Something shocking and creepy, deaf wannabes, pretenders and others

You nailed it there Jillio, maybe its time to close this thread and stop giving them what they obviously crave.

You have a point there.

It was me who said we were being horrible. I was just trying to straighten things out because people here show them a high degree of intolerance. I'm really surprised at your reaction to this.

Off topic:

Correct. Look at the Washoe studies in depth, and you will see the flaws in the research design that led to those erroneous conclusions.

well actually Primates ARE very highly intelligent. In fact in some tests they have shown higher ability then humans. I think it s high time that animals were given more rights. So the conclusions made about primate intelligence were not irodious at all.

[/B]As for your question about my CI surgery, hearing is one of the five senses we are normally born with, what I am doing is replacing ,as best medical science can, something that should have been mine by birthright.

Well maybe they feel that they should have been born disabled. After all they did want to be disabled from early childhood. I somehow see a similarity here. Either we all accept the way we are without trying to change anything or we can change things one way or another. A normal state is no better or worse then a disabled one. There for wanting to change from a normal state to a disabled state is no worse then wanting to change from a disabled state to an able one.

They only came on here to post because we were being really horrible about their condition.

BTW I was born HOH and am now profoundly deaf but I can certainly empathise with their situation because people have been horrible with me too. I also see NOTHINGwrong with what they are doing. What does it matter what their condition is. After all their are a lots of hearing wannabies who have doctor's plant things in their ears to make them closer to Hearies. Raykat, how would you like it if someone said you were creepy because you chose to have a CI? Because personally I see no differance between somone who damages their ears to make themselves Deaf and people who spend lots of money getting doctors to put things in their ear to make them closer to hearies. Both are obviously not happy with the way they are and both are doing something about it. What is wrong with that?

Hearing wannabe? :laugh2: funny ;)

Dreama, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. But then, neither do you! You're a great deal more off than just the topic.

1. It's quite clear from your recent rants that one of your real agenda is the PETA idea that all animal life is equal. The "feeling" (as apposed to "thinking") is that dominance of humans is a bad thing and should be reversed. To make that happen, you people will tell any lie and suborn any logic.

2. There is no such word as "irodious." It's just more gobbledegook designed to confuse and gull the gullible.

3. "In fact in some tests they have shown higher ability then (sic) humans." There is no question that any species has one to several abilities higher than humans. So what? It's by these half truths and tricks in wording that you traitors to your own kind hope to persude the foolish to go back to their caves. Worse, you want us completely defenseless to the superiority of sharper teeth and stronger claws. It's the worse sort of duplicity; you people are truly ill.

4. Actually the human tendency to see through fakery (i.e.: camouflage, imitation, deceptive traits, etc.) is one trait that has helped us survive.

5. It's true that we don't always, but we are still one of the few animals which strives to care for its truly disabled members. It should be no surprise at all that we are suspect of those who fake disability for whatever reason.

6. "There for (sic) wanting to change from a normal state to a disabled state is no worse then wanting to change from a disabled state to an able one." Therefore means "consequently," that the premise has been proved. You are poles away from proving fakers and liars deserve equal status in this community, or in the course of daily life.

It was me who said we were being horrible. I was just trying to straighten things out because people here show them a high degree of intolerance. I'm really surprised at your reaction to this.

Off topic:

well actually Primates ARE very highly intelligent. In fact in some tests they have shown higher ability then humans. I think it s high time that animals were given more rights. So the conclusions made about primate intelligence were not irodious at all.

The conclusions drawn from the Washoe study was not in relation to primate intelligence, but to linguistic abilities. And the conclusions regarding linguistic capacity were erroneous based on several study flaws that have been pointed out through extensive review of the research. That is not to say that primates do not possess a degree of cognitive ability, simply that the Washoe study was flawed, and as a result, many of the conclusions drawn from the data were erroneous.

