FM devices.......some people hate them, some people can do decently with just CI or hearing aids.
As for therapy, I thought most insurances covered the rehabilation process....Is your son in school yet? School can (and does) count as rehabilation. I seem to remember that your son's around twoish.........right? He isn't too young for preschool. Is there any possibilty of sending him to an oral school? Even some Schools for the Deaf have revived their oral programs.

Is it true that I will have to pay back to the SSI after I find a job with good income?

No. The only time that ever occurs is if they have overpaid you by a certain amount by mistake, and if that does happen it's usually a small amount like a few hundred dollars or so, and they can work with you so that you can pay them back a little every month. And once you have a job, inform SSA immediately and they will calculate you income into the system and your SSI will decrease, or if you make too much, they will just cut you off completely.

What are other things that I should know about SSI benefits that may put me in a stressful situation?

Just be sure that you keep SSA informed of ALL your earned income, keep them update of your current address, phone number, and any other important information.

Also, I was wondering what does SSDI do and does it act in a same way as SSI benefits do?

Sorta. The difference is that with SSDI, you either need to have work credits and be disabled or have a deceased parent with work credits and be disabled. With SSDI, you can earn up to I think $750 or $800 a month without the month being counted as a "trial period" (After you have worked for 9 months making over the amount, SSDI will be cut off, I believe) but with SSI, you can make up to only I think $75 or $80 a month without losing any SSI money, and if you make more than that then you lose $1 for every $2 you make over the limit. My opinion is that it's much easier going back to work and getting off of SSDI than it is to go back to work and get off SSI...the rules for SSI is much stricter.

ssi and insurance

thanks for the thread DD, Our insurance does not cover av theropy or speech theropy.policy says he ahs to ahve a stroke and lose his ability to speak to get coverage.since he had hearing before they wont cover it. They paid the 80,000 for the surgeryand implant but woulnd not cover his 5,000 dollar pair of hearing aides..doesnt make sense.He will start intergrated preschool in the fall when he turns 3. He will get theropy there and av at university of Akron.batteries are not covered but cords are under warrenanty.he has the behind the ear. He is doing well. He is only about 6 months behind.He gets free preschool because of his disability.and hopefully free college.he is all oral.and his preschool emphisises on that.You have a great memory DD

He will start intergrated preschool in the fall when he turns 3. He will get theropy there and av at university of Akron.batteries are not covered but cords are under warrenanty.he has the behind the ear. He is doing well. He is only about 6 months behind.He gets free preschool because of his disability.and hopefully free college.he is all oral
Samantha kennal, are there any specificly oral preschool programs in your area? Definitly keep him in the intergrated preschool.........but the thing is, that the research indicates that virtually ALL oral sucesses were products of oral schools. One of the downsides of integrated/general special ed programs (like the ones that accept ALL disablities) is that generally the teachers don't really have great training in teaching dhh kids. We really do need specialized special ed at least early on. Then that way, a good solid foundation will be put down, so he can REALLY suceed in elementary school.

Back