Should We Use Experimental Drugs on Prisoners?

Would death row prisoners appreciate this:wave:...
...seeing as a good few of 'em probably ended up in there by "experimental drug benders" in the first place:giggle:..
..."honest to god y'r honour Ah did'nt rightly know what in the hell Ah was doing,..what with all them there drugs frying up ma brain an' all":roll:

This fact that this path would reinforce the maxim that "crime does indeed pay" and the possibility that a drug might acutually bump a convict off before Uncle Sam gets the official boot in the ...erm...prescribed:giggle:...state sanctioned manner will undoubtedly make sure it never comes to pass:hmm:

Hey Robin.
How about this, I think it should reflect the overall aspect of experimental drugs from the big picture.

Are you against animal or human gene & DNA biomedical technology?
Yeah people are against animal cloning, but they appear to be the only way we can start from, otherwise how do the scientists advance the technology?

Their byproducts are then used on humans for better personal benefit. Even some of the medicine you or others may take, unknowingly to them comes from "uninformed consent" of organisms like bacteria, viruses...
Surgical donors can come from animals as well, xenotransplantation (using organs from animals) is becoming a bigger thing.

A lot of us who depend on medicine would be dead rather than alive today, without the uninformed consent of animals!

A lot of us who depend on medicine would be dead rather than alive today, without the uninformed consent of animals!

probably the greatest hero of the humanity... and also the greatest annoyance

lab_rat.jpg

(I'll be back in a few hours)!...You guys are awesome!...And addictive!..I got run some important errands! As Arnold said..."I'll be back"!!

Perhaps!...but are we offering animals an "informed consent"??...'Course not! So, instead, we're offering people walking our streets $$$ to agree to the testing!..And to be fair...we could offer death row prisoners a few more "priviledges"....To begin with, this man made $10,000 to agree to the testing. And he could make a lot more since he was only 23!...say he took 50 testings! That's $500,00! He doesn't have to work! And if he becomes sick, then the government has to take care of his medical issues....It's gonna cost us MORE in the long run there!

Animals have absolutely nothing to do with this, unless of course, you are suggesting that a prisoner becomes nothing more than an animal when he commits a crime, and sacrifices all of his human rights. I would certainly hope that you are not suggesting something like that.:shock:

Again, if you offer them privileges it is called coercion, and negates the fully informed and voluntary consent. Fully informed, voluntary consent is necessary for any experimental study.

What if the prisoners you are talking about became ill as a result of the experiments? We have to take care of their medical costs. Who do you think pays those costs? The government does. So that argument makes absolutely no sense.

Seems like Robin wants extra punishment by making the prisoners sick from medical testing.

I thought cruel and unusual punishment was also prohibited.

What if the prisoners you are talking about became ill as a result of the experiments? We have to take care of their medical costs. Who do you think pays those costs? The government does. So that argument makes absolutely no sense.

ah... now that's a different case from my argument above. Yes you're right that we as the taxpayers have to pay for it - whether or not if it's from the experiments. My argument was referring to Joe the Plumber voluntarily participating in experimental drug study.

ah... now that's a different case from my argument above. Yes you're right that we as the taxpayers have to pay for it - whether or not if it's from the experiments. My argument was referring to Joe the Plumber voluntarily participating in experimental drug study.

Yeah, my post was in response to robin saying that the government will take care of the volunteer's medical costs. That argument is moot, as it would be the same with the prisoner's. Government taking care of their medical costs.

Seems like Robin wants extra punishment by making the prisoners sick from medical testing.

I thought cruel and unusual punishment was also prohibited.

Yep. That is why it is illegal to test prisoners (or anyone, for that matter) without voluntary, informed consent.

Hey Robin.
How about this, I think it should reflect the overall aspect of experimental drugs from the big picture.

Are you against animal or human gene & DNA biomedical technology?
Yeah people are against animal cloning, but they appear to be the only way we can start from, otherwise how do the scientists advance the technology?

Their byproducts are then used on humans for better personal benefit. Even some of the medicine you or others may take, unknowingly to them comes from "uninformed consent" of organisms like bacteria, viruses...
Surgical donors can come from animals as well, xenotransplantation (using organs from animals) is becoming a bigger thing.

Good question! And one I cannot respond to!...I'm not the smartest chick in the hen house!...Perhaps the other members can debate on this?

