Speak English!: Racist Revolt As Coca-Cola Airs Multilingual ‘America the Beautiful’

2d6l85h.gif

THe New Colossus by Emma Lazarus

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

my bad.
mean to write Mexico required anyone to be a Mexican citizen to speak/write Spanish.
Is that racist??

Mexican nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How Do I Become a Mexican Citizen - Ask.com

How does an American Become A Mexican Citizen? - Yahoo Answers

http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy....ublication pdfs/ocmexicos_immigration_law.pdf
Mexico has a single, streamlined law that ensures that
foreign visitors and immigrants are:
• in the country legally;
• have the means to sustain themselves economically;
• not destined to be burdens on society;
• of economic and social benefit to society;
• of good character and have no criminal records; and
• contributors to the general well-being of the nation.
The law also ensures that:
• immigration authorities have a record of each foreign visitor;
• foreign visitors do not violate their visa status;
• foreign visitors are banned from interfering in the country’s internal politics;
• foreign visitors who enter under false pretenses are imprisoned or deported;
• foreign visitors violating the terms of their entry are imprisoned or deported;
• those who aid in illegal immigration will be sent to prison.

other websites too.

Mexico required anyone to be a Mexican citizen to speak/write English. Google it
Is that racist??
America is a melting pot.

Yes, that was a wonderful commercial to show America as the melting pot it has always been.

And I liked the Cheerios commercial of the biracial family also.

A lot of people don't even seem to remember the poem on the Statue of Liberty.

Yeah but it sure has not been easy living in the melting pot for everyone.

my bad.
mean to write Mexico required anyone to be a Mexican citizen to speak/write Spanish.
Is that racist??

Mexican nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How Do I Become a Mexican Citizen - Ask.com

How does an American Become A Mexican Citizen? - Yahoo Answers

http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy....ublication pdfs/ocmexicos_immigration_law.pdf
Mexico has a single, streamlined law that ensures that
foreign visitors and immigrants are:
• in the country legally;
• have the means to sustain themselves economically;
• not destined to be burdens on society;
• of economic and social benefit to society;
• of good character and have no criminal records; and
• contributors to the general well-being of the nation.
The law also ensures that:
• immigration authorities have a record of each foreign visitor;
• foreign visitors do not violate their visa status;
• foreign visitors are banned from interfering in the country’s internal politics;
• foreign visitors who enter under false pretenses are imprisoned or deported;
• foreign visitors violating the terms of their entry are imprisoned or deported;
• those who aid in illegal immigration will be sent to prison.

other websites too.

The problem with this is.... America does not have an official language. They tried to put that into effect a little while back, but it failed. So, since America does not have an official language, we can not require anyone to speak one. Though a large chunk of American's speak English, it is still not defined as Americas official language... Spanish is Mexico's official language, just as Romanian is Romania's official language. If you want citizenship to many countries ( Mexico as you've listed and even Romania ) You are required to be fluent in their official language. However, since America has no official language, we can't require people speak something that's not set, can we?

The problem with that is, LEGAL immigrants are required to pass an English test. So this Coca-Cola commercial is nothing more than a political propaganda tool from the left which is trying to grant amnesty for illegal immigrants.

It's quite sad really ...

Yet, another staple from the left is ... they don't have "political views" and anyone whom disagrees with them are "racist and homophobes".

I am switching to Pepsi.

The problem with that is, LEGAL immigrants are required to pass an English test. So this Coca-Cola commercial is nothing more than a political propaganda tool from the left which is trying to grant amnesty for illegal immigrants.

It's quite sad really ...

Yet, another staple from the left is ... they don't have "political views" and anyone whom disagrees with them are "racist and homophobes".

I am switching to Pepsi.

Sure but who cares. :dunno:

Oh really? Who cares? :dunno:

I don't see Coca Cola's America the Beautiful ads are political propaganda or support amnesty to illegal immigrants. This video is about America the Beautiful in different languages and the America is very melting pot, so it doesn't mention about political or immigrants.

You chose to be stupid and following the controversy. ;)

I don't see Coca Cola's America the Beautiful ads are political propaganda or support amnesty to illegal immigrants. This video is about America the Beautiful in different languages and the America is very melting pot, so it doesn't mention about political or immigrants.

Oh really? I am not the "stupid" one.

You do realize that the song was written in English don't you? You know, for "Americans"? Lots of different ethnic groups of people in America speak English .. those who moved here legally also speak English.

The song was written by Katherine Lee Bates, and was written as a church hymnal.

Keb Mo's version is far better than Coke's version:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BKsUrcC1nU&feature=kp[/ame]

Oh really? I am not the "stupid" one.

You do realize that the song was written in English don't you? You know, for "Americans"? Lots of different ethnic groups of people in America speak English .. those who moved here legally also speak English.

Not really, you chose to be stupid to paint Coca Cola's America the Beautiful as political issue and immigration issue, since this video is just commercial with songs, so it doesn't have endorse on political or immigration.

It isn't necessary to have this song written in English, so they can show in different languages.

There are many Americans speak different foreign languages like German, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and others, so America is melting pot.

The problem with this is.... America does not have an official language. They tried to put that into effect a little while back, but it failed. So, since America does not have an official language, we can not require anyone to speak one. Though a large chunk of American's speak English, it is still not defined as Americas official language... Spanish is Mexico's official language, just as Romanian is Romania's official language. If you want citizenship to many countries ( Mexico as you've listed and even Romania ) You are required to be fluent in their official language. However, since America has no official language, we can't require people speak something that's not set, can we?

That's correct, no official language at federal level, but some states adopted English as official language.

