*sighs* Spike makes me worry...

catlover_Amy81

Reaction score
I think Spike has food aggressive. When he wants a doggie biscuist, he won't eat already but he starts to protect his doggie biscuist! I thought he doesn't want it then I will gonna grab it and gives to Candy but suddenly he started to growl at me! I remember Candy tried to take his cookie then he went absolutely crazy... I have no idea why did he does that. Candy has no problem with her food, she's doing good. Well, I'm getting worry if I will gonna have a child, do I have to give Spike away? Will able to train him for stop being food aggressive? Please let me know! :(

catlover_Amy81 said:
I think Spike has food aggressive. When he wants a doggie biscuist, he won't eat already but he starts to protect his doggie biscuist! I thought he doesn't want it then I will gonna grab it and gives to Candy but suddenly he started to growl at me! I remember Candy tried to take his cookie then he went absolutely crazy... I have no idea why did he does that. Candy has no problem with her food, she's doing good. Well, I'm getting worry if I will gonna have a child, do I have to give Spike away? Will able to train him for stop being food aggressive? Please let me know! :(

It sounds like your dog, Spike, has a food aggression and you need to get him start on NILF (Nothing life is free) NOW! Do follow what it says, don't ignore and the problem will not be reformed. You need to do some obidence classes with him to prove that you are the alpha not him. Do not let him get on the couch, bed, etc.You shouldn't give him away just because he has a food aggression. You need to take this serious and work this problem out before you decide to toss him out of your house.

http://www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Wait! I didn't figure it out why did he acted... I told my father about what happened and he knows what's the problem. Spike probably doesn't want hard cookie but he wants the soft treat, not doggie biscuist. When I or my father gives him a doggie biscuist, he's probably upset because we don't have soft treats for dogs. *sighs* I guess we spoiled him pretty much... We will gonna get soft treats, anyway. Spike is 6 years old.

But if he still aggressive then you may need to go see dog behavorist. They may help you out. Talk to your vet or nearby shelter. They have the information to help your dog. If the dog continue aggressive after the help then suggest you give it away for the sake of the kids. I am sorry to hear that.

Oh thank you, pomeranian. We took Spike to the training class since he was a puppy but he's still so hyper, you know? When we have soft treats, we didn't know how to make him calm down but we gave him a lot. Yeah, I know I did wrong thing... :cold:

Well that is kinda normal for dogs to be protective of their treats, once they get something they beleive its their's and will get aggressive if another dog trys to take it away. maybe he knew u were going to give it to another dog which makes him a bit upset.. It just my opinion lol.. Elsa used to do the same thing, we would give her crust from toasts which she doesn't even like, but force herself to eat it cuz Kiki likes it and was getting the treat as well.. but now i think Elsa just gotten really sick of bread so she just spits them out and let Kiki have them. lol

Hmm... Yea, but I thought Candy will gonna to take it but I don't want them start to fight. Yeah, I know I made him upset when I'm trying to grab his treat then give it to Candy. Next time, I should leave him alone and keep eye on Candy to make sure not getting into a fight.

catlover_Amy81 said:
Wait! I didn't figure it out why did he acted... I told my father about what happened and he knows what's the problem. Spike probably doesn't want hard cookie but he wants the soft treat, not doggie biscuist. When I or my father gives him a doggie biscuist, he's probably upset because we don't have soft treats for dogs. *sighs* I guess we spoiled him pretty much... We will gonna get soft treats, anyway. Spike is 6 years old.

It has nothing anything to do with "soft food" or worry about giving his bone to another dog. This dog is behaving like an alpha and this dog is going to get away with whatever it wants. Like I explained in another post about Alpha. Alpha is the ONE who decides and is the one who gets away. Alpha dogs will test their authority on those who tried to challenage them. This is a good example what Spike is doing to you. When I said an Alpha, what does that mean to you? Do you understand the term "ALPHA"?

My opinion, whatever you are doing to Spike like letting him on the couch, get things away, etc. You need to stop this habit now because this is a dangerous habit. This kind of dog will have a good chance of biting you and other people. You need to control Spike's food habit and start with hand feeding first until he gets full. You control how much attention you give to him and when you want to give.. Not Him.... When he wants an attention, he will go up to you and pest you til he gets what he wants.

Understanding subtle dominant behavior in a dog help people learn how to establish themselves as the pack leader in the home. Here are just a few behaviors many dogs will display that represent a dominant behavior:

Sleeping in bed with the owner
Pushing you to pet him
Not allowing the husband into the bedroom after being gone on a trip
Growling near food or toys
Not allowing you to take toys away by showing aggression (not just playing keep away)
Always going through doors first
Always going down stairs first
Being extremely dog aggressive
Resisting laying down when told to DOWN
Showing aggression to certain family friends and not others

Does he do any of those above here? Yes or No?

I will try my best to check this post often as I can. I have been busy and travel to California and New Mexico for schutzund seminars.

My advice.... You can not let him on the couch and you can't give him the attention everytime he puts his paw on your leg. You are the boss not him and when he does this ignore him.I promise you, if you have followed my advice for 1 to 2 months, you will see a big reforme in Spike's behavior. It doesn't take overnight so it takes sometime. You are the one who decide when to feed and when not to feed. You need to fix the pack in your household.

Im going to post this link, I hope you follow exactly what it says NLIF.
I promise this will help you... Please follow it..

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/nilif.htm

It't not really an advice is suggestion :)

Do buy Stanley Coren's book "How To Speak Dog".
It's the best book on the market now that explain why dogs do what they do and how to communicate with them.
You'll like it, and it will help you to understand your dog better.

http://www.campusi.com/isbn_074320297X.htm

Fuzzy

OK, thank you, fuzzy. I didn't realized about the dogs' personalites before I posted this. It's nobody's fault, that's how they are. My mother and I used to take Spike to the training class a few years ago when he was a puppy. Well, we never take Candy to the training class because my mother got very sick and she won't go without Spike, blah, blah, blah. Here's for example: Candy doesn't like to be touched or petted when she was sleeping but Spike doesn't care about touching or petting while he's sleeping. When I take them to the vet., Candy hates other dogs and Spike loves other dogs. See how's the difference? Ugh, I should not post this, I feel so stupid. Sorry about getting on your nerves! :cold:

Amy you are NOT getting on anybody nerves. In fact, sharing your story with us you help others who might have the same problem :)

You are right, dogs have personalities and they can be trained to a point.

Still, may I encourage you to read the book. It's not only helpful but a good read per se.

Fuzzy

yea i agree if hes still agressive towards his food go see a dog trainer. not to scare you cause you have a kid on the way. In waterford Mi two huskys mauled their owners two yr old daughter. I'm sure why probably because she got in their teritory. But the police found her at 9:30 am and she was pronouced dead. If your dog is still agressive towards his soft treats then i'd get spike help because you never know spike might get worse about this food agression.. and one day the baby might get between spike and his food.

Back