Special Education for deaf/Hoh in Public Schools

Shara

Reaction score
I am seeing more an more public schools that have a Deaf Education program and are instilling in students a strong sense of pride in who they are. Academic Placement is improving deaf/hard of hearing people. It's an amazing thing to see considering my experiences 13-15 yrs ago. I was in a special ed class (HI) learning basic home living skills, playing and speech therapy from about k-2nd grade. Almost failed 2nd grade when I was mainstreamed because I was so far behind. But still had IEP's up till freshman year of high school, my parents didn't like the stigma of special ed, and didn't want my high school diploma to state "completion of special education" Looking back and seeing the drastic difference is just incredible.

My kids are in middle school now, but through elementary in different grades both of my kids had classes with children that wore hearing aids, and one kid in one of my son's classes had a CI. Every year they did, they'd come home and tell me about how there's a kid in their class with hearing aids. I don't think they would have gotten as excited about this if their mom didn't wear hearing aids ;) and I'm sure my kids told them all about their mom wearing them :D well now all those kids are in MS now with them too. But, they weren't in special ed. They were in regular classes with all the other kids. I'm sure they had IEP's though.

Are you seeing more formal dhh programs? If so, I think that's awesome. I have seen some amazing improvements and some damn amazing programs....

You all have not said anything about ASL in the hearing classrooms. Do they have ASL interpreters? Do they have notetakers? Was there a closed captioned or open captioned for video on T.V. about topics that the hearing teachers lectured about.

If they don't have those accommodations, then they are behind in their grades. That is why we need those accommodations so that we don't struggle trying to lipread and trying to understand what the teachers and the hearing students were talking about in the classrooms. I don't know if there were some kind of improvement like without ASL interpreters or other accommodations to help them feel at ease.

You all have not said anything about ASL in the hearing classrooms. Do they have ASL interpreters? Do they have notetakers? Was there a closed captioned or open captioned for video on T.V. about topics that the hearing teachers lectured about.

If they don't have those accommodations, then they are behind in their grades. That is why we need those accommodations so that we don't struggle trying to lipread and trying to understand what the teachers and the hearing students were talking about in the classrooms. I don't know if there were some kind of improvement like without ASL interpreters or other accommodations to help them feel at ease.

Yes the Deaf Education Program in the surrounding counties near me not only just "use" ASL, it is embraced, all aspects of big D Deaf Culture. And their taking much better care in making sure that students are properly placed in the appropriate education level with interpreters, i don't think closed caption is available yet I'd have to ask. their not just clumping deaf children with mentally challenged people and leaving it at that. Its amazing just seeing the change, the teachers are so impassioned about truly teaching these kids, its not just a job for them. and making sure they help instill confidence and self-esteem about who they are in all aspects and being independent. They are teaching young deaf pre-schoolers about the many prominent and successful figures that are out there. Back in my time 13-15 years ago in the public schools that was non-existent where I went to school.

When I was in grade school, I was sent one year to a school by the projects. I got into fights every week. After one year, I was transferred out. I never learned anything at that school. The next few years I was transferred to a school in a good part of town and did better, but there was still trouble with other kids. In those environments, it's extremely hard to learn because you can't focus on work.

When I got to middle school, I had really good special classes with better teachers and more friends. These classes didn't teach sign, but they had better ways of teaching math and english. The classes were so good and the bar was so high that when I got to high school I was too far ahead of that school's special education classes they didn't put me in any. If it wasn't for the special education classes I was placed in during middle school, I wouldn't have had the skills to finish high school. While I did get some awards for my work in high school, it wouldn't prepare me for college. At college, I had to learn and re-learn things to make it to the college level.

I'm still learning today for the possibility of going back to school for a masters should I need it.

Never stop learning..

masters in what? did you mean a University Masters degree??

Yes, a masters degree. In what depends on what would benefit me most financially. Possibly robotics as that is a very emerging field. I wouldn't do the education if there wasn't a way to improve my position, it's too costly here in the U.S.

If I hadn't had special classes when I was younger, I wouldn't have had the foundation to learn at a college level. Those skills are fundamental to further education.

My special education classes never dealt with ASL or deaf issues. Other than make me wear my hearing aid consistently of which, at the time, I was very resistant. This, in and of itself, was very important now that I look back on it. Without the aid, I would have been even further behind.

And, without special classes to slow down the the pace of school work, which is very accelerated to a deaf child, you never catch up when you miss things and the foundation is lost.

I do think mainstream education prepared me well for life, but it's harder for us and on us. If I had had children, I would have split it between mainstream and deaf education. Once those children reached college age, they could make their own decisions. But they would all go to college, that would be a requirement.

Yes, a masters degree. In what depends on what would benefit me most financially. Possibly robotics as that is a very emerging field. I wouldn't do the education if there wasn't a way to improve my position, it's too costly here in the U.S.

If I hadn't had special classes when I was younger, I wouldn't have had the foundation to learn at a college level. Those skills are fundamental to further education.

My special education classes never dealt with ASL or deaf issues. Other than make me wear my hearing aid consistently of which, at the time, I was very resistant. This, in and of itself, was very important now that I look back on it. Without the aid, I would have been even further behind.

And, without special classes to slow down the the pace of school work, which is very accelerated to a deaf child, you never catch up when you miss things and the foundation is lost.

I do think mainstream education prepared me well for life, but it's harder for us and on us. If I had had children, I would have split it between mainstream and deaf education. Once those children reached college age, they could make their own decisions. But they would all go to college, that would be a requirement.

