so i need some advice

plg0006

Reaction score
alright everyone.. so im new to this forum! I have recently been diagnosed with a low frequency hearing loss and i hav been advised to get hearing aids. I am a college freshman and I am not covered by insurance so money will deff. be a factor on whether or not i can actually afford them. Anyone have any kind of hearing aid they love? possitives and negatives on the type you use? any suggestions? i have been looking and so far i am liking the look of the bte types but i am unsure. Dont want to gointo my appointment being completly blind to my options. Thank you:lol:

BTE hearing aids will enable you to use an fm system which could be useful if you are in college, maybe you could investigate whether your college disability office can help you with funding. I used an fm system at university and found it very helpful, it was a Phonak Smartlink and here's a link with some info about them:

SmartLink+ transmitter and two MLxi receivers - QMLXI4 - connevans.co.uk

BTEs also tend to have other useful features which smaller HAs do not have, i.e. telecoil, directional microphones.

Hope that helps.

I've tried both analog and digital hearing aids, and I always go back to my old analog hearing aid. The sounds just seem more natural to my ear, and it doesn't compress the background noises (I'd always hear myself talking) like the digital does. Something to think about.

If you're in college, you might (depending on your finances) be qualified for VR services. They may cover the cost of your HAs. I don't know if you are in the US.

I've tried both analog and digital hearing aids, and I always go back to my old analog hearing aid. The sounds just seem more natural to my ear, and it doesn't compress the background noises (I'd always hear myself talking) like the digital does. Something to think about.

I'm the same way but it is getting more difficult to find analogs these days....it seems

i'm in school and an FM prob could help you out, go to your disability office at school and see what they have in regards to services for the deaf/hard of hearing. I have note takers and use an fm ...I have 2 bte hearing aids but I don't have a low loss i have a severe/profoundish loss and I use power aids ..you may want to look at the diff companies..oticon and phonak seem to be the most popular atm ..I use phonak naidas myself:)

What program are you in?

thanks all

I appreciate all the help! is there anywhere else you suggest i go to achieve some financia assistance? also, i went to my appt and they told me about the custom ear molds for the bte HA.... what kinds and colors do you all use? any pictures?:P thanks

BTE hearing aids will enable you to use an fm system which could be useful if you are in college, maybe you could investigate whether your college disability office can help you with funding. I used an fm system at university and found it very helpful, it was a Phonak Smartlink and here's a link with some info about them:

SmartLink+ transmitter and two MLxi receivers - QMLXI4 - connevans.co.uk

BTEs also tend to have other useful features which smaller HAs do not have, i.e. telecoil, directional microphones.

Hope that helps.

I agree. I lost my hearing while in college and wish my college had an FM system. It would have saved me from dropping out.

Where did you have your hearing test at an audiologist's office or by a HA salesman.? I would only get an HA from a reliable audiologist that will get you the HA the will best will your hearing lost.

http://www.hearingloss.org/content/financial-assistance-programs-foundations

I found this link that has a list of places that help with the cost of HA. I do not know what state you live in but my state, Massachusetts has Rehab centers that help people that are going to collage buy HA.

go with the BTE, I had them all my life!
if you're gonna go with Oticon, well they're an awesome brand now that they have neat stuff

BTE hearing aids are a good option. These devices are suitable for severe hearing disability or when hearing loss changes significantly from one pitch to the other. Besides, they are smaller and use the latest technology. As a college student you might get financial assistance from disability office or state vocational rehabilitation agencies.

BTE hearing aids are a good option. These devices are suitable for severe hearing disability or when hearing loss changes significantly from one pitch to the other. Besides, they are smaller and use the latest technology. As a college student you might get financial assistance from disability office or state vocational rehabilitation agencies.

argeed, that's why I decided to stick with BTEs 4ever :)

I appreciate all the help! is there anywhere else you suggest i go to achieve some financia assistance? also, i went to my appt and they told me about the custom ear molds for the bte HA.... what kinds and colors do you all use? any pictures?:P thanks

You can get all kinds of colors........solid, sparkley tye dyed etc

Back