SSDI thoughts??

Hi Peanuts,
Don't feel guilty that you have developed such a strong work ethics. It's good that you have that. You're entitled to work to keep your head above water.
Have you contacted VR as some others suggested? They might be more of a help for you.

Anyway, best of luck in whatever you do. Try and go out a bit more, though. Even just to visit deaf coffee or something. The more you immerse in deaf community the more you will become proficient in ASL. Sallylou and LDNanna are both late deafened and they have managed to learn ASL and mix with deaf whenever they could.

Happy Christmas to you.

How come i'm not able to reply to this thread anymore? It keeps saying waiting for moderator approval?? Why??

Edit: ok now i'm suddenly able to reply here but I left 2 other messages to other posters thanking them and they said wait for moderator approval....

Anyways, I asked Midnight Sun about the Sprint speech to text and curious if it is a hand held gadget that picks up people's speech live person to person or is it just a phone that only works if you dial someone??

I think it is needed to have a hand held device that can pick up speech of the person with you live like in a room or anywhere...I know they have the software for PC computers...but I think this would be of special help for Late deafened like myself that still mainly relies on words/text to communicate.

Like an I-Phone device that you hold and picks up the person's speech that is talking to you and you look at the screen in your hand and read instantly what they're saying...what a LIFESAVER that would be!!
All the gadgets they invent, why no one invents this?? It would make life SO much easier---how many times a person has actually WALKED AWAY when I would request they write what they want to say---this would save that kind of rude and offending treatment.

Anyways, thank you all for the kind and helpful replies....where is the Late Deaf meetup in Florida?? I am in Tampa.

Don't give in to your feelings of guilt. You worked hard and put money into SS. You can use it cause you need to. You are not buying useless stuff with what you have gotten, you are using it to survive. Don't give up on learning ASL, it will give you another way of being able to communicate.

Oh where to begin...

SSI/SSDI:
No, you're not cheating as long as your income is being reported and taxed. If that's what you need for now to get by, that's fine. It doesn't hurt to have the goal of becoming independent of SSI/SSDI.

Barriers of being late deaf:
I'm late deaf too. I've experienced all sorts of discrimination including not being allowed into certain programs at the university. I also know how people treat late deaf differently. I taught myself to sign using library books. It takes patience, but it can be done.

Cochlear implants:
I got a cochlear implant when I was 21 (I'm 32 now). The cochlear implant was the right decision for me and works well for me. I understand it's an individual decision. But, if you have questions about it, please feel free to ask. My overall feeling about the CI is that it does NOT "cure" deafness nor does it restore your hearing to what you were like before you became deaf. It's a tool like a hearing aid, but works a bit better. You will always be deaf, but the CI may help with communication. Maybe if you had a better communication tool (ie. the cochlear implant), you would do well enough with communication that you could do the jobs you did while hearing. Don't forget that the biggest benefit (or maybe the only benefit) to being late deaf is losing your hearing AFTER you learned to speak. The quality of your speech may change over time. But, maintaining some sort of intelligible speech will still make a difference in your ability to communicate.

Loneliness:
How lonely you are is totally up to you. Stop CHOOSING to be lonely. Take more ASL classes. Go to deaf starbucks (or whatever deaf functions are near you). See if your local deaf community center has a support group for people like you. Go out and do things... ANYTHING! Transitioning to the "Deaf World" is much like moving to a new city. You might lose touch with old friends. But, you don't gain new friends by staying indoors and not giving you the opportunity to meet people. Don't try to meet ONLY deaf people. Make friends with whomever is friendly (hearing or deaf). I have deaf friends where I live, but I also have a lot of hearing friends that I meet through my triathlon club, yoga classes, etc..

Bottom line is this.... Put yourself out there and enjoy life. Then, you will never be lonely nor will you miss your life as a hearing person.

Oh where to begin...

SSI/SSDI:
No, you're not cheating as long as your income is being reported and taxed. If that's what you need for now to get by, that's fine. It doesn't hurt to have the goal of becoming independent of SSI/SSDI.

I'm late deaf too. I've experienced all sorts of discrimination including not being allowed into certain programs at the university. I also know how people treat late deaf differently. I taught myself to sign using library books. It takes patience, but it can be done.

