Show your support for "I Do" Gay Marriage.

And what are the negatives

Well there are the small fun things like having to go through a legal process to seperate,having credit ruined by your spouse, sometimes paying a higher tax rate ect ect ect. Just like we have now

But let me start by asking a few questions

Would you say there is still an anti-gay bias in the U.S. considering Prop 8?

Would you say there is a bias against hiring gays in the U.S.?

Would you say there are still Gay haters that wish to do gays harm?

And how is this any different from the anti-Semite (Jews and Muslims), anti-Asian and anti-Blacks sentiments when arguing whether or not they should have rights?

I am sorry, but the "we need to keep gays safe from the bad folks" argument is akin to what people said about the Blacks and the Asians in a parental way.

And how is this any different from the anti-Semite (Jews and Muslims), anti-Asian and anti-Blacks sentiments when arguing whether or not they should have rights?

I am sorry, but the "we need to keep gays safe from the bad folks" argument is akin to what people said about the Blacks and the Asians in a parental way.

Here is the thing.

Marriage is public record......

So every time you apply for a job or anything else that requires a background check the marriage will show up. IF anti-gay bias still exists having that marriage as a part of public record could be a negative. True it would be illegal not to hire someone because they are gay....but once you have the info you can always find a reason.

I am not saying that is a reason to ban gay marriage. But it is something for gay couples to think about. There could be alot of drawbacks to having that info public.

Wirelessly posted

Same problem every other minorities face then. So?

So, it's a negative if there is still bias. That's all I ever stated. The difference is racial minorities can't really hide their status. It's usually pretty obvious in the interview. Gay people not so much. Having it a matter of public record changes that.

Again, I never said it was a reason for banning gay marriage. I simply questioned whether anyone had considered the negatives for gays themselves.

Wirelessly posted

Same problem every other minorities face then. So?

So, I guess the logic is that we must take away the equal rights of all minorities in order to protect them from the ignorant and hateful? At least, that's the way it is reading to me. And, we all know that minorities need the help of the big, strong, white heterosexual male to protect them.:giggle:

BTW: 100% for gay marraige.

So, it's a negative if there is still bias. That's all I ever stated. The difference is racial minorities can't really hide their status. It's usually pretty obvious in the interview. Gay people not so much. Having it a matter of public record changes that.

Again, I never said it was a reason for banning gay marriage. I simply questioned whether anyone had considered the negatives for gays themselves.

So, it would be your recommendation that gays stay in the closet and show no pride and self esteem? Hmmm....I guess that would make it more comfortable for the homophobes, but is completely unreasonable.

I am married to a black man and there are people against it and gave us a hard time about it. I said "FUCK YOU and KISS MY ASS" to them.

So, it would be your recommendation that gays stay in the closet and show no pride and self esteem? Hmmm....I guess that would make it more comfortable for the homophobes, but is completely unreasonable.

Nope....my advice is....consider the negatives before getting wrapped up in the hype.... Then one can make an informed decision.

I am married to a black man and there are people against it and gave us a hard time about it. I said "FUCK YOU and KISS MY ASS" to them.

Good... I am glad you are happy. From what I have read it sounds like you have a very happy marriage. :)

Nope....my advice is....consider the negatives before getting wrapped up in the hype.... Then one can make an informed decision.

Why should they consider the negatives? In the old days, it was illegal for blacks to marry whites..now, it is not a big deal (in the workforce) so....sometimes it takes a shock to the system before society really gets used to it. They dont have to like it.

Good... I am glad you are happy. From what I have read it sounds like you have a very happy marriage. :)

Thanks..:)
It is usually the black people who have a problem with it which is kinda ironic.

Why should they consider the negatives? In the old days, it was illegal for blacks to marry whites..now, it is not a big deal (in the workforce) so....sometimes it takes a shock to the system before society really gets used to it. They dont have to like it.

I think considering the negatives before any decision is a good idea. I never said they should not marry. If having the government validate their marriage is important then by all means they should try to make that happen.

The negatives are nor better nor worse than that of heterosexual marriages. It's sort of like saying "consider the negatives of having women vote before getting wrapped up in the hype.... Then one can make an informed decision."

And like shel90 mentioned, I'd like to read some of those negatives, granted they exist...

Back