And what would happen if prisoners were tested, and then side effects becomes complicated, they suffered mentally and becomes more violent, it may lead them to more future crimes. I believe that's dangerous if you ask me. lol

What about the people in our "free" society, taking these drugs?...Suppose they flip out?...And commit crimes?..Then are in prison??...That's more and more prisoners!

Yep. And it turned into a death sentence for some that were only sentenced to a few years.

Ahh, I was just talking about "death row prisoners"...not just any prisoner!...How about those lifers with no parole! Almost like a death sentence too!

Would death row prisoners appreciate this:wave:...
...seeing as a good few of 'em probably ended up in there by "experimental drug benders" in the first place:giggle:..
..."honest to god y'r honour Ah did'nt rightly know what in the hell Ah was doing,..what with all them there drugs frying up ma brain an' all":roll:

This fact that this path would reinforce the maxim that "crime does indeed pay" and the possibility that a drug might acutually bump a convict off before Uncle Sam gets the official boot in the ...erm...prescribed:giggle:...state sanctioned manner will undoubtedly make sure it never comes to pass:hmm:

I agree somewhat!....We have prisoners there who committed crimes while doing street drugs....I've yet to know of any prisoners who were incarnated due to experimental drugs (by the FDA), but I wouldn't doubt it!....Now it's a big possibility that people that agree to experimental drug testing via the FDA...could possibly flip out and commit crimes!...And that means...prison!...So....here we go!...More people in prisons!

Don't make sense!...Test the ones that are already there (death row or lifers with no parole)!...If the FDA drugs kill the death row/lifer inmates, they were gonna die in prison anyhow. Then the FDA would know not to distrubute that drug to the human population. That's my input....Save lives on the "outside"...save $$ on the "inside"!

Not sure what you mean by "flip out"? Seems like too horror movie-ish...?

Not sure what you mean by "flip out"? Seems like too horror movie-ish...?

Ah, No...not horror movie-ish!...."Flipping out"...losing ur mind, getting excessively angry..many other meanings....this man "flipped out" and shot several people is one example.

I agree somewhat!....We have prisoners there who committed crimes while doing street drugs....I've yet to know of any prisoners who were incarnated due to experimental drugs (by the FDA), but I wouldn't doubt it!....Now it's a big possibility that people that agree to experimental drug testing via the FDA...could possibly flip out and commit crimes!...And that means...prison!...So....here we go!...More people in prisons!

Don't make sense!...Test the ones that are already there (death row or lifers with no parole)!...If the FDA drugs kill the death row/lifer inmates, they were gonna die in prison anyhow. Then the FDA would know not to distrubute that drug to the human population. That's my input....Save lives on the "outside"...save $$ on the "inside"!

Again, they cannot do that because it is illegal.

you know Nazi used to do that in the name of science. Do you want us to be Nazi too? What you just suggested is unconscionable and un-American. The Constitution specifically forbids it - the 8th Amendment.

you know Nazi used to do that in the name of science. Do you want us to be Nazi too? What you just suggested is unconscionable and un-American. The Constitution specifically forbids it - the 8th Amendment.

Us Nazi's?? No way!...I'm very patroitic and love my country! If the Constitution forbids it...then why are we testing our people off the street?? Most likely, good people! But just not caring what they put into their bodies! Not playing with a "full deck" eh?

It's just my opinion! Not the law! I can't change the laws, but I can voice my opinion, can't I? Ur reference to "nazi" was an insult! Let's not "name call" here!...We can close this thread if you'd like!...I'm standing by my opinion, tho'! And respect urs, to a certain extent!

Us Nazi's?? No way!...I'm very patroitic and love my country! If the Constitution forbids it...then why are we testing our people off the street?? Most likely, good people! But just not caring what they put into their bodies! Not playing with a "full deck" eh?

It's just my opinion! Not the law! I can't change the laws, but I can voice my opinion, can't I? Ur reference to "nazi" was an insult! Let's not "name call" here!...We can close this thread if you'd like!...I'm standing by my opinion, tho'! And respect urs, to a certain extent!

The Constitution does not prevent testing people on the street. Nor does the law. They are able to voluntarily give informed consent. A prisoner that is forced to be tested cannot give voluntarily informed consent. Nor can a prisoner who is offered special favors give voluntary informed consent. A man on the street has the freedom to choose. A prisoner does not. And to force them to submit to human testing is cruel and unusual punishment.

Back