Show off your own Built a Custom PC!

:rofl: I understand how you feel. :rofl:

You hit the right point that Upgrading graphic card only neccessary. I agree with you totally cuz Graphic card is a big role to make PC run faster, larger memory and faster Graphic processor make old PC run fast. Upgrading system memory is 2nd to par.

That's the secret of making system go fast.

AGP graphic card are still around. You can check at Ebay or go to computer store, You'll see some AGPs there. PCI-E are becoming a norm and now new PCI-E 2.0!!!

I have seen many Brand Name system like Dell, HP, Compaq, Levono ect often use Onboard graphic chipset that shares system memory which cause problem with some games and apps. Some system allow you to change graphic memory size through BIOS or Graphic chipset software. I prefer using graphic card over Onboard graphic chipset cuz it made everything runs smooth and fast without issue.

I want Nvidia too. ATI is as good as Nvida but have issue when using Linux running on Compiz (Beryl) "eyecandy" desktop. I prefer full "eyecandy" than 80%. Using ATI Radeon graphic card, I only can use 80% of Compiz's Eyecandy desktop, 20% can't work due to driver issue for ATI. Nvidia allow more like "rain" or "snow", puddle and more "eyecandy" which I am missing 20%. Right now I am seeing ATI improving on driver for newer ATI card and Ubuntu and many other Linuxes recommending ATI than Nvida because Nvidia isn't trying hard to build "propriety" driver for Linux. (Sheesh! Nvidia!!)

Some mobo allow up to 3 graphic cards, It either combine speed to one card or allow 3 or 6 monitors (hacker's system :lol:)

I also realized that PCI-E 1x (not 16x) short slot is being use for TV card, Network adapter and some hardware cards to plug in to in place of old PCI slot.

Catty

I think it could up to 4 video card, known as Quad SLI.
quadsli_top.jpg

Quad_SLI_3.jpg

4 video cards!?! HOLY SMOKE!

Yup, lol, I'm not crazy over SLI Quad, it eat alot of watts.

For me, single or dual SLI is enough, I'm personally prefers powerful single card because not all games could handle with SLI.

For me, single or dual SLI is enough, I'm personally prefers powerful single card because not all games could handle with SLI.

I see. thats cool!:thumb:

Wow, I'd wonder what needs that much graphical processing power outside of studio related purposes. You could probably play Crisis/F.E.A.R. with everything turned up for the cost of like, $1500 in video cards.

Dude, Now I got it.. Whoa, whoa! excuse me, I am very behind about dual video cards.. You will get three videocard and put them in Single PC? all I can saying "WOW, are you kidding?". You can't blame me that I aint in Strongly PC gamer. You tell me why you want more than one video card in PC? I just curious and love to learning something new! I want to give a try someday.. who knows.. ha! ;)

I hate it when I playing games 800x600 with lowest setting in Half-life 2 and others games because my video card is really low-profile Geforce 6200 TC 128MB so I've unistalled 5 games from my currently PC and use it for checking email, internet or whatever that will not cause my current pc slower. I'll buy 3 video cards GeForce GTX 260 for my 2nd PC that would be best to play any games and good for up to 5 years or so...

if 4 video cards, I recommanded 1000 watts or up.

I hate it when I playing games 800x600 with lowest setting in Half-life 2 and others games because my video card is really low-profile Geforce 6200 TC 128MB so I've unistalled 5 games from my currently PC and use it for checking email, internet or whatever that will not cause my current pc slower. I'll buy 3 video cards GeForce GTX 260 for my 2nd PC that would be best to play any games and good for up to 5 years or so...

Yup, LCD looks horrible when not play games at native resolution.

if 4 video cards, I recommanded 1000 watts or up.

Of course but I'm not interested in 4 graphic cards.

In long time ago, I don't realize about difference on between GTX 260 and GTX 280 for power plug, GTX 260 has 2 of 6 pins and GTX 280 has 1 of 6 pin and 1 of 8 pin, PSU in my PC only have 2 of 6 pin.

I went ahead got 9800 GTX due good sale from newegg but won't performs on recent games under 1650 x 1050 at max setting after got new monitor since my old monitor is only 1440 x 900 then I had turned few setting so down to speed the FPS up.

I think it could up to 4 video card, known as Quad SLI.
quadsli_top.jpg

Quad_SLI_3.jpg

Sheesh! what a graphic monsters!!

Betcha you won't be needing upgrade nearly 10 years. I am seeing pix of graphic cards lined up that cooling fans are sucking thin not getting enuf air to cool GPU!! Interesting. Where's breathing room for it? :rofl:

Catty

Of course but I'm not interested in 4 graphic cards.

In long time ago, I don't realize about difference on between GTX 260 and GTX 280 for power plug, GTX 260 has 2 of 6 pins and GTX 280 has 1 of 6 pin and 1 of 8 pin, PSU in my PC only have 2 of 6 pin.