Mod Note:

According to this post: #95 ..pretty much sums up for which this post is coming across. No matter the desires or ills that supposedly 'fakers' are driving at, meaing, whether with an intent to reach out to others or simply in a malicious way trying to gain attention--there's no need to push these types of individuals away if and when they do come here to AD. Also, AD is not just limited to only issues related to deafness, etc., it's made up by the majority of its members being deaf, hoh, c.i. user, etc.,...therefore, anyone and any type of topic can be encouraged to be discussed and have participation across the board.

As for this saying: "..compassion is always the higher road.. and scorn is the lowest road anyone can travel on."..members surely can contribute and attribute from this kind of thread and the few members who came here only for this type of discussion, please, give them 'room' and the respect. As much as any 'other' member who so desire to have respect also, hence, it goes both ways, for those who cannot simply because of such opinions or beliefs or how these individuals are viewed, please do not bother posting in this thread.

As always, 'hope' is a better tool and greater means of acheiving or accomplishing to help, support and overcome than it is to 'put down such reasonings'.

Peace out!
~RR

Mod Note:

According to this post: #95 ..pretty much sums up for which this post is coming across. No matter the desires or ills that supposedly 'fakers' are driving at, meaing, whether with an intent to reach out to others or simply in a malicious way trying to gain attention--there's no need to push these types of individuals away if and when they do come here to AD. Also, AD is not just limited to only issues related to deafness, etc., it's made up by the majority of its members being deaf, hoh, c.i. user, etc.,...therefore, anyone and any type of topic can be encouraged to be discussed and have participation across the board.

As for this saying: "..compassion is always the higher road.. and scorn is the lowest road anyone can travel on."..members surely can contribute and attribute from this kind of thread and the few members who came here only for this type of discussion, please, give them 'room' and the respect. As much as any 'other' member who so desire to have respect also, hence, it goes both ways, for those who cannot simply because of such opinions or beliefs or how these individuals are viewed, please do not bother posting in this thread.

As always, 'hope' is a better tool and greater means of acheiving or accomplishing to help, support and overcome than it is to 'put down such reasonings'.

Peace out!
~RR

While I agree with everything you have said, RR, compassion is not the equivalent of enabling. One can have compassion for the individual with such an illness, but it does not serve the best interest of the individual to justify the behavior associated with such a disorder. In fact, my professional code of ethics forbids me from doing so. While it may have appeared that such reasonings were being put down, it was not so much a "put down" as technique known as "cognitive restructuring" which points out in error in the individual's reasoning. It is the very technique that is used for disorders of this nature, and quite successfully with those that are sincere in overcoming their disorder.

P.S. No disrespect intended.

Last edited:
Coming into a website where they believe they are "being treated horribly" allows them to continue with the internal justification that they are horribly misunderstood and oppressed.

I don't see it that way. First, humans as a whole, we crave acceptance. If (in another world) I wanted to be deaf, I'm pretty sure I'd want to be accepted into the Deaf community. And frankly, the only thing I find shocking and creepy about what's been discussed in this thread, is how people on this forum treat others. How on -earth- can we argue that being deaf is okay, that it is at least a neutral if not a positive, and at the same time call people who want to be -just like us- freaks? It speaks volumes about how not-okay we are with deafness, or for that matter any disability mentioned.

Second, maybe they're just defending themselves? I, too, would (and do) defend the groups I identify with. If someone on a strange forum made fun of or insulted deaf or deafblind people, I'd probably be tempted to join and pick an argument with them. The same applies if they expressed disgust over my religion, nationality, ect. I want to be treated with respect and I want to be regarded as a human being, just like everyone else does.

Why should some complete stranger be less deserving of that simply based on the fact that they have a disability -different- than mine? Who am I- heck, who are we, to treat people with BIID like interesting circus animals?

I don't see it that way. First, humans as a whole, we crave acceptance. If (in another world) I wanted to be deaf, I'm pretty sure I'd want to be accepted into the Deaf community. And frankly, the only thing I find shocking and creepy about what's been discussed in this thread, is how people on this forum treat others. How on -earth- can we argue that being deaf is okay, that it is at least a neutral if not a positive, and at the same time call people who want to be -just like us- freaks? It speaks volumes about how not-okay we are with deafness, or for that matter any disability mentioned.