Not really, you chose to be stupid to paint Coca Cola's America the Beautiful as political issue and immigration issue, since this video is just commercial with songs, so it doesn't have endorse on political or immigration.

It isn't necessary to have this song written in English, so they can show in different languages.

There are many Americans speak different foreign languages like German, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and others, so America is melting pot.

Duh ...

America the Beautiful was written in English .. not Swahili, not German, not Spanish, not Farsi, not Korean

In English. Just like our Constitution was written in English. Just like our Declaration of Independence was written in English. Just like our Bill of Rights was written in English. Not in Korean, not in German, not Farsi, not Swahili .. in English.

So, the next time you need an interpreter, just to show your support of "diversity" I will request one sent to you that signs in AUSLAN, or BSL ... since you have decided to trash an AMERICAN song with your version of what it means to be diverse. Since ASL is not the official language of the deaf, it should work out great for you then. You get to show how much you support diversity.

Sound good?

I agree, we don't know if those people in the commercials knew English... Jeeze... Seriously, I speak, write and read English VERY well and it's definitely not my first language. If you heard me speaking Romanian, you'd never know if I spoke English or not! People in public are quick to judge me being a non-English speaking immigrant or whatever but the fact is I speak it very clearly. So, the people in this commercial I took it as, they came to this country and were honoring it in their native language. It's rather close minded of people to jump and assume that they are illegal immigrants and can't speak English. I'm more comfortable speaking Romanian, but I can still communicate very clearly in English. Same for what this commercial was meant to project, I think.

Duh ...

America the Beautiful was written in English .. not Swahili, not German, not Spanish, not Farsi, not Korean

In English. Just like our Constitution was written in English. Just like our Declaration of Independence was written in English. Just like our Bill of Rights was written in English. Not in Korean, not in German, not Farsi, not Swahili .. in English.

So, the next time you need an interpreter, just to show your support of "diversity" I will request one sent to you that signs in AUSLAN, or BSL ... since you have decided to trash an AMERICAN song with your version of what it means to be diverse. Since ASL is not the official language of the deaf, it should work out great for you then. You get to show how much you support diversity.

Sound good?

The laws, constitutions and songs can translated into different languages.
Constitution Day Materials, US Constitution, Pocket Constitution Book, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights (US Constitution in different languages)

In bold, your paragraph is purely irrelevant and very unclear. I request the interpreter in ASL because I only fluent in ASL. If deaf people from other countries, request the interpreter in AUSLAN or BSL so it is their business. It doesn't have anything with commercial that Coca Cola made for Super Bowl. Coca Cola put different languages, including English into commercial to support the diversity.

There is no controversy with Coca Cola's commercial but you and other ignorants chose to make controversy.

I have a close friend whom speaks Farsi. He was a former special forces soldier from Turkey. He and I discussed the process he went through to become a US Citizen. He took English classes at Georgia Tech with many different foreign nationals. From what he told me, was that people who spoke Spanish have a certain disdain for learning about anything to do with American culture. He recalled that they would sit in class, and do nothing, to learn English, but instead, would mock the teacher.

So, after becoming an American citizen, he went back to his former classmates and told them "Speak English, or go home!!"

he is a level one redneck now ... :lol:

The laws, constitutions and songs can translated into different languages.
Constitution Day Materials, US Constitution, Pocket Constitution Book, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights (US Constitution in different languages)

In bold, your paragraph is purely irrelevant and very unclear. I request the interpreter in ASL because I only fluent in ASL. If deaf people from other countries, request the interpreter in AUSLAN or BSL so it is their business. It doesn't have anything with commercial that Coca Cola made for Super Bowl. Coca Cola put different languages, including English into commercial to support the diversity.

There is no controversy with Coca Cola's commercial but you and other ignorants chose to make controversy.

Just three words for you

This .... is .... America.

I agree, we don't know if those people in the commercials knew English... Jeeze... Seriously, I speak, write and read English VERY well and it's definitely not my first language. If you heard me speaking Romanian, you'd never know if I spoke English or not! People in public are quick to judge me being a non-English speaking immigrant or whatever but the fact is I speak it very clearly. So, the people in this commercial I took it as, they came to this country and were honoring it in their native language. It's rather close minded of people to jump and assume that they are illegal immigrants and can't speak English. I'm more comfortable speaking Romanian, but I can still communicate very clearly in English. Same for what this commercial was meant to project, I think.

Yes, I agree with you but I know some illegal immigrants speak English.

Just three words for you

This .... is .... America.

With no official language. :D When they make English an official language ( Which will never happen ) come talk to me about speak English or go home. 5 words for you....

America has no official.......... LANGUAGE!

My parents were immigrants to this country.... They came over on temporary citizenship... guess what, they didn't have to speak English! So, we can say...

The people in this commercial are temporary citizens on green cards or whatever.

The people in this commercial speak English as a second language.

Or, the people don't speak English because it's not America's official language.

Amazing how thinking about possibilities outside of your narrow thinking perspective open so many other potential reasons for this commercial, eh?

Your attitude is quite depressing, really. In Romania we get people who don't speak Romanian ALL THE TIME! Never once did I ever think "Speak Romanian or go home" WTF is up with that?

I'm going to add to this as well...

Coming from someone who had to LEARN English... do you know how incredibly difficult of a language it is to learn?! No, no you don't, because you grew up with it and were raised with it. It is NOT easy. A lot of immigrants bust their HUMP to learn but it's hard! They have to be exposed to it, just like ASL. You can't just learn it, you need to practice and use it to be fluent... same with English. If their family doesn't know it, they go into public picking it up... it's not as easy peasy as people think it is by far.

Back