Spyware and Your Kids....

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
" Spyware " is unwanted software.... It may track all the sites you visit on the internet.... It may allow other people to capture personal information about you and your family. It may cause your computer to slow down or even crash....

Kids who spend a lot of time on the internet may unknowingly download files that are infected with spyware. If they play a lot of games online, or if they share files with other people, they may be exposed to spyware....

In this age of identity theft, you want to do all you can to keep spyware off your computer....

Here are ways to keep your child from dlownloading spyware:

• Talk with your child Have your child ask before he/she downloads anything. Or set up a list of web sites from which your child may download without asking.
  • Keep Track of what your child does online. Keep the computer in a place where you can see what's going on.
  • Set up parental controls. Most internet services provide them.

Source: Spyware and Your Kids

Several times, I've explained my children..

Mostly times, My children *nodded me* and go ahead play game or other kinds..
I've been warned them....
*sigh* G'thing I have protection Guard Dog..
Doesn't need track down the internet what my child doing.. which there have "history" from Go--> history *click it* and what you see listing... (firefox user)

I'm very dispointment w/my little son and older son who played w/music on my computer and got hijacked into my comptuer which marked "sharing file". I was kind unhappy w/my two boys and put marked without my knowledge.. My kids are smart and sneaky..
Now afterall, My children cannot use my new computer and still contuine use my old computer.. because my children really hate old comptuer reason it's tooooooooo slow and frigg'n.. Rest my case, giving my two boys are learn their lesson! Which done badly my new computer damaged totally... G'thing, I've send to my new computer to MDG company (who my hearing good friend) will repair it.. I have not received my new computer back... They are struggle to get my files (folders images) put into cdrom for me.. and having hard time open.. They did put safe mode but diffculities open due spioled by hijack..

Not safe..

I warn you everyone.. Don't let your child use download music any kinds can may extremelly hijack which use "sharing files". Hijack are smart take over my control computer..

Right now, I'm using old computer and *itchy patience w/this* reason frigg'n slowest 450mhz.. LOL and researching for anti-hijacking. To find BEST software for anti-hijacking.

UPDATE: Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Angel...
I clicked you bought url... and reading information..

Extactly that what i'm looking for...
"Music, movies, and other software file-sharing programs downloaded from the Internet or from other computers"

Oh bless me! *kiss'n on my old computer* Thank you to Angel....
I mean that.. I've been searched it long time and trying to find BEST SOFTWARE and to protect my new computer"... Yes Indeed...... I cannot wait have my new computer back.......

Thank you Thank you Thank you.... :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Rest of my case researching....
:bow:

Good Thread.

I do not allow my children to download without get the permission from me.

If they want to download something then check with me first. I has no problem with them for their respect on us.

I noticed that my computer goes crazier since I allowed my children to download online games so I reboot the computer with the help from my friend. From now no more online games. If my children want games then do with PC games.

My friend recommended me to buy one more computer for the children to use PC games instead of use PC games to my computer because it could damage internet etc. We are still searching for reasonable price to get one for my children to use for games etc to protect my computer. If we find right one then with NO internet but games only. If they want internet then use my computer.

My children can't open internet in my computer without get the password from us.

I limit my children with computer hour. Example: My eldest son use computer for one hour from 10 am and 3 pm, my youngest son use from 11 am and 4 pm. Depend if they go out - no computer until evening... time...

I gave my oldest son my permission to download music CDs but wasn't aware of spywares at that time until now...RR had found alot of spywares in our computer system, which cause our computer to crash once in a while, also noticed our system resources went down which cause the computer to run very slow....Also I found out that when I am looking up some web sites for avatars and signatures, some of the web sites may have spywares in them....That's another problem....

Now that I'm pretty much aware of the spyware and it been a pain in the butt trying to get rid of them too.....

Well, I am usin' "Spy Sweeper" - Webroot. It helps. :)

Oh yes, online music, too... I forget to add in my previous post... That´s why I dont have online music, games, etc anymore... If we want then buy one.. It´s better than hassle with crazier computer...

