Silly question.

Dark-Half

Reaction score
Let's say I want to get into an all-deaf or deaf-hearing college. Is there any way to bypass needing a HS diploma?

Some of the options I've came across were-

*GED (seems tedious with all the paperwork and sepereate dates whereas I sit in an isolated room given a set amount of time to answer questions on specific subjects.)
*Night school (6 month course, lots of driving back and forth. I live 10 miles out of town.)

I dropped out at 8th grade to take up home schooling, but became 18 and dropped the whole orderal before I got my diploma. Later on I went into becoming self-taught.

I want to see what sort of options I have. If there's none else I'll fall-back on taking GED and hopefully be in college next fall.

I dropped out at 8th grade to take up home schooling, but became 18 and dropped the whole orderal before I got my diploma. Later on I went into becoming self-taught.

I want to see what sort of options I have. If there's none else I'll fall-back on taking GED and hopefully be in college next fall.

I'd call/visit/e-mail the admissions office at the school you want to go to, but HS diploma or equivalent is usually a requirement. Also get started on financial aid paperwork. Good luck with it.

The longer you put off college, the tougher it gets to go back and finish a degree. Life may be rough now, but struggling to make a living without a degree is even rougher. I know this from personal experience. I waited until I was 35 to go to college.

I'm about to hit 24. I already have SSI, so life is kinda easy for me. I don't want to get in for a job, but to learn more and possibly put some of my theories to test where man-power and decent resources exist. What about Gallaudet? I hear theres alot of bad stuff going down, would it be a bad time to try to apply?

I could do a google search which I'm going to do now, but can ya name a few deaf-only colleges of a decent standard? Thanks.

edit; Gallaudet's out. None of the majors I want are listed.

Last edited:
RIT?

I dont think there are any other deaf only univerisities. Even Gallaudet is no longer a deaf only university due to the HUG (hearing undergrad) program and the grad schools having a large percentage of hearing students.

Maybe start out small at a community college and then u can have a better idea of where u want to go?

Be a model or an actor

Har Har Har....:run:

That can be an option but only if u are up to the fierce competition and cut-throat kind of business...need to have a tough heart for that kind of business.

You will have to have your diploma or your GED, and usually only schools with open enrollment will accept the GED.

Har Har Har....:run:

That can be an option but only if u are up to the fierce competition and cut-throat kind of business...need to have a tough heart for that kind of business.

Yeah that is why I am not really up for being a film director...
and facing scandal after scandal...

Michael Moore wasn't even a honest man, he sued somebody and
won a million and use those money to make his documentary...
And boomerang... people are suing him.... poor man.

But if Dark-Half is too bored with his life... he can go for it...
He is good looking... Go look for tv or film casting job....
Work hard and stuff.

Same thing with Tom Cruise, he is a working hard man, and many
filmmakers rely on him... because he act the way they wanted him
to act... he never say he can't... and he show up for work all the time.

Well, that's it. I'm gonna work for a GED then. Anyone got some study material to suggest? As for a model or actor -- no thanks. I already know what major I want. Eletrical engineering. Mostly science and technology related. I believe there are better ways to harness energy other than hydrogen, ethanol, wind and solar. I don't think we've fully exploitted what rare earth magnets are capable of. I believe they are the key to an energy efficent future. They are easy to make, no massive chemical waste, no air pollution and can last nearly a lifetime.

yeah get somebody to tutor you or help you with GED...

Like give you a little test or ask you question

And study study study.... read read read....

I worked as a secretary at a local community college for a long time, and would often filter in calls concerning GEDs so I got to learn a lot about it. There is actually rather minimal paper work necessary. If you contact your local community college they should be able to offer free services such as study materials, tutoring, and other information to you.

That is how it is in Arkansas, I most certainly would not use tedious as a word to describe it. Its rather straight forward and simple. The paperwork needed can be done in a matter of minutes.

GED's are usualy a 3 step program

1. you take a placement test, it usually just focuses on reading and math. Its sort of a benchmark so you can see what you need to study on, and where you can improve so you dont spend wasted time trying to go over things you already do well.

2. you participate in a series of classes, you can usually between a study lab, where each person works at their own pace, but you have a teacher available to help you if/when needed, or an actual class setting. During the study lab or class you will be given practice tests, if you score well enough on the practice tests, you will then be allowed to take your GED.

3. Take the actual GED test. The GED test has five parts, ( Social Studies, Science, Mathematics, Language Arts Reading and Language Arts Writing ) and from what I remember it costs under 10 dollars to take the test, and the final part of the test is a writing section, where you will be asked a question, such as "why did you chose to get your GED" or some sort of open ended, free writing sort of question, where it isnt your repsonse that matters but how you put your thoughts together in a complete and clear manner. You have to make at least a 410 on each seperate part of the test and have a combined score of 2250.

Im sure it varies from state to state but thats what I can provide you, it seems intimidating until you get there, and youre surrounded with people just like your self. Youll never know unless you try.