Cochlear implants:
I got a cochlear implant when I was 21 (I'm 32 now). The cochlear implant was the right decision for me and works well for me. I understand it's an individual decision. But, if you have questions about it, please feel free to ask. My overall feeling about the CI is that it does NOT "cure" deafness nor does it restore your hearing to what you were like before you became deaf. It's a tool like a hearing aid, but works a bit better. You will always be deaf, but the CI may help with communication. Maybe if you had a better communication tool (ie. the cochlear implant), you would do well enough with communication that you could do the jobs you did while hearing. Don't forget that the biggest benefit (or maybe the only benefit) to being late deaf is losing your hearing AFTER you learned to speak. The quality of your speech may change over time. But, maintaining some sort of intelligible speech will still make a difference in your ability to communicate.

Loneliness:
How lonely you are is totally up to you. Stop CHOOSING to be lonely. Take more ASL classes. Go to deaf starbucks (or whatever deaf functions are near you). See if your local deaf community center has a support group for people like you. Go out and do things... ANYTHING! Transitioning to the "Deaf World" is much like moving to a new city. You might lose touch with old friends. But, you don't gain new friends by staying indoors and not giving you the opportunity to meet people. Don't try to meet ONLY deaf people. Make friends with whomever is friendly (hearing or deaf). I have deaf friends where I live, but I also have a lot of hearing friends that I meet through my triathlon club, yoga classes, etc..

Bottom line is this.... Put yourself out there and enjoy life. Then, you will never be lonely nor will you miss your life as a hearing person.

:gpost: Love it!

I know many Starbucks have Deaf Chats and I think I saw one for Tampa. I go to the ones I can in Clermont and Orlando as I'm losing more and more hearing. I've found nothing but kindness and a willingness to help as long as I am trying on my end as well.

Also, WaveDancer just moved to the Tampa area and is looking to start finding more of the Deaf community. Try contacting her. I'm not sure how many posts it is before you can do PM's, but you could put a post - looking for Deaf Socials/Meets in Tampa area.

Yes, it takes time to learn ASL, but at all of the socials/chats I have gone to - I have been greatly helped. Also, many know of services in the the area, jobs, etc. Don't give up! You don't have to be alone.

And do NOT feel guilty about trying to work while collecting SSDI - they allow people to work as long as you earn under a certain limit. After all, it may help you find something you actually can support yourself.

Get a higher managerial position. They work out of emails.

And you can use IM Relay to make calls.

You know, work accommodations for the deaf most often are very low to no cost and are basically a matter of common sense.

SeaJenSurf

Wow, thank you for that wonderful message...I will try and heed your advice (as difficult as it may seem at times!)

It's SO refreshing toi know there's SOMEONE out there that also knows how frustrating Late Deafened can be...

I am very glad the CI works out for you----me, I admit i am still chicken shit about it and holding off on it....I wear a very strong hearing aid that basically gives me residual noises....

Things like loud booms, loud knock on doors etc---and I am so fearful that if I get the CI they snip the residual hearing left and the CI doesnt work and then I dont even get the loud booms anymore...

It sounds crazy...but since I became deaf---I love the loud booms lol....makes me feel like I "used to be"---

I know get out more is good advice---but people can be so cruel---hearing AND Deaf---especially to late Deaf people---that after so many experiences where i was the wide eyed open one willing to learn----I got met with closed slammed doors time and time again that i just became jaded.

In other words, my feelings now are "Boo to you...I close myself off before you have the chance to hurt me"....

I know it's not positive thinking to say the least---but it is protective thinking and that is the mode I have been forced to go into from so many negative experiences----the world can be cruel to the Late Deaf person.

It may be unintentional---because they not know how to act around a late deaf person---but still---each time they discard you from their own insecurities---it's a piece of your soul they're chipping away at---

hard to explain---but thanks for that very eloquent and useful advice---it's so much appreciated that you took the time to share your experience and offer advice!!!! :)

(and sorry it took long to respond---I dont get online here much!!)

Glad I was helpful Peanuts!

You don't have to get bilateral CI's. You would still get the loud booms you like in your non-CI ear.

Another thing... my husband had a very unusual surgery (not to restore hearing though). He was born deaf and kept popping his eardrums every time he went surfing or diving. Since he is deaf (>100db loss) he figured he might as well just remove his ear drums... they don't work and they cause nothing but trouble anyway. I'm not recommending the surgery in any way (though it did help my husband). I bring it up because even without eardrums, my husband still gets those loud booms you seem to like. He doesn't hear them anymore. But, he is SO in tune to the environment, he can actually FEEL the sounds from the TV when he walks by. He can also feel the crashing of waves on the beach (when other deaf people can't). My point is... even if you lost all residual hearing in both ears, you might still get the loud booms, but just in a different way.