What you are losing sight of (if in the US) is by the time they would be college age they are no longer minors and could decided to do something else.

What you are losing sight of (if in the US) is by the time they would be college age they are no longer minors and could decided to do something else.

You are right, they could choose to not go to college. And, given that it is possible that the children I might have had would have been born deaf, they may not have wished to prolong schooling(understandably). But, that wouldn't stop me from making it a requirement and leading by example. At the least, I could have left it open for later in their life with some incentive. Keep in mind, I would not have cared whether they used the education. I would just care that they are educated.

Higher learning aspiration hasn't been an issue with our next generation. What I see as a problem is the lack of work ethic kids have growing up today. People of my generation were working from the time of middle school. Most kids today don't get jobs until after college and are ill equipped for the politics of working life(a rude awakening). If you go to McDonald's today it is all staffed by adults. If special education could fill that gap, we would be years ahead.

You are right, they could choose to not go to college. And, given that it is possible that the children I might have had would have been born deaf, they may not have wished to prolong schooling(understandably). But, that wouldn't stop me from making it a requirement and leading by example. At the least, I could have left it open for later in their life with some incentive. Keep in mind, I would not have cared whether they used the education. I would just care that they are educated.

Higher learning aspiration hasn't been an issue with our next generation. What I see as a problem is the lack of work ethic kids have growing up today. People of my generation were working from the time of middle school. Most kids today don't get jobs until after college and are ill equipped for the politics of working life(a rude awakening). If you go to McDonald's today it is all staffed by adults. If special education could fill that gap, we would be years ahead.

I like that little piece of reality you just brought up,

That is really sad that only 13 years ago you did not get the help you needed.
I was really hoping things have gotten better since the 50's when I was in grade school. I was telling a hearing friend hoh and deaf students are still not getting the help they need in school today and my friend does not believe it.

robotics? emerging field yes but not stable. handful of robotic companies go broke because they lost government contracts unless you don't mind doing a mundane jobs at manufacturing sector.

few of my friends (they have master's) are switching out. only way to do it good is to get a job at NASA or Lockheeds. my friends are having good time there. no worry about money.

....my parents didn't like the stigma of special ed, and didn't want my high school diploma to state "completion of special education" Looking back and seeing the drastic difference is just incredible.

I didn't realize that some places give out different diplomas. I when to Alternative ed and Vocational ed and my diploma was the same as everyone's. At least as far as I remember. It's been over a decade and a half since I've looked at it.

*nods* Exactly. One of the things that people who advocate for the mainstream miss, is that a dhh kid isn't automaticly going to be placed in a regular academic track. There ARE some kids who REALLY thrive in the mainstream.....but a lot of times kids are lumped in with special ed. The overwhelming majority of mainstream sped teachers have very little training with how to teach kids like us. So we don't do as well as we could in a good program for the dhh.......we fall through the cracks due to not responding to special ed methods.......And yes, I'm with you too. Kids deserve BOTH.....they deserve Dhh ed, and they deserve the chance to compete in the maisntream.

I am seeing more an more public schools that have a Deaf Education program and are instilling in students a strong sense of pride in who they are. Academic Placement is improving deaf/hard of hearing people. It's an amazing thing to see considering my experiences 13-15 yrs ago. I was in a special ed class (HI) learning basic home living skills, playing and speech therapy from about k-2nd grade. Almost failed 2nd grade when I was mainstreamed because I was so far behind. But still had IEP's up till freshman year of high school, my parents didn't like the stigma of special ed, and didn't want my high school diploma to state "completion of special education" Looking back and seeing the drastic difference is just incredible.

You seem to think "special Ed" means a classroom placement- which it doesn't.

Special Ed and IEP's means the student gets support and services whether they are in a mainstream program or a Special Ed class.

For the most part, Special Ed "diploma's" are only given to students who have other challenges going on that prevent them from progressing within the general education curriculum.

That doesn't generally apply to students who are DHH given that they are fully capable of benefitting from the curriculum.

For the most part, Special Ed "diploma's" are only given to students who have other challenges going on that prevent them from progressing within the general education curriculum.

Do you mean that they did not meet the graduation requirements or that they couldn't do it in a standard school setting?

*nods* Exactly. One of the things that people who advocate for the mainstream miss, is that a dhh kid isn't automaticly going to be placed in a regular academic track. There ARE some kids who REALLY thrive in the mainstream.....but a lot of times kids are lumped in with special ed. The overwhelming majority of mainstream sped teachers have very little training with how to teach kids like us. So we don't do as well as we could in a good program for the dhh.......we fall through the cracks due to not responding to special ed methods.......And yes, I'm with you too. Kids deserve BOTH.....they deserve Dhh ed, and they deserve the chance to compete in the maisntream.

I agree. You need to take it on a student by student basis. If a student is learning and can handle the pace, there no reason to put a student at that level in special classes. In fact, it can stigmatize them.

More importantly, and by the same token, deaf students who excel should not be held back from advanced classes.

I agree. You need to take it on a student by student basis. If a student is learning and can handle the pace, there no reason to put a student at that level in special classes. In fact, it can stigmatize them.

More importantly, and by the same token, deaf students who excel should not be held back from advanced classes.

That should be true of all students. I was really bad at English and history but really good at math. I had no option to take advanced math classes because I was failing my other classes so they thought it would be to much work load. Instead they put me in business math. It didn't help me with the classes I was failing and only crippled my self esteem.

Back