Self Moving Trucks

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
Since I already made peeps about the fact that I am moving to D.C. this summer, I thought I could make a thread about moving trucks-- I am interested in hearing your experiences with various moving trucks companies such as U-Haul, BUdget etc..

I am more interested in SELF moving (means: no moving guys, and in some cases you drive the truck YOURSELF to the destination) and how much it costs you (if you dont mind! I am trying to figure out the standard costs... the range is WAY TOO WIDE and I want to get the best deal).

So far I have requested quotes from like 8 companies-- and none of them has replied back. :roll: I only got two estimated prices from two companies off their website.

I am interested in this type of moving: self-moving pods-- where you stuff a small pod up (this is VERY suitable for us since we will purge a lot of furtinature and only bring a full room worth of stuff) and you lock it up, then somebody will pick it up and drop it off at your destination. Unfortunately this type of stuff is not available for ACROSS-COUNTRY moving. :tears:

Hopefully you do know of ONE and share with me!!

It depends on how much you have to move and where you're moving.

For instance, I don't have much to move. I'm going to Texas for a week. So, I rent a mini-van from Alamo or Budget. I fill up the van and drive to Texas. I drive back. When I go back to Texas for good a couple months later, I just use my car and drive back to Texas.

I did think about U-Haul, but they charge $1,300 plus per-mile fees. The moving vans and trucks they had to offer had crappy mileage. So, forget it.

You could try Budget, they got pretty good prices. I only paid $250 moving from California to Utah. I dunno about now. I guess prices go up cuz of gas prices. I moved from Utah to Washington state with Ryder.

You should try different web sites to get instant quotes from point A to B, also. It's better than wasting your time calling them for quotes.

It's called one way moving, not in town moving. If they don't have truck in other location, you can't do it. Budget, U-haul, etc have drop offs in other locations.

I'm sorry you cannot get the best deal anymore because most are over $1,000 for one way. That's the only best they can do. Best time is weekdays for lower prices, not weekends.

The best suggestion to ask a friend with a big pickup truck and a rental trailer to haul your stuff across the US and pay them fee that you can deal.

When I moved to Texas from Minnesota I paid a friend to help me move, and I only took what I really needed (clothes, computer, TV, cats, etc) and bought new stuff when I arrived in Texas. It was cheaper that way. Only cost me $250 for gas and moving expenses.

I agreed some of these posts. I assume that you live in California, and you want to move to D.C.

Two choices:

(1) One way moving truck if the company provides two locations. That would be great.

(2) Ask your friend(s) if they are willing do that for you. You need to figure how how much are you willing to pay. You need some money backup in a case something happen like a car is broken, delay your schedule in the middle of country due heavy weather storm, expensive gas, etc.

My friend mailed her boxes at UPS. All I know that she lives in California. She graduated at Gallaudet. She was my partner for a co-op summer job. If you have a car, then that would be different.

What about transportation on the train? A few years ago, my sister paid about $400 dollars for her truck on the train from Florida to Massachusetts. She doesn't want to be alone all the way home because she was afraid that would something happen to her at a lousy gas station or stop at a restaurant with some strange men. There are many strange men out there at a commercial truck parking a lot (near highway) waiting for a lady to show up. Her ex-boyfriend had a sex with a hooker when he was a big truck driver at near a restaurant. If you are man, they (the men) could rape you no matter what. That's what you have to think about. With your friends, that would be good.

also check with penske, I drove 22 foot truck for a friend to move.. What a good DEAL prices with them.. unlimited mileages so all you have to do to make sure you fill up gas tank when you return at the destinations place you choice for drop off.. or they charge you 5 dollar per gallon *eeekkk*

Good luck.
Wendy

Sequoia:: I did try the websites-- it is LOUSY as well. I haven't got one SINGLE email. only two did give me a quote instantly. Grr! I think the moving companies are just behidn with technology-- email AND phone.

Lucia:: I did think about renting a cargo van and just stuff it like crazy.But it might mean I will drive alone. My husband refuses to drive-- he cannot stand driving for days. So. :-/ From Budget, cargo van only costs like ...200$ or something for five days of renting. Not bad.

webexplorer:: Mailing my desk? No thanks. I cannot imagine how much it costs after they weigh everything! YIKES. But still that is a good thought for stuff that we can mail (papers, books, some clothes).

I am thinking about renting a trailer but my car doesn't have a hitch. I have NO friends with big-ass trucks. This is San Diego! You are crazy to get a truck here...! (EXPENNNSIIIVEEE GAS)

The only "heavy" stuff we will haul is my drafting desk (which can be dismantled and be flat), and my cat's scratching post. The rest can be fitted in boxes, but I think a simple van or small trailer (if I find somebody's truck to borrow) will be best since it will only cost under 300$ (excluded the gas expenses, but I am sure everywhere else is cheaper than San Diego).
Will have to talk with hubby and see which he wants: to splurge more to avoid driving or to suffer and just drive to save money.

