something i just learned about signing

dragonsign

Reaction score
I don't understand.. "learn to focus on the signers face, not their hands".
Ok I understand about emotion..but how can u read sign just by looking only at their face. U read hands right?
Is this a stupid question..are is that just me being a newbie?

You need to learn to look at everything at once. Together there is a lot of meaning. Facial expression is very important to understand the message.

Now I'm learning that u can't use fingerspelling as a sub if u don't know the sign for something. U have to wing it per say..if u understand that saying. Man surprise after surprise..but not down on myself or hating or quiting.

Now I'm learning that u can't use fingerspelling as a sub if u don't know the sign for something. U have to wing it per say..if u understand that saying. Man surprise after surprise..but not down on myself or hating or quiting.
I'm not sure how you mean "wing it." If you don't know the sign, try another way to phrase it by description or examples, using other signs and classifiers.

I'm not sure how you mean "wing it." If you don't know the sign, try another way to phrase it by description or examples, using other signs and classifiers.

Sorry..ok I what I mean by "wing it" is patamime, act it out, pointing, or drawing it..by that I mean when I don't know a sign for a word..describe it..by those things...hope your not lost I would be..

Sorry..ok I what I mean by "wing it" is patamime, act it out, pointing, or drawing it..by that I mean when I don't know a sign for a word..describe it..by those things...hope your not lost I would be..
Got it. :)

I am expert to how sign language social language ASL and ESL I am experience history I am professional ASL :) I courage to you really mind you question to me :)

Travis: I understand ASL- is American Sign Language. What is ESL? I understand here in Canada- this term means - English Second Language. Different is Saskatoon?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Travis: I understand ASL- is American Sign Language. What is ESL? I understand here in Canada- this term means - English Second Language. Different is Saskatoon?

Yes I notice it social on people have ESS and ASL mixing I know grow up on saskatoon!

What he is calling ESL just means in English word order, like some forms of SEE-Signing Exact English.

It doesn't make sense, and many people who start out with it instead of ASL end up with language problems.

What he is calling ESL just means in English word order, like some forms of SEE-Signing Exact English.

It doesn't make sense, and many people who start out with it instead of ASL end up with language problems.

it is true!

SEE language fluent on structure different kind of problem communication!

ASL fast understand easy communication!!

I thought ESL stood for Europeian sign..right?....besides..I'm doing good learning ASL from books, and a dvd. But will peruse college and Deaf communities and Deaf Church.

I thought ESL stood for Europeian sign..right?....besides..I'm doing good learning ASL from books, and a dvd. But will peruse college and Deaf communities and Deaf Church.

No it doesn't.

ESL means English as a second language. Some people erroneously use it to mean English sign language but they really are referring to forms of signed English such as SEE or sometimes even PSE.

There is no such thing as European sign language, just as there is no such thing as European spoken language. Each country has its own language.

That's the first time I ever saw the term "European sign." Where is that from?

that seems to be the most common myth I come across - that sign language is the same everywhere or same by continent.

ESL means English as a second language. Some people erroneously use it to mean English sign language but they really are referring to forms of signed English such as SEE or sometimes even PSE.

There is no such thing as European sign language, just as there is no such thing as European spoken language. Each country has its own language.

That's the first time I ever saw the term "European sign." Where is that from?

well never mind ..I just thought that cause there is JSL..japanese sign languag...did you know that the japanese language..either its sign or spoken is related to ASL..at least that's what i read on wikipedia..but wiki has been wrong before..

well never mind ..I just thought that cause there is JSL..japanese sign languag...did you know that the japanese language..either its sign or spoken is related to ASL..at least that's what i read on wikipedia...
For one thing, Japan is a country, and Europe is a continent made up of many diverse countries.

but wiki has been wrong before..
No! :jaw:

:lol:

Back