Should I Get An Implant?

The problem in positing on a sign-oriented site, is you aren't going to get unbiased advice regarding Hearing assistance devices. It is really a failure to understand the strong need and desire to hear. Like being deaf, hearing was their norm too, and it isn't a case of OK, let's move on do some sign language join a deaf club or community, the desire to hear is paramount, and joining another culture and using another 'language' may be two hurdles too much to overcome. It looks even at this topic there is an aversion by some deaf to accept any form of assistance to hear, even hostility towards it. I could only suggest CI sites or HI/HoH areas are better placed to get the advice you need, not ask people who clearly would not have a CI as gift ! I can assure readers here that is they had hearing during formative years and into early adulthood, then, a CI looks a really viable alternative to hearing nothing. I know people with hearing aids who really do NOT hear most through them, but such is the terror and fear of being deaf, they stick with them regardless, better to 'hear' unintelligible noises than nothing ? Believe it ! It may appear irrational to those who are deaf, but it drives all research, all hearing aid improvements, all CI implants, and most oral approaches, it's a real drive to eradicate hearing loss with this sector. Is it based on fear of silence,maybe, but I don't think sign users opposing their choice helps anyone, just suggests Us, and them. Given 60% of deaf here in the UK have CI's now, it isn't really viable for ostracising or criticising them for their choice.

The problem in positing on a sign-oriented site, is you aren't going to get unbiased advice regarding Hearing assistance devices. It is really a failure to understand the strong need and desire to hear. Like being deaf, hearing was their norm too, and it isn't a case of OK, let's move on do some sign language join a deaf club or community, the desire to hear is paramount, and joining another culture and using another 'language' may be two hurdles too much to overcome. It looks even at this topic there is an aversion by some deaf to accept any form of assistance to hear, even hostility towards it. I could only suggest CI sites or HI/HoH areas are better placed to get the advice you need, not ask people who clearly would not have a CI as gift ! I can assure readers here that is they had hearing during formative years and into early adulthood, then, a CI looks a really viable alternative to hearing nothing. I know people with hearing aids who really do NOT hear most through them, but such is the terror and fear of being deaf, they stick with them regardless, better to 'hear' unintelligible noises than nothing ? Believe it ! It may appear irrational to those who are deaf, but it drives all research, all hearing aid improvements, all CI implants, and most oral approaches, it's a real drive to eradicate hearing loss with this sector. Is it based on fear of silence,maybe, but I don't think sign users opposing their choice helps anyone, just suggests Us, and them. Given 60% of deaf here in the UK have CI's now, it isn't really viable for ostracising or criticising them for their choice.
Actually posting here they will get more unbiased opinions because they will get multiple opinions instead of just one. Going to CI and HA threads there is only one opinion.... get one...
As for readers who have had hearing in their formative years and early adulthood automatically wanting the CI, I would disagree that it is a blanketed as you write. I am one and have no interest in the CI...

I had hearing in childhood <not sure about birth - born very premature> and am hoh now, noticed this about maybe 6 years ago. Mild hoh- true. Have always been a visually oriented person and learn best through visual and "doing". People have asked me if I'd want a CI if my hearing changed much more to the "severe/prfound" end. I told them - didn't think so. I prefer to try to sign what little I know and would be happy to do sign-only at home <husband hoh/deaf- no sign- very Hearing -so we don't>. I also did think about the cultural implications around CI that Deaf people have explained to me and which I understand clear.
My hub is another hoh - born hoh/deaf - mainstream solitaire. He is not interested in CI. He's actually much more verbal-auditory-oriented than me.

I am curious, what was your dr opinion about that? (more exposure, better results?)

Fuzzy

I don't remember, he was basically like we could do either. Pretty sure he agreed with me. He wanted me to be wearing a hearing aid in my left ear before we go to implant it so it can get used to the stimulation. Considering that, I'd have to say my feelings on that are correct, otherwise why would it matter? I think people are usually more comfortable implanting their worse ear in case it doesn't work so docs just follow the path of least resistance and do what their patients are more comfortable with. Since I wanted my right one for the implant we tried a stapedectomy in my left first (they had to try that first since it's a less invasive surgery) but it didn't work. It does have more hearing in it than my right now so it has become my "good" ear. I don't wear an a hearing aid in it though because it makes me nuts. I need so much volume for it I can feel the sound waves and it doesn't give me any speech.

