Sleight of Hand

New Game Rule

I'm sorry I was so long getting back to this, but I'm helping my girlfriend and her ex-husband finish the house in the country they own together and are selling. Ha ha ha, this is really strange, as we get along really well working together. In Montana, exes and boyfriends shoot at each other. Being civilized isn't much fun, but it's safer.

Correct, Reba. Your go.

OK new game rule is if the next players turn takes longer than 24 hours then the previous player must offer another idiom. That means it is your turn Chase! Reba is coming up with a really hard one to stump us so you go next. I can't wait to try Rebas!:giggle:

OK new game rule is if the next players turn takes longer than 24 hours then the previous player must offer another idiom. That means it is your turn Chase! Reba is coming up with a really hard one to stump us so you go next. I can't wait to try Rebas!:giggle:
I'm sorry, I just can't come up with one quick enough, or always check the threads quickly enough. Please feel free to continue without me. :)

I'm sorry, I just can't come up with one quick enough, or always check the threads quickly enough. Please feel free to continue without me. :)[/QUOTE

But Reba! You are so good at guessing them! Keep trying to come up with one!
Chase and Reba. Here is a new one.

Sign "wet, chicken, angry"

Meaning: A very mad person that is sooo mad, you keep a good
distance between yourself and them.

Ha ha ha, Reba is good at figuring the idioms. While she's thinking of one of her own, here's another to keep the game going. Hope this is okay with Cathe and other players.

This four-word idiom means a person or system of support during crisis. It is also the title of a song by Paul Simon:

1. The first sign is usually made with the left arm bent at the elbow, forearm straight across the torso. The right “V” fingers touch first the palm of the left hand, then the left elbow.

Instead, for this idiom, raise the left arm so the bend at the elbow is over your head. Now touch the right “V” fingers to the left palm, then the left elbow.

2. Rotate both “B” hands in front of your forehead for “bother.”

3. Touch the forefinger of letter “W” to your mouth.

Ha ha ha, Reba is good at figuring the idioms. While she's thinking of one of her own, here's another to keep the game going. Hope this is okay with Cathe and other players.

This four-word idiom means a person or system of support during crisis. It is also the title of a song by Paul Simon:

1. The first sign is usually made with the left arm bent at the elbow, forearm straight across the torso. The right “V” fingers touch first the palm of the left hand, then the left elbow.

Instead, for this idiom, raise the left arm so the bend at the elbow is over your head. Now touch the right “V” fingers to the left palm, then the left elbow.

2. Rotate both “B” hands in front of your forehead for “bother.”

3. Touch the forefinger of letter “W” to your mouth.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters?

You got it!

One of my favorite songs, though I was never sure what it was talking about.

Here is the next one.

Point to some one.
Sign dig,(as in the act of digging)
and then sign Gold

Meaning: One who seeks out a lucrative, (usually financial) situation, such as hanging around and befriending a wealthy person, only because they are wealthy and one hopes to benefit from that friendship.

Gold digger? if correct, somebody please make the next one up for me.

Okay, this one is made up for Tousi:

Five-word idiom meaning “unbelievable.”

1. Index fingers together in “also” sign.

2. Sign for “thanks” (but opposite of “bad”).

3. Preposition with tip of right index brought to tip of left index (ASL grammar will omit this sign from the phrase).

4. “B” hand.

5. “D” sign at beginning at the lips, then arcing up and away, as in “absolute,” “genuine,” “sure.”

Okay, this one is made up for Tousi:

Five-word idiom meaning “unbelievable.”

1. Index fingers together in “also” sign.

2. Sign for “thanks” (but opposite of “bad”).

3. Preposition with tip of right index brought to tip of left index (ASL grammar will omit this sign from the phrase).

4. “B” hand.

5. “D” sign at beginning at the lips, then arcing up and away, as in “absolute,” “genuine,” “sure.”
oooh! This is a good one! Can I have another hint?

Yep, "too good to be true" is correct.

I feel like I'm hogging this game. I hope I'm not making my friend Cathe or others upset.

This four-word idiom is usually a question asking why a person cannot speak up.

1. Thumbs and index fingers of both hands paint whiskers on both cheeks.

2. Fingers of both hands, thumbs up, come into the chest for “has” or “possess.”

3. Point to the person being asked.

4. Flexible fingers of the right hand brush up on the palm of the left hand held at the left corner of a the mouth for “lick.”

(I’m still learning more exact signs, so maybe someone can help with a better sign for #4.)

I feel like I'm hogging this game. I hope I'm not making my friend Cathe or others upset.

This four-word idiom is usually a question asking why a person cannot speak up.

1. Thumbs and index fingers of both hands paint whiskers on both cheeks.

2. Fingers of both hands, thumbs up, come into the chest for “has” or “possess.”

3. Point to the person being asked.

4. Flexible fingers of the right hand brush up on the palm of the left hand held at the left corner of a the mouth for “lick.”

(I’m still learning more exact signs, so maybe someone can help with a better sign for #4.)
Cats got your tongue!

Sign: act or perform, more, noise, have, words, less noise

Meaning: What a person does has more of an impact than what is said.

oops! Sorry Chase! I got sooo excited about getting it right that I for got to wait till you told me I got it right!:giggle:

No, that's fine. You're right.

"Actions speak louder than words."

Some of you guys may be having trouble thinking of English Idioms.
this web site will help.

English Idioms and Idiomatic Expressions - UsingEnglish.com

Here is the trick. Try to use different words in your sign than the ones that are in the idiom. Try to make it silly, like that old Deaf joke, where you walk your fingers over your head, meaning "over the week (spelled weak) end.

You may have trouble finding an English idiom, but I'm having to look up nearly every sign I use! However this is helping my memory retention of the signs tremendously! I've already noticed an improvement in my receptive skills!

I LIKE THIS GAME!

Back