Some jailbroken iOS devices with iMessage getting hacked/spammed by Anonymous

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
iMessage DDoS attacks foreshadow a bigger threat - SlashGear

Recently, several iOS developers became victims to an iMessage DDoS attack that crashed their app and inhibited their devices. The attacks were executed using a simple AppleScript, where the attackers are able to send out an unlimited, fast-pace amount of messages to the recipient. Depending on the content of the message, the app would either crash, or would shell out notifications at an annoyingly, alarming rate.

The good news for right now is that the attacks only seem to be limited to a small group of people, and only to devices that have been jailbroken. However, the bad news is that anybody, jailbroken iPhone or not, can become a victim to these attacks. One of the victims, Grant Paul, stated, “What’s happening is a simple flood: Apple doesn’t seem to limit how fast messages can be sent, so the attacker is able to send thousands of messages very quickly.” It also looks like the hackers are using throwaway emails, so simply blocking their email will not solve the issue.

iMessage-DDoS-attacks-foreshadow-a-bigger-threat-1-234x500.jpg

Another victim, iH8sn0w, stated that he was attacked on Wednesday night. He received a blast of messages saying “Hello Human” and “We are Anonymous…” He was able to track down the sender’s email. The developers have discovered that the attacks originated from a Twitter account that sells UDIDs, and that the account was also responsible for facilitating the installation of pirated apps.

While these attacks are small now, they have the potential of becoming widespread. All the attacker needs is your email address. These attacks are able to stall your device because you would need to clear you iMessage queue in order to perform any other actions. Another version of the attack involves mass sending of unicode characters and/or large messages, which ends up crashing your iMessage app and prevents you from re-opening it. Right now, there are no real solutions to the problem besides disabling your iMessage app. Hopefully Apple is able to come up with an effective solution soon.

that's terrible jailbroken iOS device is risk to hackers.

now Apple needs to go back to its drawing board and figure out a simple effective process.

Going to pass this article on to a friend who's been trying to jailbreak her phone.

This is part reason why I don't want third party cracking code for me cause I will never know what they are doing exactly other than just crack code to allow other providers use it.

Plus jailbreak can void warranty and insurance coverage. Worth the additional risk? I don't think so.

This is part reason why I don't want third party cracking code for me cause I will never know what they are doing exactly other than just crack code to allow other providers use it.

Plus jailbreak can void warranty and insurance coverage. Worth the additional risk? I don't think so.

The risk is minimal or nothing because jailbroken can be easily wipe out with recovery - really simple and easy to do it.

I have used jailbroken iPhone for years now - haven't any problem with mine.

Back