Sighs! Read this !

VamPyroX said:
Where did you see this?

This is probably another one of those hoaxes like years ago when they said they were gonna shut down closed captioning on television.
This is no hoax.

rockdrummer said:
This is no hoax.

Probably another hoax... I went through lots of things .. I even walked around in front of NBC about closed captioned long time ago... There are always lots of scares,, just another HOAX!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

SxyPorkie

Sweetmind said:
Sweetmind 's

Now, I think FCC is violated our Ada laws that is our Deaf rights.

So do you ever think that is actually that we have the right to have a real independent that Deaf people can do anything except hear?

How come didnt Government says they want Deaf people to be independent??

How can you be independent if they are taking away the access away from you to allow that freedom to be independent without their support?

That would turn out a very positive outlook for Deaf children 's future. They have violated our rights and is taking what is rightful yours to live in this world independence citizens.

Think twice before turn out into a nasty ugly comments toward Deaf community or Deaf people 's abilities that they asked for more conflict interest between audism people and Deaf people 's rights.

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

YES they are violating ADA laws.... i had problems with doctors and hospitals ,,, ALL I DO is to mention the violations of ADA laws.. they would be scared and work with me... EVERYONE should mention to FCC about it,,,

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

vrsterp said:
Once again...ignored the entire point.

Um and no it's not the "lazy deaf people" who are helping me keep my job (mind you, i never said lazy)

I know why I'm not a doctor. I know why I dropped out of college. Because *I* wasn't motivated enough to become a doctor. Because *I* wasn't motivated enough to stay in college. I take responsibility for my own actions.

I will AGAIN say THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO NEED HELP. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THEM. I AM TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO CAN but WON'T WORK. If that's not you, then quit getting so defensive. If you actually KNOW you need help, you wouldn't be getting defensive.

I'm simply saying (since someone ELSE took the thread offtopic) that when you say "i'm deaf...i can't..." You are insulting my father who has almost 30 years in with the city, my grandma who is retired from the post office, my aunt who still works at the post office, my grandfather who worked at and retired from Chrysler, my aunt who is a teacher, my uncle who is a social worker, my stepmom who is a librarian at a hearing school, a friend who has her pilot's license...among many others..who are ALL DEAF. By the way, we have never been a rich family, so don't play the money card. If you are deaf, and ONLY deaf (no other disability) then it's not "i can't." it's "I won't." Being successful takes work. I don't care if you're hearing/deaf/blind/black/white. I don't know where you got this theory that it comes easily to hearing people.

To whoever it was that said they won't support Sorenson anymore..that's fine. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with me or this thread. This thread is to stop the funding cuts for ALL vrs.

There are two sides to each coin. There were complaints about the government and how it won't help deaf people. I simply said this is the same government that is cutting checks for people who are able to work but refuse to. If that applies to you, then so be it. If it doesn't, then chill out.

Again, SORENSON is not the one who needs your help. VRS needs your help. That includes ALL vrs companies.

I wonder if you are CODA??? Obviously you do not know the background of all deafies on SSI and SSDI.... you are discriminating us all!!!!

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

vrsterp said:
Um..I'm not the one who needs your support. As long as you like VRS, YOU need the support.

VRSterp, do you service to deaf customers? Then why do you need a full support from the deaf customers in order to earn the wages from the VRS company...

Do not blame to deafies for being on SSI. Not many of them can easily get a perfect job with great benefits. There are too many competitors for each position.

Why don't you apply VRS executive position? Oh, you are not enough qualified for that...

It would be better if you quit your VRS position and join the CI world....

SxyPorkie said:
Probably another hoax... I went through lots of things .. I even walked around in front of NBC about closed captioned long time ago... There are always lots of scares,, just another HOAX!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

SxyPorkie
Trust me. This is not a hoax. The government is trying to cut funding for the program. Do some research and you will see.

rockdrummer said:
Trust me. This is not a hoax. The government is trying to cut funding for the program. Do some research and you will see.

