Some tips and tricks for appetite while under Ritalin (for ADHD) ?

Giulia

Reaction score
Hello,
On Monday, I was to my GP for the follow up between the appointments to my psychiatrist at hospital.
She called me to order because I'm starting back losing weight (and as soon as I lose 2 kilos, so more or less 1lb, it's obvious : last time I lost "only" 4 kilos, the jurist I was seeing for administrative stuff (driving licence, but it's a very complicated story), and which I've been knowing for 3 years, told me that it was like I had lost 10 kilos.... And it's unfair because as soon as I put on weight (when I am at 45 kg), no one notices it :( Too bad :( ).
The only problem is that Ritalin, at 5mg twice a day, suppresses me totally appetite even when I don't take it :(

=> Any tips and tricks to gain back some appetite ? Because I can't stop taking my drug, so I have to find other solutions to eat enough....

Thanks in advance for your reply

Eat plenty of fruits and whole grain foods. Those that make you feel fuller. When daughter was on ADD meds that supressed her apetite, doctor told me to give her fattening foods that would stick with her. That's how she got hooked onto rice. She loves whole grain pasta and that fills her up. Also oranges.

Thanks for your replies.

Kristina, this is the problem : I feel full very quickly, two mouthfuls and that's enough for me !
I have to force myself to eat some more, which is quite annoying....

Thanks for your replies.

Kristina, this is the problem : I feel full very quickly, two mouthfuls and that's enough for me !
I have to force myself to eat some more, which is quite annoying....

But, if you make those few bites something that you really enjoy, it may make you want to eat more. I would almost stock up on your favorites and go from there. Ice cream, chocolate?, pasta, rice, fresh fruit, fresh veggies?

Right in the theory :)

But in the practice, Ritalin makes food really disgusting, even the food you love most :(
Too bad, because without Ritalin, I don't have this problem :( (for example, I love gratin dauphinois, which is a gratin of potatoes cooked in the cream. I only hate the taste, smell and texture of choucroute, otherwise, I can eat everything :) )

=> Cornelian choice : attention deficit + hyperactivity or anorexia (which, in Greek, means "deprived of appetite" and doesn't have the meaning of "anorexia nervosa", and here, it's a mental condition. But in Greek, and normally medically speaking, you can be anorexic for plenty of reasons, and not only because of an eating disorder) ?

Maybe I have to tell my GP about this problem (I see my psychiatrist only on February 26th, so my GP follows between my appointments at hospital)...

But in the meantime, I try to find some tips to solve my problem, because I started back losing weight (and when I lose even only 2kg, I get short of breath at effort and I am more sensitive to cold), which my GP doesn't like..... (and that's perfectly logical !!)

Back