Ssi?

nirenameit

Reaction score
my dd's therapist tell me to get her on SSI. Would she qualify? Any of you get SSI?

my dd's therapist tell me to get her on SSI. Would she qualify? Any of you get SSI?

Becareful with SSI.. If you are qualify for your daughter only, maybe you can get SSI..
I did had SSI long time ago, not anymore. I have to pay them back.

Yes, She can get ssi and make sure ask them alot of inform/details about daugther s ssi in the future.

Good luck ! :fingersx: :fingersx:

M-:afro:

Becareful with SSI.. If you are qualify for your daughter only, maybe you can get SSI..
I did had SSI long time ago, not anymore. I have to pay them back.

Would you mind telling me what happened? I'd like to avoid such pitfalls myself.

I don't know, depend on the Social Security Department if she is qualify or not.

I saw a woman bring in her son, he was mental retard, he is qualify for SSI

Yeah I got SSI and food stamp, living with my momma. :P

It depends. It applies to parents who are living in poverty and does not own house. And your daughter might have to pay back later when she is adult. I knew many friends of mine ended up paid them back because their parents kept collecting them and they did not inform SSI of their income change.

It depends. It applies to parents who are living in poverty and does not own house. And your daughter might have to pay back later when she is adult. I knew many friends of mine ended up paid them back because their parents kept collecting them and they did not inform SSI of their income change.

If their parents did that, then they should be the ones paying it back (not their children) - they should know better than to not inform SSA about income changes.

Yes, She can get ssi and make sure ask them alot of inform/details about daugther s ssi in the future.

Good luck ! :fingersx: :fingersx:

I forgot to add-depends on income.. They only can accept is lower on income. Then can get ssi or not..

Mine wasn't approved cuz my husband 's job good income.

If u have any questions.. then you can pm me.. I will be glad to answer!:wave:

I received SSI when I turned 18.
I know many Deaf people who got SSI since they were little kids. I don't understand why they got it since their parents were both working.

FYI, SSI is pain in the ass.
I am STILL on SSI even though I told them I have a job but they said that I need to make an appointment with them. And THey told me that the next available appointment is in Janurary.

WONDERFUL. SO I am stuck to pay them back. (rme)

I received SSI when I turned 18.
I know many Deaf people who got SSI since they were little kids. I don't understand why they got it since their parents were both working.

FYI, SSI is pain in the ass.
I am STILL on SSI even though I told them I have a job but they said that I need to make an appointment with them. And THey told me that the next available appointment is in Janurary.

WONDERFUL. SO I am stuck to pay them back. (rme)

Just don't cash your SSI checks (give back to SSA), or if they are direct deposited, just don't spend the SSI money, and then when they say you have to pay it back, you can just write a big fat check to pay it all back at once.

Just don't cash your SSI checks (give back to SSA), or if they are direct deposited, just don't spend the SSI money, and then when they say you have to pay it back, you can just write a big fat check to pay it all back at once.
Yes, maybe keep the money in a savings account so it can earn interest until it's time to send it back. (Some banks, like mine, also pay interest on checking balances, but it depends on the institution.)

Yes, maybe keep the money in a savings account so it can earn interest until it's time to send it back. (Some banks, like mine, also pay interest on checking balances, but it depends on the institution.)

I heard that u are not allowed to save more than $1,000 or $5,000 if u collect SSI.

I did collect SSDI while as a grad student cuz my ex husband left me and I want to finish school so badly. Then I got my job but it was contractual without paid leave so I only informed SSDI about my job. They continued to send me checks so I didnt really follow up cuz I really needed that money since my paychecks werent reliable due to my odd hours. I knew I would have to pay them back so I was prepared when I got the letter saying I have to pay them back. My job at the time changed to permanment so I was more than happy to pay them back. Without that money during my 1st 2 years on my contractual job, I wouldnt have be able to pay for most of my bills.

I am paying SSDI back now slowly.

Would you mind telling me what happened? I'd like to avoid such pitfalls myself.

I had SSI back in 90's. They say I make too much money and so I have to pay them back.. Oh well, SSI think I make to much money. I owe them back. I don't need it now, I got job now..

gnarlydorkette,

She is right. I have done that before due I owe 7,000 that hit potjack to 400 dollars.

Just be careful because there are many loop hole that you have rights reason to not pay back due for medical reason such as your health that you need it for Medicare or health insurance.

How did I do that? I told them as clarify that they done is non-professional to write me like that for no reason just out of blue and said it. I am not going statement this but like I said there are many loop holes. Right now, I am not receiving the SSI. CUZ I AM DONE!:dance2:

If your job is odd hours, read the rule that you are allow to keep the SSDI, they have rule about the odd hours that you are not making more than 600 dollar that mean, it depends on state, here if you earn more than 50 dollar each that will taken 75 dollars down from ssdi paycheck.

Don't take my advice, ask them how the rule apply and you could keep that money but..

if you owe 400 dollar or less, you are simple to free to go due whatever the reason you have. Because they will take it when you are retired. 400 dolllars is lowlife. :o for SSA.

I heard that u are not allowed to save more than $1,000 or $5,000 if u collect SSI.

I did collect SSDI while as a grad student cuz my ex husband left me and I want to finish school so badly. Then I got my job but it was contractual without paid leave so I only informed SSDI about my job. They continued to send me checks so I didnt really follow up cuz I really needed that money since my paychecks werent reliable due to my odd hours. I knew I would have to pay them back so I was prepared when I got the letter saying I have to pay them back. My job at the time changed to permanment so I was more than happy to pay them back. Without that money during my 1st 2 years on my contractual job, I wouldnt have be able to pay for most of my bills.

SSI, SSA and SSDI are different. U can put money in saving with SSA and SSDI but not SSI. Reba has a good point, I was on SSA and I shouldh ave put those extra SSA into saving accounting and bank put have some interest increase for few months then SSA send letter to give those extra checks back to SSA which it is normal for everyone three months but mine was more alike 4 months.

gnarlydorkette,

She is right. I have done that before due I owe 7,000 that hit potjack to 400 dollars.

Just be careful because there are many loop hole that you have rights reason to not pay back due for medical reason such as your health that you need it for Medicare or health insurance.

How did I do that? I told them as clarify that they done is non-professional to write me like that for no reason just out of blue and said it. I am not going statement this but like I said there are many loop holes. Right now, I am not receiving the SSI. CUZ I AM DONE!:dance2:

Not with my friend, she is fighting but no power. Early this year SSI took her whole tax refund and will do it again next year even thou she is not making good money. Oh well.

If their parents did that, then they should be the ones paying it back (not their children) - they should know better than to not inform SSA about income changes.
Not every parents are wonderful to thier children and some of them did not know till too late which forced few friends of mine to pay back even thou they never got them only thier parents. It happened. Oh well.

Back