Trust me! If it is not a hoax therefore FCC is violating the ADA laws and they would be in big trouble!!!

I think I know you.. I am not sure... It is your grammar is familiar to me... I think you also know me.. Anyway it is good to see you here...

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

Show me in the ADA where it states that the FCC has to reimburse VRS companies a certain amount. It doesn't. Therefore your ADA rights are not being violated.

This is for you VRSterp and audist people, Believe it or not! Deaf people is NOT the whole 50 million American people only. So there!

http://www.jfanow.org/jfanow/index.php?mode=A&id=2784;&sort=D

More Than 50 Million Americans Report Some Level of Disability
Date Mailed: Saturday, May 13th 2006 11:28 PM
U.S. Census Bureau News
U.S. Department of Commerce * Washington, D.C. 20233

RELEASED May 12, 2006 (Friday)

Robert Bernstein CB06-71
Public Information Office
fax: (301) 763-3030/457-3670
voice: (301) 457-1037 (TDD)
e-mail: pio@census.gov

More Than 50 Million Americans Report Some Level of Disability

About 18 percent of Americans in 2002 said they had a
disability, and 12 percent had a severe disability, according
to a report released today by the U.S. Census Bureau. Among
people with disabilities, more than half of those 21 to 64
years old had a job, more than 4-in-10 of those ages 15 to 64
used a computer at home and a quarter of those age 25 to 64 had
a college degree.

"The demographic snapshots contained in this report help
planners and decision-makers assess the needs of this important
segment of our population," said Census Bureau Director Louis
Kincannon. Americans with Disabilities: 2002 [PDF] was compiled
from the Survey of Income and Program Participation.

Approximately 51.2 million people said they had a disability;
for 32.5 million of them, the disability was severe.

About 56 percent of people ages 21 to 64 who had a disability
were employed at some point in the one-year period prior to the
interview. People with a severe disability status reported the
lowest employment rate (42 percent). This compared with the
employment rates of people with a nonsevere disability (82
percent) and those with no reported disability (88 percent).

Similarly, 32 percent of people ages 25 to 64 with a nonsevere
disability and 22 percent with a severe disability were college
graduates. The corresponding rate for those without a
disability was 43 percent.

Among other findings, people with a severe disability had an
increased likelihood of having Medicare or Medicaid coverage,
living below the poverty level, reporting their health status
to be "fair or poor," receiving public assistance and having a
household income below $20,000. For instance, the poverty rate
for people 25 to 64 with no disability was 8 percent, compared
with 11 percent for those with a nonsevere disability and 26
percent for people with a severe disability.

The report defines a person as having a disability if they have
difficulty performing a specific activity such as seeing,
hearing, bathing or doing light housework, or had a specified
condition, such as Alzheimer's disease or autism. (See
attachment. [PDF]) People are considered to have a severe
disability if they are completely unable to perform one or more
of these tasks or activities, need personal assistance or have
one of the severe conditions described in the report.

Other highlights:

* Four million children ages 6 to 14, or 11 percent, had a
disability. The chances of having a disability rise with age:
72 percent of people age 80 and older had disabilities.

* Approximately 11 million people ages 6 and older, or 4
percent, needed personal assistance with an everyday
activity.

* Among the population age 15 and older, 2.7 million used a
wheelchair and 9.1 million an ambulatory aid such as a cane,
crutches or a walker.

* About 7.9 million people age 15 and older had difficulty
seeing the words and letters in ordinary newspaper print,
including 1.8 million who were unable to see.

* There were 7.8 million people age 15 and older who had
difficulty hearing a normal conversation, including 1 million
unable to hear.

* About 14.3 million people age 15 and older had limitations in
cognitive functioning or a mental or emotional illness that
interfered with their daily activities, such as Alzheimer's
disease, depression or mental retardation. This group
comprised 6 percent of the population.

* Among adults ages 16 to 64, 11.8 million or 6 percent
reported the presence of a condition that makes it difficult
to remain employed or find a job.

* Median earnings for people with no disability were $25,000,
compared with $22,000 for people with a nonsevere disability
and $12,800 for those with a severe disability.

