Span of French Millau bridge, world highest, is completed

Somehow that seems so wrong.. Its like a death sentence, you know? I hate long bridges, so I'd never ride that. You know about the airport thing in Paris that broke? I see that happenening here. =/ But I suppose its cool, but poinless, absolutley pointless. =/

Pinkster, are you referring to the Concorde where a part of a metal fell off from an American airplane onto the runway was rebounded onto the left wing of the Concorde? It was an unfortunate error. I don't think that bridges are scary. I read the French news and it said it was French engineering, combined with Hispanic-American techology.
http://www.enerpac.com/html/Projects/Millau/Millau_FR_le_pont.html

Today, on the way back to home from Southern Utah, I had a very unique experience of driving from bottom to 1.100 feet above, by using very narrow switchback roads on the sides of cliffs. It seemed very scary to drive, as the view got more beautiful the higher I went. It was brilliant. I dont know how I would drive down that switchback pass as it would involve looking down the cliffs. Whoo! This was near Gooseneck State Park, can't remember the name of the Overlook.

edit: I found the name, Moqui Dugway... Here is a photo:
http://www.borntohowl.com/outhere/road2.jpg

this is similar to the Shaffer's Switchbacks in Canyonlands National Park, looks scary too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope they built it properly, unlikely the new airport they built 11 months ago which a terminal recently collapsed.

It seems like they build new things with cheap materials compared to the ol' days. Liza and I had a discussion about houses today, and we believe that the older houses are better built compared to the mass-produced houses that uses cheap materials and doesn't last long.

Any thoughts here?

By the way, this bridge is not for the faint of heart. :)

The road surface is 270 metres above ground, a world record, and the total structure, with suspension cables added will be 343 metres (1,132 feet) above ground at its highest point or 23 metres higher than the Eiffel Tower.

Alright, I ain't driving on this!

I meant, I love roller coasters, but this?

Imagine how bad it'll be on a windy day, it's already bad enough driving on the skyway which is around 50 to 75, maybe more feet high from the ground.

But 1,132 feet?

You'll see cars flying off the highways from strong winds.

After driving in Southern Utah (which has a lot of sheer cliff dropoffs on the edge of roads), I would think this bridge is much more comfortable to drive on. That switchback took me 1.100 feet up to the top of the cliffs. Whew. I don't think I would be afraid to drive the bridge.

Our new bridge opened up two weeks ago. It is not as tall but:

"Its beauty is by no means the only reason it is the object of such admiration. It is in wondering tones that so many repeat so often that this longest cable-stayed bridge in North America has been completed a year ahead of schedule and under budget. Many observers also have marveled at how minimal the traffic disruption has been while the bridge was under construction."
http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive/arch05/0705/arc07172435848.shtml

Eat your heart out, Big Dig Boston. ;)

Here is a picture I took of the bridge the Monday following the grand opening weekend. I was standing on the deck of the Charleston Aquarium. You can see the two old bridges in the background. In a few months they will be destroyed and removed. Maybe you will get to see a video of that on TV.

Attachments

• BRIDGE.jpg
    BRIDGE.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2
Back