Second, maybe they're just defending themselves? I, too, would (and do) defend the groups I identify with. If someone on a strange forum made fun of or insulted deaf or deafblind people, I'd probably be tempted to join and pick an argument with them. The same applies if they expressed disgust over my religion, nationality, ect. I want to be treated with respect and I want to be regarded as a human being, just like everyone else does.

Why should some complete stranger be less deserving of that simply based on the fact that they have a disability -different- than mine? Who am I- heck, who are we, to treat people with BIID like interesting circus animals?

U have a good point but I think the difference between being deaf and having BIID is that people with this condition sometimes do themselves bodily harm while deaf people dont. That is kinda hard to disgest and accept. Just being honest here.

U have a good point but I think the difference between being deaf and having BIID is that people with this condition sometimes do themselves bodily harm while deaf people dont. That is kinda hard to disgest and accept. Just being honest here.

Let's be honest: lots of people hurt themselves: suicide, alcoholism, smoking, self-harm, eating disorder (although I'm not 100% certain that after the first few conscious acts it is under their control)... not limited to people with BIID I think. Except that BIID usually need to harm their (often) otherwise healthy body to be what they think is normal for themselves.

I can't understand why people drink so much or smoke but I understand suicide and self-injury. Maybe it's just perspective. What I get out of self-harm (cutting :ugh3: ) outweighs not doing it - it's cost/benefit and the benefit outweigh the cost. Maybe the same for BIID.

No one said that they are less deserving. You are entitled to view it in any way you wish. I am giving my professional assessment. They are not less deserving, they are in need of treatment for a serious psychological disorder. To encourage them to continue in their illness does not benefit them.

Deaf Feelings

For years, I had known how to sign and had Deaf friends, etc. However, I had always labelled myself as "Hearing." I have had "Deaf feelings" for many years, but I thought that I was "nutso" or that something was wrong with me in some way because I had these feelings and experiences. When I learned Sign at age 20, I felt like a whole new world opened up for me. Sure, I wanted to be Deaf. I wanted to belong! But I did not find out about my own hearing problem(?s) until 1996. Even then, I still continued to label myself as "Hearing." I have started asking Deaf people what I am. Most say I have to decide for myself. I have more trouble with mainstream society's definition of deafness (small "d") than with Deaf people definition of Deafness (big "D"). For now, I am calling myself "Hard-of-Hearing" However, I am not trying to hide who I am from the Deaf Community. I am also see a psychologist. However, he is HOH himself and he can sign. Very well, in fact. There are some people who insist that I am "Hearing." But they will conceed that I am "hearing impaired." I think some of the confusion is from all the different labels and the different views. I have Asperger's and I may have LD's as well. I am a visual-spatial learner. I think Sign IS easier to communicate in.

well i know someone who a hearing wannabe and lying.

Shrugs i guess anyone who is anything wannabes need some help

Every single day, because I'm surrounded by my hearing friends, hearing boyfriend, hearing family, I learn something new each day of what I don't hear. Here's one ridiculously stupid example: Just the other day someone looked at me because I opened a jar. They could hear it "pop" (the air seal) open. I have never heard that in my life, never will. I long for the things I can't hear and the thought of a hearing person wanting to be deaf just so they can "fit in" sickens/saddens me.

Desire for amputation of a limb: paraphilia, psychosis, or a new type of identity disorder - BIID-Info.org

There is always something new to learn about our own brain and how wirings can get crossed or simple chemical imbalance in the brain to cause a variety of mental illnesses not yet realized or understood clearly. If Gender Identity Disorder exists so does the possibility that BIID exist as well. The brain can indeed be a strange little universe of its own with all the quirks and normalcy.

I wonder if BIID people ever hang out with people with disabilities that they want. Especially those who are paralyzed.

Frankly, I don't care what people want to do to themselves, but if you're gonna take advantage of tax payers' money to pay for what you want... That's where I draw the line.

Back