Senstivity to Sounds

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today, the sounds from my son's TV were really really annoying me so I had to turn the volume down even though it was not set on very high. I noticed that I have been feeling ultra sensitive to sounds all day today. Like, they were hurting me or something like that.

Sometimes I have days like those when daily sounds all of sudden make my whole body hurt especially my head and I cant focus.

Anyone (hearing or deaf) have the same experiences?

I get that sometimes ..maybe it's recruitmnent?

Dunno..this am, on the way to my class, I couldnt have the music on because it made my whole body hurt. Then, the instructor's voice really grated my nerves and I had to take my HA off.

I noticed that it has been happening more frequently lately. :hmm:

hmm trip to the audi or ent perhaps.. this happens to me alot and I just can't handle it and i take it off...mostly in noisy environments or loud noise...if im at home its mostly ok..but like malls and stuff...cant standddd it!hurts me ears

Happens to me a lot. I don't have a solution for it. :dunno2:

These are what my 22 month old has...the Phonac Naida. How can I tell if they are hurting his ears,or causing him this kind of trouble?

These are what my 22 month old has...the Phonac Naida. How can I tell if they are hurting his ears,or causing him this kind of trouble?

Have the audiologist test him and observe him.

This problem of recruitment normally comes after long time hearing aid use, so he really should not have it.

Most audis do real ear measurement for hearing aids to ensure they are not too loud for the person using them:) So i'm sure your sons hearing aids aren't too loud:)

This happens to me too - in my case I have a few ways to manage it:

If I'm wearing my HA, I'll turn it down - or off (leaving the HA in my ear so the mould blocks the sounds)

I also had a special ear mould made that is meant for hearing protection (to prevent noise induced HL in hearing people) ... if I'm having a HORRIBLE day where all sound hurts I put that mould in (looks like a solid silicone ear mould with a mini vent and no HA tubing hole.)

I'd talk to your Audie and see what they can do - if you have access to multiple "hearing programs" see if they can make one that is more appropriate for "painful days"

I'm hearing but have an auditory processing disorder and some things hurt my ears all the time (styrofoam and cotton balls to name a couple). Some days I have to wear ear plugs all day and some days I am constantly asking people to repeat themselves because I can't hear them correctly.

Only if some day isn't my day when i hear my hearing aid, and it gets on my nerves. At frist i thought i need to adjust my hearing aid, but the other days I feel fine and hear the sounds ok. One time, it wasn't my day, and my son's playing video game that sounds got me on my nerves. I asked my boy, were it loud one and he said, "no." Good enough I did check it was normal sounds. some days are my day. I don't know what is it. But not my body sore, not like what you have experience with the body. Only it's in my head.

Today, the sounds from my son's TV were really really annoying me so I had to turn the volume down even though it was not set on very high. I noticed that I have been feeling ultra sensitive to sounds all day today. Like, they were hurting me or something like that.

Sometimes I have days like those when daily sounds all of sudden make my whole body hurt especially my head and I cant focus.

I do things like this subconsciously all the time if they're within my control. When no one is listening to the radio or it's too loud and no one sees me, I'll quietly turn it down a big notch. At work, someone yakking away on their cellphone without the corridor door closed, I'll close it.
When something is being too loud and I can't focus, I go somewhere else.

I don't feel like it hurts though, just really disruptive to concentration.. and that I prefer peace and quiet.

I find it extremely irriating most of the time, and on others yes, I know what you mean when you say it hurts. Me too.

I find high shrilling noises irritate the hell out of me.... sometimes I get bad headache.

I get that when I'm having a migraine-- any sort of sound even the ceiling fan which is usually calming to me-- will send me into a tizzy... so I'll have to turn it off-- Sometimes I don't even have the headache first, just the sound sensitivity and the headache comes later... like a warning sign.

As a hearie, I have that same problem at times. I am very kinesthetic, and I have a physical reaction to sounds. Sometimes, if I am stressed or tired, or just preoccupied, certain noises will get on my nerves big time. Just the other day, I had to get up and close my office door because the woman in the office next to was on the phone, and the sound of her voice was like a screeching to me. It made me want to scream, "Shut up!":giggle:

I know my son is sometimes more sensitive to sounds that other times. As a child, he used to get overwhelmed when he had his HAs on because the sound was like overstimulation for him. He still has experiences like that, but not as often as when he was a child.

I guess I should tell my dr or my audiologist? I didnt know if it was a common thing or could be a medical issue. Thanks everyone!

I guess I should tell my dr or my audiologist? I didnt know if it was a common thing or could be a medical issue. Thanks everyone!

Yeah, i would recommend discussing it with them both.

Yes! I'm glad you brought this up...I thought I was the only one! Sometimes I'm 100% deaf, immune to sounds. Then some days my hearing aid seems loud as hell, and it hurts! I notice when I have a cold or a slight ear infection, I'm super sensitive. My oldest daughter said one time, "sometimes you turn hearing!" and it drives my husband crazy. He'll remark, 'I thought you were deaf? This isn't loud at all.'

I guess it has to do with fluid being built up in the ears...that's my logical assumption.

I have Meniere's disease and at times loud sounds bothers me greatly. I think it's the fluid build-up in the ear for me. Known as hyperacusis.

Back