Sign Language in Computer and Technical Terms, Anyone?

jomanila

Reaction score
This is my first time to post a message here. I'm a Sign language interpreter here in the Philippines. We are currently promoting the use of our very own Filipino Sign Language. I'm also the training director of the only technical vocational institute in the Philippines, Manila Christian Computer Institute for the Deaf Foundation, Inc.

This is our website, http://www.mccidonline.net

I'm doing a research on sign language in computer and technical terms. We already have the signs that we currently use. But I need some ideas on how to prepare a study about it.

Anyone can help me find books and resources about it? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

To jomanila....

Just FYI-

I am swiss,Filipino, spanish,(hearing person,also) & born in the philippines,
now living in Honolulu Hawaii USA.

That is the first in my life I have heard of, & I am very glad to know that they now have something like that there(filipino Interpreters).

My question is, How is it different? or is it (alot)similar to ASL or SEE??

Do they & you sign in filipino (tagalog) or in ASL or SEE as well??

I have never met a filipino deaf person at all, & I am unfamiliar with how they sign, So I would like to know.

I am sorry that I too have quesions of my own than an answer to give you.

So, I do hope to hear from you soon.

P.S. I am also glad that they have finally come around into the computer world. When I left as a young child, computer there did not exist at all, nor any cell phone what so ever.

I wait for your reply.

Take care & have good week.

Anne. :)

Anne. said:
Just FYI-

I am swiss,Filipino, spanish,(hearing person,also) & born in the philippines,
now living in Honolulu Hawaii USA.

That is the first in my life I have heard of, & I am very glad to know that they now have something like that there(filipino Interpreters).

My question is, How is it different? or is it (alot)similar to ASL or SEE??

Do they & you sign in filipino (tagalog) or in ASL or SEE as well??

I have never met a filipino deaf person at all, & I am unfamiliar with how they sign, So I would like to know.

I am sorry that I too have quesions of my own than an answer to give you.

So, I do hope to hear from you soon.

P.S. I am also glad that they have finally come around into the computer world. When I left as a young child, computer there did not exist at all, nor any cell phone what so ever.

I wait for your reply.

Take care & have good week.

Anne. :)

Hello there Anne!!!

It's very nice to hear from you!!! I'm so glad that someone responded to my thread, even better because a lady replied. Are you a sign language interpreter too? How long have you been living in Hawaii?

Interpreters in the Philippines are a very very rare breed. Those that stay here are the ones having a great big heart for our Filipino deaf brothers and sisters. A great many of them are enticed by the green buck and most of them are living in other countries like the US. Did you know that some used deaf people just to go there? It's very depressing to find out that they just take some units of special education here and that's the only requirement in order to go there. It's a surefire ticket in going to the US. Those of us who opted to stay here are doing multi-tasking jobs. We interpret in courts, seminars, churches, wherever there is a need, and most of them are pro bono.

In spite of that, deaf education, interpreting, deaf awareness, culture and rights are developing at a rapid stage. Even then, we are still facing an uphill battle. Acknowledgment of a unique Filipino Sign Language is not being encouraged by the Department of Education and the principal of the biggest school for the deaf in the country don't even know how to communicate well with the deaf.

FSL is a distinct indigenous language. ASL has a great influence due to American teachers for the deaf. But researches in FSL are making headway through the grant from the Japanese foundation.

Visit the sites:
http://www.phildeafres.org
- they are the ones doing the researches

http://b.1asphost.com/philfeddeaf
- this is the Philippine Federation of the Deaf official website (made by our deaf students for free); they are the ones advocating FSL usage

What we believe that since a deaf child only learned a language when he entered the school, there is a need to develop his inherent language first before feeding the English or even Filipino language to them. Our educational system is patterned after a hearing perspective. I can feel the child's big task ahead of them, learning three languages at the same time when they entered Grade 1. So it's either one suffers or everything.

What we are doing now are just remedial measures. I am a training director of a post-secondary school for the deaf. It's too difficult for us. Instead of concentrating on the skills to be developed, we need to go back to language acquisition and writing system.

I think Gallaudet university or any schools for the deaf there in the US already have a book or writings about ASL in computer terms. May seek your assistance in that? I hope you may be able to help us. Thank you in advance.

Jojo :)

To: jomanila...

Hi Jo, just replying back here.

Yes, some what. I'm at the present time, just learning ASL to further my studies/education in ASL towards being an interpreter for the deaf, &/or to be a teacher in ASL.

How long have I lived in Hawaii?? Hmm... good question...

To be technicall about it, I have been here off & on in Hawaii, but mostly on than off, now a days. But I would say, about ohhh...longer than 10 years. Perhaps between 10 to 20 years give or take a few :)confused: :dunno:) .

I'm so glad that those who opted to stay are doing multi-tasking. I think that shows great character(s) in them.

I think Deaf Filipinos shouldn't let themselves be influenced,used, or forced to be with someone just for other purposes, that is quite beyond the silliness(since I am quite upset about that, that I would use a different discriptive words than that, but I wont.)
WOW!. That must show great heart in being Pro bono :) .

I think we here in Honolulu Hawaii also faces great battles in sign language that it is not mandatory for everyone but only an optional or enjoyment to learn sign language here. I would suppose that, it probably would be the same in all the world one way or another. :eek:

I am very sorry for you there that you are having great difficulty & it is not encouraged to learn there, & that it's not encouraged by the DOE & that they don't know how to communicate well with the deaf. :(

I am so glad to know that you have found grant to educate FSL to others. :)
Thank you so much for that informative link.

I wish you the best of luck & that you are in my prayes that you find other means of financial assistance to your great cause. I myself with my hubby, & I am sure among others here in Honolulu Hawaii are also financially strugling here our selves as the prices here just continues to increase without any point in time of de creasing in prices at all. :(

So I do have to trully apologize to you that we ourselves are un able to assist you in any way. If I sincerely could, I would, but I can't.

Good luck to you, & you are in my prayers that you find others to assist you.

Aloha & God Bless you always.

Mabuhay!. :cool:

jomanila said:
I'm doing a research on sign language in computer and technical terms. We already have the signs that we currently use. But I need some ideas on how to prepare a study about it.

Hi there,

I took a short class taught by a native ASL user in which we learned many signs used by Deaf computer professionals. If I can manage to find it, I will give you the contact information for the teacher.

Thank you for the help. I hope I may be able to get that contact information.
:)

Interpretrator said:
Hi there,

I took a short class taught by a native ASL user in which we learned many signs used by Deaf computer professionals. If I can manage to find it, I will give you the contact information for the teacher.

Jomanila, I sent you a private message with all the information I have. Hope it helps.

Does anyone know of a dictionary (online or hard copy) that may have these signs? I'm a computer and network technician and I work at a school that mainstreams nearly all of the Deaf kids in our area. It'd be great to add these signs to my vocabulary.

EECS stands for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.

just want to up this thread. anyone want to share their sign language of computer terms? :)

Back