I went ahead got 9800 GTX due good sale from newegg but won't performs on recent games under 1650 x 1050 at max setting after got new monitor since my old monitor is only 1440 x 900 then I had turned few setting so down to speed the FPS up.

What about graphic card with 1GB or 2GB DDR3 memory? Would that be enuf to run game with settings all cranked up to max?

Catty

I can't stop thinking about GeForce 260 and staring pictures in newegg.com and read all reviews about it. lol. I can't wait to get it for my new computer. It comes with free game FarCry 2 :cool2:
evga_geforce_gtx_260_ftw-270608.jpg

What about graphic card with 1GB or 2GB DDR3 memory? Would that be enuf to run game with settings all cranked up to max?

Catty

Probably, I believe more VRAM will handle with high resolution.

Yup, LCD looks horrible when not play games at native resolution.

why LCD is horrible when ply games? Well I found CRT Dell model M781s from outside someone throw it and it looks nice and I did a little bit research about it and found out that CRT can up to 1600x1200 @65hz. So I don't have to buy new LCD, lucky me :)

why LCD is horrible when ply games? Well I found CRT Dell model M781s from outside someone throw it and it looks nice and I did a little bit research about it and found out that CRT can up to 1600x1200 @65hz. So I don't have to buy new LCD, lucky me :)

It's probably different display technology or ms when you don't set at native resolution.

For me, I prefer LCD.

If LCD's native resolution is 1650 x 1050, it means games should be settled at 1650 x 1050 for better picture.

It's probably different display technology or ms when you don't set at native resolution.

For me, I prefer LCD.

If LCD's native resolution is 1650 x 1050, it means games should be settled at 1650 x 1050 for better picture.

It's time for me to buy LCD.

because of refresh rate. some hardcore pro-gamer uses CRT (usually designed for graphic artist). There are some LCDS that have outstanding rich quality but they are very expensive.

Sheesh! what a graphic monsters!!

Betcha you won't be needing upgrade nearly 10 years. I am seeing pix of graphic cards lined up that cooling fans are sucking thin not getting enuf air to cool GPU!! Interesting. Where's breathing room for it? :rofl:

Catty

just leave it out, or put it in a MASSIVE Server case, the one which house 4 motherboards (yes indeed, its ONE computer, dual CPU sockets, just a different breed, its al commerical grade stuff.

buying BIG cases from computer shops doesnt cut it, get it from on line auctions (or real auctions) - the de-commissioned server(S) from server farms, and pull out all the innards these will be old high end mobos, scuzzys and such.. you might even have to do your own measuring and drilling to screw in the bass pins for housing your own 'standard PC mobos' ....

with this kind of case, its also a good idea to blue print your own 'air flow' plan, and make use of getting really good 120mm fans ( they turn over quieter)
i dont want to get into arguements about airflow in 'blow in or blow out' geez very cases are different, in most cases its blow in the cold air , and draw out the hot air excess FROM the video cards, not that hard to understand, really

hmm i dunno about buying 4 cards now lol, cuz inlike 2-3 years ONE good card will do the ob of today's 2-3 card easy... it happens all the time, its just a bragging rights and really who gives a fuck? except Professional gamers would HAVE to have the quad SLI or SLI, while for 95% of us it doesnt make much difference

:)

The way I see it, going more than dual just means for today's multimedia world, you want the best for what's out there RIGHT NOW for the game that you want to play. It has nothing to do with future proofing, that's just a gimmick to make you feel safe about your buy.

Remember the SLI Voodoo 2 PCI's? Exact similar situation back in the late 90's. Game of choice then was Quake/Quake2 and in order to provide better framerates and higher memory (textures, etc) the V2SLI attracted people that desired this.

The purpose of adding more memory to a videocard is exactly for texture rendering. How much textures can be displayed, and how fast it can be done. There is a limit to due to how far the programmers allow for it to be done in the game. It's almost exactly for the same reasons of adding more memory over 2GB on a desktop system. Adding more is always beneficial, but the gains are so slight you won't even notice anything to the native eye, especially depending on what you are doing.

In a game, you could say, it goes both ways. How far the world gets drawn out in a RPG, how detailed the building looks in Fallout 3 or Farcry 2, etc. In multiplayer, for most programmers you want an equalized game for everyone so that no one can get an advantage just because of their system specs. So there are limits to background textures and stuff that can be controlled server-side.

And yeah, for CRT vs LCD. If you want higher refresh rates (VERY important for FPS games where everything is going by the nanoseconds) you'll want a CRT. It is able to draw images on the screen faster than LCD crystals can generate them. (Hence, higher refresh rates).

I haven't been playing for awhile, but the only game I last knew about where FPS mattered was Quake 3. If your FPS was set to max at 60 due to vsync or general LCD settings, there was this one block you could not jump over in multiplayer 1 vs 1 arena. If you bypassed the 60FPS cap, you were able to jump over this block. Sounds crazy, but if you saw it you'll know what I mean.

Back