Also, cochlear implants no longer sacrifice residual hearing as they once did several years ago. That is something I learned from an ENT surgeon. I can't speak to that personally since I don't know anyone who had a CI that was later removed.

Ever thought about a service dog? Not only do they alert you to anything from door knocking to name calling and alarms... they also help you become more aware of your surroundings... AND dogs are excellent companions, especially if you're feeling a bit lonely or isolated.

I believe being late deafened is unique. It's quite strange to have the "sound permanently turned off", when you're accustomed to hearing. There certainly is a period of adjustment. I think hearing dogs are great to help with this adjustment (but are also just great for any deaf person). I've had my service dog for 6 or 7 years. My dog has been trained to alert me to certain sounds. But also, if there's a strange noise coming from outside, I'll see my dog respond and that gives me a visual cue. Sometimes my dog will surprise me and alert me to sounds I never trained him to alert me to. It's great for when I'm home alone or walking around outside. There was one time my dog alerted me and my husband to a person walking around on our roof (our landlord forgot to tell us that the roof repair guy was coming). But, what if that was an intruder?

If you do consider a service dog, be sure you get the dog from an organization. Don't try to train the dog yourself. I personally recommend Canine Companions for Independence (CCI) (Canine Companions for Independence - Canine Companions for Independence). CCI does all the obedience AND service dog training. CCI breeds dogs specifically to become service dogs. The moment a dog shows any undesirable behavior (too fearful, growling, barking, etc), the dog is kicked out of the program. You go to their training center for 2 weeks (they have several across the US) and they match you with a dog that fits your needs and your personality. You are also taught how to continue to train your dog if you want your dog to learn to do other things (one girl taught her dog to activate the "On Star" button in her car). After the 2 weeks, CCI sends you home with all the dog care items and knowledge you would ever need. A few months after you get your dog, CCI does a home visit to make sure you and the dog are still doing well and continue to help you for as long as you have the dog. CCI also provides you with a service dog license and any related paper work. (Don't forget that hearing dogs are service dogs and therefore protected under ADA and exempt from any "no pet" rules from landlords or businesses). CCI does require an application. But, I think the application is just to weed out people who are not serious or people that would not be good dog owners.

Hope that all helps!

Thank you for your reply MrsBucket....I was VERY proud of my work when I was hearing...my grandfather taught me early on to always have a strong work ethic no matter if you were the President or a Dishwasher---Work is work!

This is why I treat ALL workers the same...I don't believe in denominations. :)

But yes, it is extremely difficult being Late Deaf---it's like nobody knows what to do with me and it is very frustrating not knowing ASL fluent...(I took 2 yrs of classes and STILL find it very hard!!)

And lip reading forget it---I try and get only few words----so what I do is 2 nites a week sit there at the job and get $80/week to supplemt the SSDI. Reading posts here in other forum threads says I should feel guilty---

BUT, I worked since 1983 until 2005....22 years FULL TIME in communication fields with customer service and also worked p/t jobs on top of that for some years---

So it is me personally that feels I shouldn't feel guilty making the $80/weel fir sitting there as long as it is hoinestly reported and not lying like some people do....

I am constant in fear of SS yanking my SSDI away for making the $80/week...but nowhere can I work as equal to what i did as hearing for 22 years---
And believe me, I wish every day I could go back in time and be hearing again to live the life I had---my life now is that work 2 nites a week....and the rest of the week I stay home in my apt.

I dont go out anymore...I lost ties with friends and family bec they are hearing..I am totally 100% alone in the world now...and that is fine, I have adjusted to that...I am just in constant fear of losing my SSDI bec of making $80/week...

Should I quit that job then???...I am jealous of people born Deaf---like you say, they are sponges as babies and know ASL...can use terps....going Deaf at 35, in prime of life is a cruel joke....a curse to be honest.

My grandfather went deaf while he was fighting in the Army in WWII. He was honorably discharged, could never make the adjustment and ended his life.

What State are you in? There has to be some sort of organization for people going through this. My dad went through this when he was in college, I went through it when I was 4 (its hereditary in my family).

Since you were hearing and now deaf, if you can't do what you have been trained to do for so long, I think SSDI is okay for you. You should check with them, as I know you will.

Oh where to begin...

SSI/SSDI:

Cochlear implants:

Loneliness:

:gpost: :gpost:

Right on!!!!! :D

Back