* Of those ages 15 to 64, 36 percent with a severe disability
used a computer and 29 percent used the Internet at home.

These data were collected from June through September 2002 in
the Survey of Income and Program Participation. As in all
surveys, these data are subject to sampling variability and
other sources of error.

Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Public Information Office
(301) 763-3030

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

SxyPorkie said:
Trust me! If it is not a hoax therefore FCC is violating the ADA laws and they would be in big trouble!!!

I think I know you.. I am not sure... It is your grammar is familiar to me... I think you also know me.. Anyway it is good to see you here...

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

A law and its funding are two different things. Any gov't body can pass a law stating certain provisions must be adhered to or there are conseqences for violations. Funding is a whole different matter. The federal gov't is famous for passing unfunded mandates (where the federal gov't decides it won't fund the law they are passing) in which the states have to figure how to implement on their dime. This causes lots of friction between the states and the federal gov't. The fact that the federal gov't wants to reduce its funding commitment that has impact on a law is irrelevant. The law is still on the books and that is not going away. But what this does, is put the onus on other funding sources (read states, local gov'ts and even private sector) to somehow, someway to meet the requirements of the law. In other words, everybody's life becomes much more complicated.

No fun but not illegal. It happens all the time...nothing new under the sun. A lawsuit is always problematical...as there are no guarantees in life.

Gemtun said:
Huh? I have never said Deaf is bad. We all never said that - we only want every deaf child to have ALL tools. It doenst mean we think being deaf is bad.

Heck Im proud of being deaf myself and I m proud that I have a very good job. It is because I worked my butt off, not play around and rely on SSI or SSDI. I did not have ADA to help me - I showed them by my work experiences and skills period.

I have been struggle with my Federal Government job due to lack of promotion because of communciation access.

I am working full-time at Federal Government for almost 25 years !

I am relief staff for the Deaf Mental Health three time a week and sub staff at Deaf School at Residental Dorm to work with Deaf children twice a week.

I did not want to depend on social security. It will make me more depress and watch T.V. and play on the computer all the day.

I did rather work, it keep my mental and physical stable.

Bear said:
Ok that is cool with me those are your opinions. Now, let me ask you this. Yo8u say hearing owrk and have to work while taking care of ill parents. NOT ALWAYS TRUE they can take PAID leaves of absences. There are a variety of those they can get extended time off for.

Also, you say they dont have SSI to fall back on. Ok, ill buy that but if you-yourself was deaf with an impeccable resume and excellent job skills for the position y ou are applying for and repeatedly get overlooked for that position. Are you telling me you then would not use SSI to support yourself? Hell, my mother who WAS hearing was out of work for a FULL year looking for a job that FIT her skills. She applied for many of jobs that didnt AND was told your too overqualified!! LOl works both ways!

It is a new law for the Federal Government or State employees who take care of their illness children, spouse or parents. They do offer for the colleagues to take care of their family's severly illness for 90 days. They do pay you until you return work, they do deduct what you owe the agency during your Leave of Absence.

Sweetmind said:
CDI in South dakota and Florida.. I dont live there.. Thanks

What makes you think I am dreaming after all that I worked very hard that they dont have any remorse for what happened to me..

State of Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts, alot of Deaf people become CDI nowadays.

Sweetmind, I think you could become CDI since you could translate what other Deaf people who are mental retarded or mental illness. It is very challenge for you. Do not give up your dream ! ;)

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060606/NEWS01/606060338/1002/NEWS

How it works
A video relay call is normally initiated by a deaf person using sign language who wants to call someone who isn't deaf — a relative, a boss, a school, a bank or even a pizzeria. The deaf person will connect to a video relay service via a webcam and the Internet and see the image of a sign language interpreter on a television or computer screen. Using sign language, the caller will tell the interpreter what number to dial. The interpreter will dial, explain to the person answering that he or she is receiving a relay call and convey what is signed; the interpreter also will sign what is being said by the hearing party.
Related news from the Web