Well, that's it. I'm gonna work for a GED then. Anyone got some study material to suggest? As for a model or actor -- no thanks. I already know what major I want. Eletrical engineering. Mostly science and technology related. I believe there are better ways to harness energy other than hydrogen, ethanol, wind and solar. I don't think we've fully exploitted what rare earth magnets are capable of. I believe they are the key to an energy efficent future. They are easy to make, no massive chemical waste, no air pollution and can last nearly a lifetime.

Sounds like u are on the path to becoming a nobel peace prize winner! YOu already got some good ideas and know your stuff! We need to get rid of this pollution!!!!

Give me a day or so to check with the office of student support at the university where I work (and am a student) and I will give you the titles to the best study materials to use.

Give me a day or so to check with the office of student support at the university where I work (and am a student) and I will give you the titles to the best study materials to use.

You can get classes that are focused on your needs at the center where you want to take the test. Its always best to go and take your pretest first, to see what you need to study and improve on. So you don't go out and buy books and spend money that you dont need to. After you take that pretest, you will then be put into either a group study, or class that will be tailored to what you need to learn. All materials will be provided for you, including workbooks, practice tests, and all study materials. Once you have taken your practice test, and they see that you are at a passing level you will then be allowed to take your actual GED test.

The entire cost is less than 10 dollars, you only have to pay for the actual GED test which is usually between 5-7 dollars.

A lot of the time we would see people use 'studying' as another means to put off actually coming and getting started in the program. People would come in, interested in the test, ask what they should do, and when they were told to just fill out these papers and that there is no waiting period and they can get started immediatly they sort of freak out and just say "oh no no i want to study first."

Its often really scary when you hear that you dont have to wait and that you can get started right now, you just have to say go. So people use studying as an excuse to put it off longer.

I strongly suggest getting into the program, and allow the professionals to help you. Everything will be tailored to you. You do not need to study for the pretest, the pretest is only a bench mark to tell you where you need to focus on studying. You cant know what to study until you have taken some sot of practice or pre GED test.

But if you do feel like you really want to study before going into any of it, you can go into a testing center and they can provide you with free materials.

Sweet, thanks!

Your Mom- Alright. I suppose I'll get to it and take the pre-test. You are correct, it is kinda intimidating. Kinda like the big jump off a high-dive board.

Shel90- I don't know about nobel prize. There are people out there far more intelligent than I, but it would be nice to play a part in ridding the world of pollution.

Time to get busy...

Sweet, thanks!

Your Mom- Alright. I suppose I'll get to it and take the pre-test. You are correct, it is kinda intimidating. Kinda like the big jump off a high-dive board.

Shel90- I don't know about nobel prize. There are people out there far more intelligent than I, but it would be nice to play a part in ridding the world of pollution.

Time to get busy...

Never know what the future brings...sure there are always people more intelligent than everyone but you don't have to be extremely intelligent if you have a passion for something...:)

Sweet, thanks!

Time to get busy...

You will feel so much better about everything, and gain a great deal of self confidence when you get out there and take care of it. Its scary at first, of course but just have faith.

I believe how it goes is you fill out all your necessary paper work which should not take any lengthy period of time, they have scheduled days each week that they give the pre test, some days are for pre tests, some days are for tests, and some days are study days. So go in, get your paper work done, they will tell you what day you need to come in for your pre-test.

And since the pre test is only reading and math, its a lot shorter than the actual test. Its pretty short. And you also maybe thinking its just so boring and dull to have to sit for a certain period of time to get things finished. But you really need to look at that time, and use it. Take that extra time to go back through, read your questions over again. Take your time.

I believe, if you score well enough on the actual pre-test you are not even required to come to the study periods, and can go right to the actual test. The only reason they require the study periods is because you can only re-test 3 times in a 12 month period. So they want to make sure you are really ready before you get in there.

The biggest reason they have the study sessions and there are so many study books out there, is that there is a large group of people who have dropped out of school who have literacy/reading comprehension difficulty.

Also if you have any sort of a learning disability, emotional, physical, ADD/ADHD, any sort of disability you can request testing accomodations for that specific ordeal.

As well I remember the full test being about 7 1/2 hours long, but think about it like this, youre trying to fit a test thats going to test everything you should know from all 12 years of schooling, into one big test, 7 1/2 hours really isnt that much. And I remember they can/are willing to split up the test into two days for people who just get too overwhelemed with that long of a test. And you also get breaks in between each section.

just go take the damn test! fuck studying! just take it ..if you pass you have saved yourself a bunch of time ..if you fail..you will know what you need to study.

just go take the damn test! fuck studying! just take it ..if you pass you have saved yourself a bunch of time ..if you fail..you will know what you need to study.

not nice thing to say

he need encouragement and positive support

make him feel bad by saying maybe he will fail. Can cause anxiety?

not a nice thing?
have you read the guys posts?
he writers better than most people on all deaf...has a good science vocab..
a GED should be a snap.

dont trash your time needlessly.

Back