The problem in positing on a sign-oriented site, is you aren't going to get unbiased advice regarding Hearing assistance devices.

will you get unbiased advice regarding hearing devices on CI fetish boards?

It is really a failure to understand the strong need and desire to hear. Like being deaf, hearing was their norm too, and it isn't a case of OK, let's move on do some sign language join a deaf club or community, the desire to hear is paramount, and joining another culture and using another 'language' may be two hurdles too much to overcome.

diversity of human experience is one of the great human treasures. diversity of being human is one of the jewls of the treasure of being human.
the idea that being mono cultural and monolingual isn't really what taps the strength of what being human is...
monolingual people are always at a disadvantage when up against those with more languages under their belt...
overcoming hurdles is how we human got on top of the food chain....
no the easy walk no....it shard work...just like life is..
the idea that we all have to fit a one size fits all standard measure of what is deemed normal and what is deemed abnormal and thus targeted for eradication we DO nOT accept.

It looks even at this topic there is an aversion by some deaf to accept any form of assistance to hear, even hostility towards it. I could only suggest CI sites or HI/HoH areas are better placed to get the advice you need, not ask people who clearly would not have a CI as gift ! .

indeed you are correct forums and boards paid for and operated by multinational companies to push their products will be far less hostile to you buying their product then others not of those boards..
yep

I can assure readers here that is they had hearing during formative years and into early adulthood, then, a CI looks a really viable alternative to hearing nothing.

you are wrong in you assurance. im one of those,and i refuse the drill. and im not alone.

I know people with hearing aids who really do NOT hear most through them, but such is the terror and fear of being deaf,

being Deaf is not a terror, indeed those who want to push products on you will play on your fears yes.

T
they stick with them regardless, better to 'hear' unintelligible noises than nothing ? Believe it ! It may appear irrational to those who are deaf, but it drives all research, all hearing aid improvements, all CI implants, and most oral approaches,

oral approaches, are something separate from the actual technology of CI, though you are correct in placing them in the same line of thought after all to use a line from the brits in the fight..."CI are oralisms final solution" the companies in the combined system are heavily invested stake holders in the very idea of orlaism and the practices and actions that used to promote orlaism. and their actions in DENYING sign language acquisition to Deaf babies and children, and in keeping Deaf children and babies away from other Deaf children so that they "do not revert back to being Deaf", at the expense of the intellectual and emotional development of Deaf, whats important to orlaist is not the knowledge being learned in school, or even the well being of the Deaf student inflicted by its practises that is a far distant distant second, whats the prime reason d'etre for orlaism is to move your beak so so right in.... th...th....th...th, ba....ba....ba....ba.. as knowledge and actually learning passes you by...orlaism has been a colossal failure ever since its domination.

it's a real drive to eradicate hearing loss with this sector. Is it based on fear of silence,maybe, but I don't think sign users opposing their choice helps anyone, just suggests Us, and them. Given 60% of deaf here in the UK have CI's now, it isn't really viable for ostracising or criticising them for their choice.

yes and our communities ideas, thoughts and wishes were never even considered in the first place, so pls spare me the ostracisation nonsense.
got o a CI fetish board and enjoy

Last edited:
I don't remember, he was basically like we could do either. Pretty sure he agreed with me. He wanted me to be wearing a hearing aid in my left ear before we go to implant it so it can get used to the stimulation. Considering that, I'd have to say my feelings on that are correct, otherwise why would it matter? I think people are usually more comfortable implanting their worse ear in case it doesn't work so docs just follow the path of least resistance and do what their patients are more comfortable with. Since I wanted my right one for the implant we tried a stapedectomy in my left first (they had to try that first since it's a less invasive surgery) but it didn't work. It does have more hearing in it than my right now so it has become my "good" ear. I don't wear an a hearing aid in it though because it makes me nuts. I need so much volume for it I can feel the sound waves and it doesn't give me any speech.