I know it´s definitely suck to reboot my computer TWICE.... No MORE!!! Yes, we have Spyware including Norton Secruity but STILL no more online music, games etc...

Liebling:-))) said:
know it´s definitely suck to reboot my computer TWICE.... No MORE!!! Yes, we have Spyware including Norton Secruity but STILL no more online music, games etc...

We did download the Spy Sweeper program which suppose to booted the spywares out of your system, but it didn't help at all, so we removed the problem a couple of days ago....We're looking into another program that will help us keep spywares away, or booted them off...

Deaf258 and Vampy helped a bit with the sitations before...but we still getting those spywares...

CyberRed said:
Well, I am usin' "Spy Sweeper" - Webroot. It helps. :)

CyberRed,
Doesn't matter you say that..

Still hijacking are smart enough to break loophole another way to enter into your computer..

which i had high securities three different kinds but still smart break get into computer "quiet goes into" No difference..

Spy Sweeper is my former.. PRETTY SUX! Honestly.. There's still blind not even pay attention hijack using invisble doesn't see any kinds.

SAD!

Advise don't use : *MP3/music download put into cd* but still goes into your computer and hijack loves to use...bois sitting watching until big explode it.

Bearshare <--- extremelly dangerous spyware/hijacking are smart can access into your computer and itself automatic turn on sharing file..

Limeware <---- Ok Ok.. but still hijack are smart and break access into it.. which it very good security but can be weak too.

Any kinds software related music/mp3 download... Very hard and pick right security best the software 100% secure....
I do not want dispontment w/my children feels and wanted to have music download but they are addict.. I have to prevent that until find RIGHT software good secure.. for music download.

Why You Can’t Rely on a Single Spyware Remover

I’ve run hundreds of tests and one thing I’ve learned: no program removes 100% of spyware.

A simple solution would be to run multiple anti-spyware programs. But realistically, you can’t run too many. First, you may end up paying for those programs, which is kind of a waste. Second, the cure might leave you worse off than the illness.

Why? Well, one reason why spyware is so bad is because it slows down your PC. All of those programs each consume a little bit of memory, a little bit of CPU, a little bit of bandwidth. Running spyware programs does exactly the same thing. The difference is that an anti-spyware program will consume far more CPU, bandwidth, and memory than just about any spyware invader. The technical term for this is “resource contention”. You can actually slow your computer down to a crawl by running just a few spyware removers at once.

I’ve found the magic number is two. Two good programs are all you need. I recommend you pick one commercial product, and one free product.

Why Choose a Commercial Product?

For-profit companies generally do a much better job of writing spyware removal programs. There are many reasons (chief among them being that for-profit companies can afford to hire armies of spyware researchers) but some people will argue with me until they’re blue in the face, so I will just leave it as an empirical statement: after running hundreds of tests, commercial products do a lot better than free ones.

Another indisputable point in favor of commercial companies however, is that they can provide you with real customer support. Not just a forum manned with rude (and sometimes clueless) developers. A real phone # with a real person on the other end. Some of us really like having that option available.

The Down Side of Commercial Products

For-profit companies are legally obligated to maximize shareholder return (ie: make money). This can lead to some interesting conflicts of interest. I have first-hand knowledge that “back room” agreements take place all the time between the spyware makers and the spyware removers. The problem is that these agreements are difficult to prove and not usually discussed. For example, if a software program you’re running suddenly stops detecting a certain spyware program, will you really notice? Probably not. And it could end up putting thousands of dollars a month in the pockets of the vendor. Ethics aside, it does happen and it’s probably happening at ___(insert favorite anti-spyware company name here) ___.

Why Choose a Non-Commercial Product

For the very opposite reason, you might find yourself in the freeware camp. Now I know you aren’t one of those who naively claim that corporate software companies are all evil and that the free software products are hands-down better than commercial versions. But those people are all over the net, and from the hours they must spend posting, you might think that there are more of them than there really are. But in reality, there’s a few bad apples out there in the freeware camp, just like there are in the commercial camp.

So here’s the real deal: Non-commercial companies are generally free from the commercial ties to spyware companies.

