Sign Language Website

s_t_harvey

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm working on a Sign Language project. The main part of it is a CD-ROM but I have included some free online resouces that can be found here:

Free Sign Language Resources

It is mainly British Sign Language, but I have included an ASL fingerspelling section and will be expanding on this soon.

Thanks

Simon
Waterfall Rainbows - Sign Language Resources

Wow, that is very interesting. Did you really make this project? If so, you did a great job.

I could not believe how difficult for me to learn British Sign Language. I wish that they would have learned in one hand instead of two hands. I am just wondering if someone who lost their arm, and how they sign in BSL?

Asl & Bsl

Now This is an interesting concept,

this question I have might be wrong for this thread, but,....

thought I would ask any way. ...

Can a person be bilingual, in their sign language? or who can do ASL & BSL?

And also be interpreter for the deaf?

Now I wonder....

(I hope I am not being offensive here in any way, shape or form)

If there is someone who is fluent in both ASL & BSL, can they also interpret from one to another, even if it is in a sign language form?(or ASL to: JSL, CSL, VSL, or vice versa, etc...)

I have never seen that happen before, so I thought I would ask.

I was told that all sign language in the world are all very different, that is why I am asking that question.

Anyone, please reply when you can.

Thank you. :ty:

God Bless. :)

Most of us deafies nowdays are "bi lingual". Years ago, hearing people stepped in and tried to "help" us with our ASL and they succeeded only in butchering it. And of course there are different dialects around the country and when people marry out of state, they mix their "accents".

ASL, PSE, whatever. True ASL is rapidly disappearing. Do the best with what you have.

True ASLers used ASL as a first language and they are fluent and smoothe. I know ASL, have even taught it at community college level, but it does not come to me as smoothely as it would have if I'd of been born deaf into a deaf family. I have to think before I speak, still.

Lantana...

Thanks soooo much for replying back. :)

Whe you said something about "accents"....

With the sign languages....

how can one tell & recognize the "accent" of another, in just the sign language in itself?.

I am a hearing a person, & I myself can tell the difference by hearing, but with the sign language, that part, I would have a hard time recognizing.

If you would be so kind as to help me to understand the subject at hand with the "accents" in the sign language world.

Thank you & God Bless.

P.S. I await for your reply when you can.

BTW- I really like your avatar!. It's like looking out into the window & seeing those seaguls fly above the ocean. ;) Awsome avatar!. :thumb:

Sign Language

Hi,

Yes, I did create the project (and still working on it!!), it has taken over a year and has acutally become a bit of an obsession!

I have heard of an interpreter between ASL & BSL, I don't think it is a very common though. I was also reading about an Australian university lecturer in Sydney who is Sign bi-lingual with Auslan and BSL (i beleive the 2 languages share a lot of similarities).

I grew up using SEE...then ASL...picked up AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language) for the duration of living in Australia (6.5 years). I find BSL/AUSLAN fascinating -- have seen some signs borrowed from ASL in BSL/AUSLAN.

S T Havey
one of pet peeve is someone fingerspelling to me, Tell me they know ASL. When fact they only know American manual alphabet! Alphbet is used same for SEE PSE...
I do take time understand ppl fingerspell. I have try tell someone they don't true ASL just by fingerspell, Some ppl get attudites! Theose are one I sign back what I think of them. Only they have no clue what I sign. LOL
even have ask them by fingerspell, Do they write everthing they say to hearing peers? then why you think o.k to fingerspell everything to me?
hmm maybe ppl need change how they put on web site ASL fingerspell .
How many word do I fingerspell? I fingerspell word I want stand out in my
conversion! Part true ASL !
SEE { Signing Exact English} total differnet sign's then ASL ! pet peeve again,
Someone sign SEE. leave out words claim they know ASL. cuz they have heard ASL you leave out words or sign backwards! Nope wrong again! ASL has own santax grammer etc...
I did have few out of 500 VPO tell me slow down... when I hurt or exite I sign faster, What I like about VP, you can see the person! Not same TTD. when I call VPO for dr. they see how hurt or bad cut I is... dr get better undstand what go on w/ me. Boy Thk God VPO do not finger spell every word, Or I would bleed to death! LOL

Accent's, we tell by way person moves hands... LOL Same when U sing ASL, Our hands move more open, Sign Big...

have gd now,
LMM

I know a missionary to the Deaf in Mexico. He is hearing, and grew up in the U.S., so he speaks English. Then, he learned ASL. Then, he went to Mexico and learned how to read, write and speak Mexican Spanish. Then, he learned Mexican sign language. So he can interpret between ASL and Mexican sign language.

I know another hearing missionary who works with the Deaf in Peru. He is fluent in English, ASL, Peruvian Spanish, and Peruvian sign language.

Looks neat but doesnt seem to work well in Linux platforms.

Richard

Eeeeek! No thanks to BSL....

Big thanks to Abbé Charles Michel de l'Epée. Let's have some French wine...

Back