Thank you :)

And this is theoretical only - have you, though, ever consider the idea that when it comes to remembering the sounds it doesn't matter which ear is better, since the memory is in the brain only?
so, although you couldn't understand anything through your worse ear it probably wasn't because the ear "forgot",
but because (by your own admission) - the hearing was so far gone you could hardly hear anything?
My suspicion is, if you had implanted the 'worse ear', you probably would have the same outcome, as to me it looks like it was a matter of adequate sound increase. I might be mistaken of course, after all you are you and only you can tell what's best for you :)
Just thinking aloud :)

Also, have you ever considered implanting the other ear since then?

Last but not least - I am glad it worked for you!

Fuzzy

Thank you :)

And this is theoretical only - have you, though, ever consider the idea that when it comes to remembering the sounds it doesn't matter which ear is better, since the memory is in the brain only?
so, although you couldn't understand anything through your worse ear it probably wasn't because the ear "forgot",
but because (by your own admission) - the hearing was so far gone you could hardly hear anything?
My suspicion is, if you had implanted the 'worse ear', you probably would have the same outcome, as to me it looks like it was a matter of adequate sound increase. I might be mistaken of course, after all you are you and only you can tell what's best for you :)
Just thinking aloud :)

Also, have you ever considered implanting the other ear since then?

Last but not least - I am glad it worked for you!

Fuzzy

Actually I think it's more than theoretical. Otherwise why would he be wanting me to use a hearing aid in that other ear to get it ready for a CI? I think the nerve stimulation is also part of it. Since the stapedectomy it IS getting more stimulation than it was getting before. That ear is still profound, 90db is the quietest it can hear anything and even then only in a few hz, mostly it's in the 100-120 range. I can hear, unaided, when things bang together mostly. But wearing an aid in it awful. I just can't tolerate it.

Actually I think it's more than theoretical. Otherwise why would he be wanting me to use a hearing aid in that other ear to get it ready for a CI? I think the nerve stimulation is also part of it. Since the stapedectomy it IS getting more stimulation than it was getting before. That ear is still profound, 90db is the quietest it can hear anything and even then only in a few hz, mostly it's in the 100-120 range. I can hear, unaided, when things bang together mostly. But wearing an aid in it awful. I just can't tolerate it.

wow, that's promising.. now I wonder what it is about HA that drives you bonkers - not powerful enough? you hear whistles and swishes and wind and the likes, or perhaps you are used to hearing relatively clearly with the good ear, so not hearing words properly is making you bananas?
either way, for exercise purposes why not wear it with a text in hand (You Tube cc, for example, or lyrics, or for kids) just to stimulate more hearing, for like and hour or two a day?

Fuzzy

wow, that's promising.. now I wonder what it is about HA that drives you bonkers - not powerful enough? you hear whistles and swishes and wind and the likes, or perhaps you are used to hearing relatively clearly with the good ear, so not hearing words properly is making you bananas?
either way, for exercise purposes why not wear it with a text in hand (You Tube cc, for example, or lyrics, or for kids) just to stimulate more hearing, for like and hour or two a day?

Fuzzy
Perhaps she has recruitment and the high volume she needs hurts her ear drum. My worse ear tickles when the volume starts to get too loud for it and then hurts if the volume is raised more. I don't think I'm getting the full benefit from its hearing aid, but hopefully enough to have success with in implant (I'm going to get evaluated soon to see if I'm a candidate now that they've changed the requirements).

Exactly. I can feel sound and it's not just for a few pitches either almost all sound tickles my ear drum. I've tried wearing just the aid, to see how much speech I get, but nothing. Just gibberish. If t was helping me with speech I might try to push through but pffffft I understand almost 100% with just my CI on (as long as there's not a lot of background noise)

will you get unbiased advice regarding hearing devices on CI fetish boards?

diversity of human experience is one of the great human treasures. diversity of being human is one of the jewls of the treasure of being human.
the idea that being mono cultural and monolingual isn't really what taps the strength of what being human is...
monolingual people are always at a disadvantage when up against those with more languages under their belt...
overcoming hurdles is how we human got on top of the food chain....
no the easy walk no....it shard work...just like life is..
the idea that we all have to fit a one size fits all standard measure of what is deemed normal and what is deemed abnormal and thus targeted for eradication we DO nOT accept.