"Generally" is the operative word here. Case in point, earlier this year (2005) it was announced that Aluria (an anti-spyware company) and WhenU (a spyware company) had forged a partnership and that Aluria would no longer remove WhenU. This was cited as the worst sort of evil by the fundamentalist freeware camp. Yet when it later came out that Lavasoft (makers of AdAware, the symbol of all that is good and holy among the anti-corporate netheads) had come to a similar agreement, there wasn’t quite the same uproar.

Despite this, I more or less agree that it’s not a bad idea to run an freeware anti-spyware program on your computer.

What Stinks About Non-Commercial Software

Two things detract from non-commercial products:

1. They just don’t work as well – companies that give their software away for free depend on volunteer work, which generally isn’t available in the same quantity as paid development.
2. Poor Support – If you run into a problem, you’re on your own. Support costs money.

So What Should I Do Already?

If you’ve read this far, then my recommendations will make a lot of sense to you:

First, use two spyware removers. Using just one will probably leave you with gaps in coverage, while running three provides little extra protection and will just slow your computer down.

Second, make one of those programs a commercial product. Not only will you get better (although not perfect) protection, you’ll get customer support in case anything goes wrong. Good products are sold by Aluria, PC Tools, and Webroot – click here for our latest testing results.

Third, make one of those programs a non-commercial product. You’ll have some reassurance that commercial ties aren’t compromising your protection and perhaps the satisfaction of putting a smile on a developer’s face somewhere. There are three primary options: Microsoft Antispyware, Lavasoft AdAware, and Spybot S&D. Hands down, you should use Microsoft Antispyware – it’s a much better product that the other two. And even though Microsoft isn’t a non-profit, the program is free and it’s very good.

http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000210.html

Microsoft anti-spyware <~~ Extreme good yes but winxp.. *ugh* some of bugs..

Did everything protection in my computer but still hijacking into my comptuer..
*ugh* Still doesn't any sense..
I've contact w/Microsoft company but have not heard them since 1 week from now..
*sigh*
:(
Just all I've wanted to make sure 110% secure Mircosoft anti-spyware full verison instead beta. Which I'm looking for..
by the way, I'm waiting for Mircosoft company will return reply my email sooner.. *hopefully*

GalaxyAngel said:
CyberRed,
Doesn't matter you say that..

Still hijacking are smart enough to break loophole another way to enter into your computer..

which i had high securities three different kinds but still smart break get into computer "quiet goes into" No difference..

Spy Sweeper is my former.. PRETTY SUX! Honestly.. There's still blind not even pay attention hijack using invisble doesn't see any kinds.

SAD!

Well, I don't use music/CD music to download in my PC to create problem from spywares/adwares. I download nothin'. I just visit what I normally do everyday. Just basic, nothin' more. Mostly I visit my PhotoShop and draw or to make some holiday avatars/signature images for myself. It will less my headache from downloadin' "unseen" spywares/adwares with somethin'. I just want to avoid it as much as I can to save $$ from spendin' on my PC at "computer" repair store.
Once a year, I do send my PC to the computer repair store to clean up just like "spring" time to clean up in the attic. :lol:

To me, my Spy Sweeper looks just fine. My computer haven't crashed yet so far.

Sometimes, trying to block it yourself not always the best solution. It might be a good idea to teach them about spyware and viruses.

It's like having a swimming pool and trying to keep your kids out of it. It would be better to teach them how to swim than to try to lock them out. Kids will always find a way to get in the pool area... oops, they drown.

VamPyroX said:
Sometimes, trying to block it yourself not always the best solution. It might be a good idea to teach them about spyware and viruses.

It's like having a swimming pool and trying to keep your kids out of it. It would be better to teach them how to swim than to try to lock them out. Kids will always find a way to get in the pool area... oops, they drown.

Good illustration. :lol:

interesting to know about them.. my kid dont use the computer at all.. shes too little :)

most of the time I don't let kids on internet.
if I do, I'll let them get on internet for kids only.
using parental control (no im, no chatroom, etc...)
just let them play internet kids games.

Back