Smaller coil?

Danb

Reaction score
Is there a way to get a smaller coil for a CI? Why is the coil so large anyways? The magnets are puny!

Does the magnet interfere with the coil signal if its too close to the coil? If that's the case,there are metals, like mu-metal, that will dampen a magnetic field pretty well. Especially for a weak magnet like a CI magnet.

Besides the convenience for people with dexterity problems, or children, i don't see the benefits of having a huge coil stuck to your head.

I cant answer that question for you, but I can say I will take the size of the coil over an annoying ear mold any day.

To me it is a small price to pay, I dont find my coil overly large, I have the Med-El Opus 2 processor. It easily fits underneath a ball cap (which i normally wear 24/7).

my 2 cents

Thanks. It seems like the coil i have is bigger. My coil is 80% of the size of my BTE. I have a Nucleus. I'm hoping to upgrade to the newest one soon, which is smaller i think.

Thanks. It seems like the coil i have is bigger. My coil is 80% of the size of my BTE. I have a Nucleus. I'm hoping to upgrade to the newest one soon, which is smaller i think.

Theres a new one? Thought Nucleus 5 is the latest generation from cochlear America, harmony from AB

I think mine's called a Nucleus Freedom. I've had it for 3, going on 4 years, and it wasn't a new model when i got it.

I chatted online with someone from Cochlear and they said i was eligible to upgrade, to the Nucleus 5. I just need to get my doctors to send in the insurance paper work.

I think mine's called a Nucleus Freedom. I've had it for 3, going on 4 years, and it wasn't a new model when i got it.

I chatted online with someone from Cochlear and they said i was eligible to upgrade, to the Nucleus 5. I just need to get my doctors to send in the insurance paper work.

oh oh my bad, I thought that was just called the freedom without nucleus in it. Yeah the n5 is one sexy processor.

When you guys talk about upgrading, is that for the part that goes outside your head only? You don't have to have surgery again to upgrade, do you?

When you guys talk about upgrading, is that for the part that goes outside your head only? You don't have to have surgery again to upgrade, do you?

No, the implant remains the same. You can always upgrade the processor (outside part). However, older implant people may have to wait longer since they have to make the implant compatible with new technology (processor)

Yeah exactly. Just the parts outside the head.

I was told my current implant is upgradable for all future external parts. Not sure how they would be certain of that though.

The coil is an RF coil. The RF coil in a CI carries both the signal (sound) and the power (from the external battery). The larger diameter the RF coil is, the more effient it typically is. This means, that as you make it smaller, typically battery consumption goes up. It is essentially a balancing act.

The balance is a coil about an inch in diameter. All CI companies use very similar size coils and that is not an coincidence.

Also, the magnets that are used are very strong magnets. They are NdFeB magnets. They are the strongest permanent magnets available.

C1

Back