indeed you are correct forums and boards paid for and operated by multinational companies to push their products will be far less hostile to you buying their product then others not of those boards..
yep

you are wrong in you assurance. im one of those,and i refuse the drill. and im not alone.

being Deaf is not a terror, indeed those who want to push products on you will play on your fears yes.

oral approaches, are something separate from the actual technology of CI, though you are correct in placing them in the same line of thought after all to use a line from the brits in the fight..."CI are oralisms final solution" the companies in the combined system are heavily invested stake holders in the very idea of orlaism and the practices and actions that used to promote orlaism. and their actions in DENYING sign language acquisition to Deaf babies and children, and in keeping Deaf children and babies away from other Deaf children so that they "do not revert back to being Deaf", at the expense of the intellectual and emotional development of Deaf, whats important to orlaist is not the knowledge being learned in school, or even the well being of the Deaf student inflicted by its practises that is a far distant distant second, whats the prime reason d'etre for orlaism is to move your beak so so right in.... th...th....th...th, ba....ba....ba....ba.. as knowledge and actually learning passes you by...orlaism has been a colossal failure ever since its domination.

yes and our communities ideas, thoughts and wishes were never even considered in the first place, so pls spare me the ostracisation nonsense.
got o a CI fetish board and enjoy

I'm a little alarmed at the comment a CI is some 'fetish'. Of course if your choice is really you do not want one, that's fine. As for refusals, what coercion is there to have a CI ? (In the UK there isn't any), maybe American's are more open to the hard sell, but again the UK doesn't really have a 'private' medical system. From what I read there ARE some pretty outrageous statements by CI manufacturers in the USA, and perhaps the claims are less challenged by systems there than they are here. However a choice is a choice and if someone wants one,who are we to oppose. No a CI doesn't give you hearing as we who had hearing know it, but you can train yourself to listen a lot better with a CI. I have no interest in Oralism/Audism topics really they don't aid balance to issues, just pit one person against another. It's clear by reading the original poster the CI he was given he should not have been given, because checks on the viability weren't done. I'd like to think this would not happen in the UK but who knows ? It is difficult anyway to get a CI even with the funds to pay, because UK criterias are quite strict, American criteria don't seem to be, if you can pay, you can have. You would endure here quite strict psychological and physical checks, including the viability and testing of the nerve. Many born deaf who ask for a CI's are refused outright here. There is a bias towards children, and adults who had a hearing background, because successful use needs that adaptability and pre-knowledge of sound a distinct advantage. I've met many CI implants, they sign too, and manage in the deaf world OK, indeed seem to gravitate that way despite having more aural access. We must be mindful we don't make outcasts of people with CI's given 40%+ here of deaf have them. You would be deterring future deaf community membership. If it is of interest I applied for a CI years ago and was refused even although funding was available, because the nerve wasn't viable.

I'm a little alarmed at the comment a CI is some 'fetish'.

be alarmed all you want.

Of course if your choice is really you do not want one, that's fine.

thank you

I'
As for refusals, what coercion is there to have a CI ? (In the UK there isn't any),

How many Deaf do you knwo in the U.k> ask them and they will tell you, you also don't knwo your Deaf history of the u.k. then apparently if you make this claim. so educate yourself

maybe American's are more open to the hard sell, but again the UK doesn't really have a 'private' medical system.

yes im aware of that, ive lived in the U.K. gov. medical systems are just as bad as the private when it come sto C.I.

From what I read there ARE some pretty outrageous statements by CI manufacturers in the USA, and perhaps the claims are less challenged by systems there than they are here.

the combined system of CI is global, and spans borders. as does the march of assimilation, so does our resistance to it.

However a choice is a choice and if someone wants one,who are we to oppose.

