Sign Language for deaf and hearing children

Bebonang

Reaction score
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV69iJuXwP4&h=14402

Edit: I want to let you know how important that we need ASL in our lives as Deaf or Hard of Hearing. When I was growing up, I never had a relationship with my parents and my sister to sign and understand each other better. It was a struggle for me not having any sign language in my life. I am glad that when I was graduated from mainstream high school, I learned how to sign from a Lutheran pastor and I thanked him very much. It opened the door for me like the key that make us feel very comfortable not have to struggle trying to lipread or have perfect speech. That is why I got a YouTube from my deaf native friend which I think the film is great. I hope you enjoy it. :wave:

I wish more hearies understood that ASL is language...and that ALL children, hearing AND Deaf, need language to grow and develop.

I did enjoy the film. I wish also I could have had that easy relationship to my parents.

This has been really popular lately on FB and the vlogs. There's a really wonderful quote in it:

"You might not be ready, but your child is."

Thank you so much for sharing that Bebonang. I really enjoyed the video. I love the quote, "You may not be ready, but your child is." All the time I say, this isn't supposed to be about what the parents want...it is about what the children need.

Last edited:
That is beautiful video. I just wished my parents did the same thing. They never did. Loved the quote "You may not be ready, but your child is".

Loved that quote too. The parents need to stop making it about them but make it about the children.

Thank you, everyone. I am glad you like the video.

I agree with you that it is not about parents, but parents need to use visual to see what the deaf or hoh children's needs. Hearing parents should not close their eyes and be stubborn that their deaf or hoh children must learn to speak perfectly or listen or lipread and have no accommodations to help them cope in mainstream school. That is what I had to go through like that and it does make me sad that we are still having the same problem with CI making for a miracle. :(

Back