Sighs! Read this !

vrsterp said:
Did you miss the entire point? My point is how people are complaining about how greedy the gov't is. I simply said this is the same gov't who is giving FULLY-ABLE TO WORK people checks every month.

If you are not fully able to work, then this is not about you.

There are people who need help. I am all for helping them. Then there are people who get it for NO OTHER REASON than being deaf, all while saying "Nobody helps deaf people" "Deaf can do anything." Do you not see a problem there?

Again, I am ALL for helping people who need help, or people who really can't work. I'm not talking about them. And this is not about just deaf people who choose not to work. I disagree with giving anyone who is able to work a free ride. I digress. That is not the point here.

By the way, when a hearing person's mother is ill or dying, the hearing person has to still work through it or else be broke. They don't get to fall back on SSI. Just a note. and I'm sorry for your loss.

And another By the way..my ENTIRE family is deaf or codas. My opinions are my own. And most of my family has worked to get where they are today. And it pisses me off to hear someone talk about how they're held down because they're deaf. Its insulting to the deaf people who have busted their asses to get where they are. And it's an insult to my family.

ETA: EVERYONE starts out at crappy, low-wage jobs. You can't expect to go into the work force at $30 an hour. EVERYONE (hearing, deaf, blind, in a wheelchair, walking, whatever) starts out at the $5-whatever an hour. If you start out at more than that, you're lucky. You do what you can and keep trying to move up.

VRSTERP ..... clearly you do not know SSDI s policy... to be on SSDI one must work for more than 10 yrs.. one cannot use "deaf" as disability.... it must be a proof from one s family doctor and SSA send three doctors on its choice.. must see patients who applies for SSDI then they will be eligible for it or not...

YOU label us on SSDI for wrong reasons... YOU judge us all wrong.. that pisses me off...

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie
P.S. I already reported to VRS they will find you...

Look our oral clients find work less than a week after looking for it whilst the ASL deafs clients takes a lot longer. So where's the 'failure' in oralism?

Why is so many deaf oralists not having a job? It s nothing to do with ASLers if you mind?

Theyre in the wrong places then. Send them to OC and they'll find work easy.

Richard

loml
why is it that you wish future generations of deaf/hoh continue to be dependant on other people to communicate effective with non-ASLers?

SM..... are you going to answer my question?

Nesmuth
Look our oral clients find work less than a week after looking for it whilst the ASL deafs clients takes a lot longer

Nesmuth,

From you perspective, is literacy having an impact here?

I dont wish to brag about our Reading Is Power literacy program but I believe its playing a decent role in helping people fill out job applications and making their own resume's.

loml said:
loml

SM..... are you going to answer my question?

I can answer that for her.

It's the so called 'Big Deaf Industry Complex' (Big Deaf), a haphazard network of non and for-profit organizations, simply cashing in on the special needs of deaf people. Their existance relies heavily on deaf people depending on other people for many things including communication access services. Deaf independence hurts them and, therefore, it's in the Big Deaf interests that deaf people continue to depend on others.

Richard

Nesmuth said:

It's the so called 'Big Deaf Industry Complex' (Big Deaf), a haphazard network of non and for-profit organizations, simply cashing in on the special needs of deaf people. Their existance relies heavily on deaf people depending on other people for many things including communication access services. Deaf independence hurts them and, therefore, it's in the Big Deaf interests that deaf people continue to depend on others.

Richard

Thankyou!

Nesmuth said:
If the interpreter shortages go on the best solution is to teach the deaf lipreading and speaking so they wont have to depend on the services and politics of the so-called "Big Deaf Industry".

Our Oc-Fair booth will have a strong empahsis on oralism this year.

Richard
What about WRITING? And TYPING?

And don't give me any of that "hearing people won't want to" BS that people have been giving me in other threads.

loml said:
What does writing and typing have to do with interpreters?
You don't need interpreters when doing it, so you're not depending on them.

And when I say "typing" I am referring to typing directly to the person, not through some sort of relay operator.

Nesmuth said:

Richard
^ Clueless.... :laugh2:

gnulinuxman said:
You don't need interpreters when doing it, so you're not depending on them.

And when I say "typing" I am referring to typing directly to the person, not through some sort of relay operator.

Oral, written or typed......the point being independance.

Nesmuth said:

Richard

I believe that you have hit the nail on the head. TY!

Nesmuth said:
Failure?

Look our oral clients find work less than a week after looking for it whilst the ASL deafs clients takes a lot longer. So where's the 'failure' in oralism?

Richard

Oralism failed me so do not expect all deaf can learn how to read lips 100 percent. I deal with customers all the time, sometime I unds them and sometime I don't. I met this deaf lady once who was an oralist, my husband does not even understand her at all. He understand me more than her when I speak.

Stop bs to us about them being independence. Deaf oralists still need interpter.

jazzy said:
Oralism failed me so do not expect all deaf can learn how to read lips 100 percent. I deal with customers all the time, sometime I unds them and sometime I don't. I met this deaf lady once who was an oralist, my husband does not even understand her at all. He understand me more than her when I speak.

Stop bs to us about them being independence. Deaf oralists still need interpter.
YES. Not all deaf people can learn to read lips perfectly. It depends on the person and the speaker. That is why I get so mad when people keep going on and on and on about how oralism is the "perfect solution". :pissed:

What's wrong with signing and writing? :dunno:

gnulinuxman said:
YES. Not all deaf people can learn to read lips perfectly. It depends on the person and the speaker. That is why I get so mad when people keep going on and on and on about how oralism is the "perfect solution". :pissed:

What's wrong with signing and writing? :dunno:

Too many teachers and principals at the oralism schools told their students at the end of their final school year.

"Your speeches are so marvelously. Do not stop your speech until they understand you.”

Yeah right :roll: …

Back