WE are Deaf, and its our community and our people who are harmed from the behaviours of the very entities who produce and manufacture and push and drill these things into our babies and children's heads. that's who we are! what other product on the markets end users are ignored by those who create and push it? can you name me another besides CI? .as for choice, choice? did you type that with a straight face? our children and babies don't have a choice, the very same entities who drill into you are also the very same ones who push and heavily market their product as young as they can get it into you. the same ones who push to limit choices via gov dictate in other countries, some their is no choice, others is slowly eroding, what do you mean by choice? choice by definition means more then one option to choose from. it is a known fact, that the other option ie our alternative is heavily heavily ignored even when that is contradicting laws. there are more and more precedents at the limiting of choice in this issue. even in america, the courts have been used to actually limit choices, setting dangerous precedents. Deaf people have had their lives ruined, families torn apart by courts, some even jail, for refusing to have their children wear the implant. (google is your friend) even custody has been ls to because of it, so don't wag your finger here to us about choice..what ever you call it, its has been consistently under attack by the same entities who produce and push CI and their combined system. .choice is socially conditioned and choices in this are getting less and less. as the many headed hydra that is CI, and its combined system get ever more aggressive in implantation our babies and children. our feelings as a community were never even bothered to be asked, so spare us the "choice" schtick pls

No a CI doesn't give you hearing as we who had hearing know it, but you can train yourself to listen a lot better with a CI.

the device differs deafness does not cure it, but thats not how they pitched it to the media or the governments, famous examples are 60 minutes where it was not just a cure but a "miracle"

I have no interest in Oralism/Audism topics really they don't aid balance to issues, just pit one person against another.

well too bad the very companies and entities who drill into our babies and children's heads and you support don't hold this view, they very much disagree with you. and thus our fundamental plm, here, as WE are very much opposed to their assimilation and oral agenda as imposed on Deaf babies sand children at the babies and children's expense.

It's clear by reading the original poster the CI he was given he should not have been given, because checks on the viability weren't done. I'd like to think this would not happen in the UK but who knows ?

oh it happens int he U.K, again how many Deaf do you know?

It is difficult anyway to get a CI even with the funds to pay, because UK criterias are quite strict, American criteria don't seem to be, if you can pay, you can have. You would endure here quite strict psychological and physical checks, including the viability and testing of the nerve.

are you discussing Deaf babies or Deaf children? or deaf adults, Deaf adults?

Many born deaf who ask for a CI's are refused outright here.

pls provide the actual data to back up this statement thank you,

There is a bias towards children, and adults who had a hearing background, because successful use needs that adaptability and pre-knowledge of sound a distinct advantage.

this NOT true. it alos betrays you have limited actual experience in this field. from the very first testing of babies, the framework used by the medical profession and the combined system is a medical audiological framework and not a cultural one. as you in your statement claim. this is the issue, from the start. its not a medical issue its a social plm, but they only view it and act on it as a medical plm. oen to be fixed,

I've met many CI implants, they sign too,

so you know Deaf in the U.K. then you would also know how false some of these statements you're making are...its not just the signing, its first of all the fluency acquisition and what signs really? BSL? SEE? what? as for the actual behaviour of the multi-nationals and the combined system who keep Deaf children away from other Deaf children so that they "do not revert back to being Deaf" and prevent Sign language acquisition...

and manage in the deaf world OK, indeed seem to gravitate that way despite having more aural access.

define world? define ok? whats your measure here?

We must be mindful we don't make outcasts of people with CI's given 40%+ here of deaf have them. You would be deterring future deaf community membership. If it is of interest I applied for a CI years ago and was refused even although funding was available, because the nerve wasn't viable.

are you Deaf?
if not do NOT use the WE in regards to me and you in this discussion.
thank you.

as for Deaf, we are not the ones who are making outcasts. the combined system is, not us. our very views, and ideas, and feelings were never even considered nor are they now. they keep moving the goal posts re CI implamption to get more and more and more....each soon caught in a highly restrictive system designed to colonize them, ie DENY sign language acquisition and instead replace it with....not very much considering the huge failures orlaism has wrought on us, yet here we are, so..its sure the hell isn't US doing that outcasting what ever it is you mean by that. that is NOT to state, mass implantation against our wishes hasn't caused in our community plms. it sure has, like any form of colonialism does, indeed

I'd like to think this would not happen in the UK but who knows ? It is difficult anyway to get a CI even with the funds to pay, because UK criterias are quite strict, American criteria don't seem to be, if you can pay, you can have.

Good manners suggest while visit, do not insult the host.

Fuzzy

Back