Sound fading in and out and a steady hum in the background...

darkbunny101

Reaction score
Okay, so I was implanted when I was three and I am 16 now. I had the same internal implant for all of these years. However, I noticed that when I listen to music (Radiohead in particular) the sound kind of fades in and out when I use speakers, not my wire. Is that normal or not? It doesn’t happen that often and only tends to occur when I listen to music.

Also, I have another question about my external processor. When I go out in the cold, I notice that the batteries keep dying and I just restart my ear and it keeps on working. And when I finally go inside, and restart my ear and it stays on for the rest of the evening or so. Now, does that happen to your implants when you go out into the cold or not and is there any way of preventing this from occurring?

Thank you for your help. :)

To the first question, maybe you have a program that is compressing loud noises? Check with your Audi, that's what makes sense to me.

I'm not activated yet, so I can't answer to the battery thing.

Thank you for your input and I must say I do like your avatar. :)

Also, I have the Nucleus 5 if this helps anyone answer my question.

the cold might have an affect on battery power... I remember trying to wear my hearing aid outside when it was extremely cold out and my hearing aid just wouldn't function properly. But as for your other issue, I can't help. Mention it to your audiologist and see what he/she says.

Okay, so I was implanted when I was three and I am 16 now. I had the same internal implant for all of these years. However, I noticed that when I listen to music (Radiohead in particular) the sound kind of fades in and out when I use speakers, not my wire. Is that normal or not? It doesn’t happen that often and only tends to occur when I listen to music.

Also, I have another question about my external processor. When I go out in the cold, I notice that the batteries keep dying and I just restart my ear and it keeps on working. And when I finally go inside, and restart my ear and it stays on for the rest of the evening or so. Now, does that happen to your implants when you go out into the cold or not and is there any way of preventing this from occurring?

Thank you for your help. :)

That's funny. Back in my hearing aid days, my batteries tended to wear out more quickly, or act underpowered or weak, when the air was cold, but I don't recall having as many problems in that area with my current cochlear implants.

Free Online Binaural Beat Generator

Just a thought :)

Last edited:
Back