**Thanks for telling me about Alamo, Pensake, and Ryder-- more companies for me to check out. This is why I asked AllDeaf because I know there are more moving companies but I just couldn't remember the names.

And yes, I am moving from Southern California to Washington D.C. Metro area.

*And I only need something smaller than 12 footer truck. Serious. We do not have a lot of crap to bring. We plan to get everything in D.C. (we have no sentimental attachment to our 50$ couch, our 20$ springbox, and most of our stuff are actually borrowed from our relatives so it is time to give 'em back!).

Wow, you're moving from a metro area of almost 3 million to Washington DC metro of 8.1 million. It's gonna be real busy area there when you move there.

Good luck on your choice and deals when moving there. :)

Wow, you're moving from a metro area of almost 3 million to Washington DC metro of 8.1 million. It's gonna be real busy area there when you move there.

Good luck on your choice and deals when moving there. :)

I will prefer to move to NYC-- more people so it will be more easier for me to blend in. Nobody cares about you. Nobody bugs you. Perfect!
The population won't send me into a shock. The more, the merrier!
It will be the lack of beaches, lack of laidback people, and lack of diversity in jobs that shock me (everybody in DC works for either: education or government. Nothing else!).

(However the 8.1 million was skeptical but then you might factor in the surroudning areas such as Fredericks etc... the metro area only has about 5 million. Just want to clear this up. :) )

I will prefer to move to NYC-- more people so it will be more easier for me to blend in. Nobody cares about you. Nobody bugs you. Perfect!
The population won't send me into a shock. The more, the merrier!
It will be the lack of beaches, lack of laidback people, and lack of diversity in jobs that shock me (everybody in DC works for either: education or government. Nothing else!).

(However the 8.1 million was skeptical but then you might factor in the surroudning areas such as Fredericks etc... the metro area only has about 5 million. Just want to clear this up. :) )

I knew that, it's just a general metro area figure. I wasn't sure the actual metro area, so you said 5 million. :) The smaller, the more merrier for me in general. I'm not crazy about huge metro areas.

May I ask why you want to move there? Are you aware that D.C. has the highest crime in the nation? The gov't does not allowed most news to be printed because it needs international people come and buy something in the area.

I worked there for one year, and it was kinda of nice, but I definitely won't live there. I got off the subway from work and went on a bus to get home. In five minutes later, there was a shooting the exact place where I got off the subway. I would not be here to write this post. I didn't have my car at this time. The newspaper stated that a few people got hurt and one killed. The shooter was caught and sent to a prison. My family outside of the state does not know about the news.

How about living in Besthesda, MD? Or, outside of the D.C.?

May I ask why you want to move there? Are you aware that D.C. has the highest crime in the nation? The gov't does not allowed most news to be printed because it needs international people come and buy something in the area.

I worked there for one year, and it was kinda of nice, but I definitely won't live there. I got off the subway from work and went on a bus to get home. In five minutes later, there was a shooting the exact place where I got off the subway. I would not be here to write this post. I didn't have my car at this time. The newspaper stated that a few people got hurt and one killed. The shooter was caught and sent to a prison. My family outside of the state does not know about the news.

How about living in Besthesda, MD? Or, outside of the D.C.?

Gnarlydorkette did start a thread about the surrounding areas outside of DC. I assume she doesnt want to live in DC itself.

Bethesda is really nice. :)

We rented Penske and loved it! Their service is so friendly and prices are so reasonable. We'll rent Penske again if we move. But I hope not move again for a while! I hate moving! Too much work :lol:

Wish you best of luck!!!

Gnarlydorkette did start a thread about the surrounding areas outside of DC. I assume she doesnt want to live in DC itself.

Bethesda is really nice. :)

Oh, thank you for telling me. I am so tired from a food shopping today. It was a jam in a parking a lot and inside the store with full of people. I'm out of energy. I took a nap for about 40 minutes and then checked the posts on AD.

Oh, thank you for telling me. I am so tired from a food shopping today. It was a jam in a parking a lot and inside the store with full of people. I'm out of energy. I took a nap for about 40 minutes and then checked the posts on AD.

I know the feeling of being tired. I am so tired now that I could sleep on the street but I can't take naps due to taking care of kids and other stuff.

Anyways..to the topic..I rented an Uhaul when I moved from AZ to DC...never again cuz waaayyyy ttttooo expensive. It was in '99 and we spent $2,000 for the truck and gas. By today's standards that would be considered $4,000. Not only that, the truck broke down in the middle of our trip and then we got stuck in the remants of Hurrican Fran when she hit DC and the truck leaked getting our furniture wet. never again with U haul for cross country moving.

Good luck!

