Sleight of Hand

OK my 12 year old son came up with this one.

Make a closed O fist over the left side of your chest and tap there repeatedly as in the sign for consuming food. Then point to another person.

English idom that means: "I want you to be extremely jealous of my accomplishments"

This idiom is "Eat your heart out."

Oh no! I promised each of my kids if they came up with an idiom for me to post here that I would put it up and tell which one of them did it. But I didn't count on my little 7 year old inventing one of his own! I promised to post it. Oh well.

Sign: That, and point to anything.
Sign: More and Huge
Sign: Plumber
Sign: Break
Meaning: Something that is of a greater size than this thing that is being signed about.
Hint: One of his Uncles is a Plumber and the Uncles make these kinds of jokes when the women are not present. (sigh) This idiom was just invented by my 7 year old son. See if you can guess it. :smile:

I swear he made this up on his own! I stared at him for several minutes with my mouth open.

Wow, two idioms in a row to guess and a "made-up" one at that. This is getting way too hard.

The only answer all the clues suggest is the old army term, "blivit," which is ten pounds of excrement in a five-pound bag.

Wow, two idioms in a row to guess and a "made-up" one at that. This is getting way too hard.

The only answer all the clues suggest is the old army term, "blivit," which is ten pounds of excrement in a five-pound bag.

Ok I admit a made up one is too hard, especially when thinking about 7 year old boy humor! Here is the idiom he made up....

That is bigger than a plumbers crack!:dunno2:

Eat your heart out is correct!

This four-word idiom means someone is gossiping about me or discussing me.

1. Press the right open hand, fingers extended and joined, flat against your upper chest for the personal possessive.

2. Place yiur right index finger on your upper ear where it joins the head and trace a “C” around and down to the earlobe. You might place both index fingers to both ears for plural.

3. In ASL, this word isn’t signed, but in SEE the sign is R fingers to the chin and then out a few inches.

4. Wave the fingers of both hands in front of your chest, palms towards you, for “flames.”

This four-word idiom means someone is gossiping about me or discussing me.

1. Press the right open hand, fingers extended and joined, flat against your upper chest for the personal possessive.

2. Place yiur right index finger on your upper ear where it joins the head and trace a “C” around and down to the earlobe. You might place both index fingers to both ears for plural.

3. In ASL, this word isn’t signed, but in SEE the sign is R fingers to the chin and then out a few inches.

4. Wave the fingers of both hands in front of your chest, palms towards you, for “flames.”

My Ears Are Burning!

Going to do two. One, everyone should know, and another that probably only military knows.

1:

Sign "I" "Give to group of people" "little" "they" "take" "alot"

Means: more I help, the more they depend on me.

2:

Sign "Go" "Find" "Chemical" "Light" "Battery"

Means: A joke we play on a new soldier just to waste their time and get them smoked.

Going to do two. One, everyone should know, and another that probably only military knows.

1:

2:

Means: A joke we play on a new soldier just to waste their time and get them smoked.

Oh I know the answer... oh wait... no......yeah I got it....nope I didn't get it... I gave up!!!! My brain hurts.... this game too advanced for me....sorry....... I tried....

Oh I know the answer... oh wait... no......yeah I got it....nope I didn't get it... I gave up!!!! My brain hurts.... this game too advanced for me....sorry....... I tried....

oh come on! You can do the first one! Here I'll give you the first half, then you finish it. (No one else try this one please, Brother has tried and needs a booste)

OK here is the first part of number one... "Give them an inch and....." OK! Brother! Finish That Idiom! Go! Go! You can do it!

1:

2:

Ok, I don't think I've heard this one, but I bet it's just like the one that we used to do to newbies when fixing helicopters. We used to tell newbies to go find some "prop wash". That was supposed to be a special liqued to wash the propellers. The poor newbie would be looking all over for prop wash, when all he needed to get was soap and water. Sometimes they ended up looking for over an hour befor someone had mercy on them what to get.

Ok, I don't think I've heard this one, but I bet it's just like the one that we used to do to newbies when fixing helicopters. We used to tell newbies to go find some "prop wash". That was supposed to be a special liqued to wash the propellers. The poor newbie would be looking all over for prop wash, when all he needed to get was soap and water. Sometimes they ended up looking for over an hour befor someone had mercy on them what to get.

Kinda like it. Tell them go get some chem-lite batteries. Of cousre, they don't need batteries, they run off of Chemicals. Now-a-days, they come with batteries now.

Other one is the Prick Echo 7 or the exhaust sample on a truck. Other one is soft spots on the tracks.

Um . . . are we off track a bit? Aren't English idioms terms or phrases fairly well-known among English-speaking people? As fun as army jargon is, lots of it is totally misunderstood in a civilian world.

For example: back in the days I had to wear OD, a "section 8" was a crazy soldier needing a psychiatric discharge.

Nowadays, old army attire is high fashion, and "section 8" is a housing authority rule granting rent subsistance.

Just wondering if Brother Trucker isn't right and this is getting too tricky?

Um . . . are we off track a bit? Aren't English idioms terms or phrases fairly well-known among English-speaking people? As fun as army jargon is, lots of it is totally misunderstood in a civilian world.

For example: back in the days I had to wear OD, a "section 8" was a crazy soldier needing a psychiatric discharge.

Nowadays, old army attire is high fashion, and "section 8" is a housing authority rule granting rent subsistance.

Just wondering if Brother Trucker isn't right and this is getting too tricky?

Yep you are right! Back to English idioms. I told you people spent most of my life keeping my on track! If I was a train it would be one of those little ones that runs on no track and switches direction with each new bump!:giggle:

Ok lets try an English idiom again.

Sign: Spirit (as in creature not of this world)
Sign: maybe

Meaning: have no hope whatsoever of succeeding.

oh come on! You can do the first one! Here I'll give you the first half, then you finish it. (No one else try this one please, Brother has tried and needs a booste)

OK here is the first part of number one... "Give them an inch and....." OK! Brother! Finish That Idiom! Go! Go! You can do it!

Oh and the answer to this one is: Give them an Inch and they'll take a Mile!

Glad you told that one, as I couldn't relate the signs to it.

Is the latest idiom, "The spirit's willing." It's the first half of the phrase ending ". . . but the flesh is weak." Hmmm. Probably not. How are you signing "maybe"?

Glad you told that one, as I couldn't relate the signs to it.

Is the latest idiom, "The spirit's willing." It's the first half of the phrase ending ". . . but the flesh is weak." Hmmm. Probably not. How are you signing "maybe"?

I am signing maybe, like weighing a scales. And spirit as in a being that is represented by a white sheet with two eye holes on halloween. Oh I know what I should add, place the sign for Not between Spirit and Maybe, (hint, translate maybe to chance) Is there a different sign for chance?

Well, I do sign "chance" a little differently: Both relaxed five hands facing the chest, then flipping them down and a little out, as in "breaking through."

But learning different sleights of hand is the reason I appreciate this game.

You kind of gave it to me. Is is "Ghost of a chance"? I'm an admirer of ghosts ever since Jennifer Love Hewitt started whispering to 'em.

Back