speaking of misinformation

neecy

Reaction score
I had mentioned on the "See, it does happen" thread that there is still misinformation about cochlear implants being disseminated, which is both sad and ignorant, when you consider the medium being used - if somebody wanted to learn all they would have to do is do a little online research.

Prime example is this Youtube video making an analogy between hearing with a CI and seeing nothing but static on a TV.

YouTube - C.I. looks like?

I had made a reply pointing out the misinformation he was spreading, and hoping other people would at least take the time to do some research first and educate themselves. The original poster replied that CI's work only by amplification. I pointed out the error of this thinking - that HA' work that way - by amplifying sound and forcing it to stimulate the damaged hair cells in the cochlea, while CI's bypass that by directly stimulating the auditory nerve, and they are two very different types of input. I also replied to a comment there that word discrimination isn't possible with CI's by pointing out that I am a CI recipient and I use a phone, listen to the radio, use a CB radio, watch TV without CC...etc

He deleted both my posts - I guess his thinking is "If you can't argue with logic - delete it"

his video is misleading! That's not what is happening when I got CI.

What's more Mike has disabled comments on that youtube page.. but his video are on other sites as well

Most idiotic YouTube video I ever seen. It made me laugh so hard.

About the post disappearing or deleted, you aren't alone and you made some good vaild posts that I seen before it got deleted. Even my post in CI forum got deleted too.

It seem that some moderator are too trigger happy with the delete button.

People believe what they want to believe, I suppose. The guy obviously has a particular philosophy and so any factual/empirical stuff that doesn't agree with that philosophy, well he isn't interested.

Unfortunately, there is misinformation being dessiminated from both pro and con camps. When such is done by an individual, he is berated. When such is done by a CI company, or a professional, the misinformation is taken for gospel.

Unfortunately, there is misinformation being dessiminated from both pro and con camps. When such is done by an individual, he is berated. When such is done by a CI company, or a professional, the misinformation is taken for gospel.

Yep I have to agree with you on this one because, I don't have no problem with my C.I. so many misinformations against C.I. for all the wrong reasons.:cool:

No kidding!!!

I played an April Fool's joke on my hubby and other people by paging them that I made an appt this Friday to see if I qualify for a CI. My hubby fell for it and he kept asking me "Are u sure????" Then, I told him April Fool's..hahaha and all that.

Anyways, he came home later that night and told me that he shared my joke with his coworkers. To my utter dismay, they got on him about why I wont get a CI and he explained that I am happy as a deaf person and that sometimes CIs dont work for some people. They told him that he is lying that CIs is like getting glasses. Get implanted and the deaf person is hearing. He was like..no it is not that simple cuz the deaf person has to go to training on how to hear and process the sounds especially in the speech banana. They told him that they didnt believe that and that they respect deaf people for getting implanted and fixing their deafness. My husband was really upset cuz it is like they are basically telling him that they dont respect me cuz I wont "fix" my deafness. Talk about misinformation!!! Oh boy.

Neecy, I agree with u...the guy in the video shouldnt be spreading misinformation like that without doing some research. However, I do wonder if he had some friends who werent able to benefit from their CIs and that the sounds to them sound like a static TV? I gotta admit that the video is funny..wrong but funny.

The thing about these vlogs is I know they are false. People may joke about it or make rude comments online, but those of us who have CIs we know how it really is. I love them, and if others want to spread false info, go for it. The time it takes to "create" rumors, I am out there enjoying my life.

The thing about these vlogs is I know they are false. People may joke about it or make rude comments online, but those of us who have CIs we know how it really is. I love them, and if others want to spread false info, go for it. The time it takes to "create" rumors, I am out there enjoying my life.

I just happen to know who this guy is and to compound his lies and misinformation (and he knows this), he turned off the Comments feature as soon as he got a couple of responses trying to set him straight. So, that makes what he's doing doubly dishonest and harmful. :ugh3:

I just happen to know who this guy is and to compound his lies and misinformation (and he knows this), he turned off the Comments feature as soon as he got a couple of responses trying to set him straight. So, that makes what he's doing doubly dishonest and harmful. :ugh3:

I guess if he feels that threatened by people who are just trying to set the record straight you have to feel sorry for him really.

there are a few bloggers/vloggers who also do that. I guess to them, they can't see pass their own discrimation of people. It is wrong, but unfortunatly it is life.

I guess if he feels that threatened by people who are just trying to set the record straight you have to feel sorry for him really.

Well, I don't feel sorry for him because I know he knows better than this and is doing this purposely and then topping that with turning off the Comments feature. Just think of how many people, especially parents who seek this kind of information will think; and also, it doesn't the current genesis of a trend for the community to embrace CI/ASL.....

Back