Way back in '94 or '95...we rented a Crew Cab (4 door) 24 footer truck....big big big ass truck..almost 35 feet in total length because of the crew cab.
Anyways..we rented it from Budget...we moved during Labor Day weekend and get this..we moved from KC Missouri to Northwest Arkansas. Budget was SUPER good to us...for truck to be picked up Friday morning....pack it up...drove down to Arkansas...then Saturday had new friends help unload it into storage since we were living with my Pops until we found a place. The truck sat in driveway Sunday and then Monday..had to drive truck to Tulsa, OKLA since no budget any where in Arkansas. Was a 200 mile trip.
We had to plan every mile strictly because Budget gave us 550 miles (250 from kc to dads place in ark...then 200 miles to Tulsa..so 50 miles play time) Price?? For Friday to Sunday it was only 178 dollars 1 way move. Damn cheap!!!!!

Then several years later..we moved back to KC area...wife's cowboy family all brought their big big f** ass horse trailers. Ahumm..hadda clean all the horse poop out real good and wash it out...loaded everything up in 2 horse trailers full..and moved in 1 day. Cost us nothing but a few beer packs. Yay!

Seriously...If you are very limited on money..I would either sell EVERYTHING and buy new since you are starting new life. New life..new things. Otherwise I would rent a trailer that your car CAN pull or rent truck and trailer to go 1 way.

Cheers

Pah

FINALLY my husband is convinced that driving cross-country is better and saves money (even saves time! most moving companies said it will take them 6 days just to transport, excluded the time we take to pack up and them to pick it up et cetera... JESUS!)

So now we are trying to figure out which route is the best. Many folks told us to AVOID Texas at any costs... is it really THAT bad?

OPTIONS:
1) Go north on 5 to Sacramento, then take the 80 all way to Salt Lake City, then the 74 to Indiana then swtitch to 70 which will take us to D.C.

2) 15 north to Las Vegas and Utah, then take the 70 all way to Illnois where I should take 64 (in St Louis, it appears) which will turn into 79 along the way and land us in D.C.

3) 15 north, stop in Victorville and take the 40 which will go through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas (the short distance of Texas-- in the "stack" of the state), and change to the 44 in Oklahoma City, which will take us to St Louis and there we will take 64 which will turn into 70 and bam-- D.C.!

4) 15 north to Victorville, take 40 (same as above), and just keep going past Oklahoma and then in Tennessee take the 81 which will go to VA and Maryland and there will be some small highways leading to D.C.

WHICH ROUTE IS BETTER??? We are not going to sight-see so we will just floor it all the way. We will sight-see on our way back home to San Diego in four years...

Somebody told us that we should take the most flattest route so we should go northward to Sacramento and cut it across the America's Midwest and land in D.C. with no problems.

FINALLY my husband is convinced that driving cross-country is better and saves money (even saves time! most moving companies said it will take them 6 days just to transport, excluded the time we take to pack up and them to pick it up et cetera... JESUS!)

So now we are trying to figure out which route is the best. Many folks told us to AVOID Texas at any costs... is it really THAT bad?

OPTIONS:
1) Go north on 5 to Sacramento, then take the 80 all way to Salt Lake City, then the 74 to Indiana then swtitch to 70 which will take us to D.C.

2) 15 north to Las Vegas and Utah, then take the 70 all way to Illnois where I should take 64 (in St Louis, it appears) which will turn into 79 along the way and land us in D.C.

3) 15 north, stop in Victorville and take the 40 which will go through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas (the short distance of Texas-- in the "stack" of the state), and change to the 44 in Oklahoma City, which will take us to St Louis and there we will take 64 which will turn into 70 and bam-- D.C.!

4) 15 north to Victorville, take 40 (same as above), and just keep going past Oklahoma and then in Tennessee take the 81 which will go to VA and Maryland and there will be some small highways leading to D.C.

WHICH ROUTE IS BETTER??? We are not going to sight-see so we will just floor it all the way. We will sight-see on our way back home to San Diego in four years...

Somebody told us that we should take the most flattest route so we should go northward to Sacramento and cut it across the America's Midwest and land in D.C. with no problems.

What's wrong with Texas?

OPTIONS:

I agree with the flattest route and I dont know why avoiding Texas is a must. Sure it is a BORING drive thru Texas but I think it is cost effective as far as gas is concerned. I have made 3 cross-country road trips and that one u just described is the best as far as keeping gas costs low. Dont want to go thru Colorado..high mountains and steep drives.

I wouldnt go thru Midwest due to mountains...my brother took that way and he said too many winding roads and time consuming but BEAUTIFUL though. Up to u.

I would recommend Penske, reason? I have checked every possible companies, U-haul is one of most expensive and most rip-offs. What I like the most about Penske is that they're the ONLY one that offers unlimited mileage! the rest, will allow you this x amount of miles, and if you go over, there is a fee of .75 per mile and image, how much it could add up if you ever gone over the mileage? They have estimate the x miles based on the shortest possible route from one rental center to another. So, check this out before you sign the form. Often these mileage limitation is in the fine print note, hard to read but it is there! So, WATCH. :)

Back