School for the health care careers

abmom

Reaction score
Hi, can you help me on this since you're part of the forum discussions better than me, I'm new here. I'm a hearing impaired and I use the sign and oral too. So, here's what I am asking you, anyone who works in the heath field that you're deaf or HH, what got you to start with going to school or job training with VR? How well did you work with people by communicating or signing? The reason why I am asking, is that I'm interested in taking the course and become a health care assistance that does all in one that requires the work for the deaf/HH people. How do I get this started, like will VR help or what? Any input you have would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

:welcome:

I can't answer your question but someone else probably can. Give it some time for replies. :wave:

We have quite a few people in healthcare, but they haven't been around for a while. Maybe one will show up and help you out. :)

I can't help you much because I'm British and don't know the procedure for getting accepted on courses in the US. However, I'm training to be a mental health nurse and started out by doing an Access course at my local college. I'm now at uni and have had a lot of help from the uni's disability officers. Maybe you could find out if there are disability officers at the college you plan to go to, they might be able to advise you.

Good luck with getting on your course.

if it any help, I used to be a nurse aide.

most of the time, nurse aids have to take calls (And tell them to call back if necessary if it is for the nurses who are away tending the patients/residents).I made it clear that I can't take calls. And I couldn't use a stethoscope to take blood pressure. they were very against using a digital blood pressure reading because they think it is not accurate and many residents where I worked were near their death so that's why they needed accurate reading.. but in my case, they decided to let me use it and since we change floor, the digital reading will balance itself out with manual reading. As long as you have the whole medical team working together as a team, The residents will be safe, your deafness will not be a problem.

Depending on your level of hearing loss, there are special stethoscopes for people with hearing loss.

Here's an explanation:

http://www.amphl.org/stethoscopes.php

This is a link to the Association of Medical Professionals With Hearing Losses. You might find info and resources there.

I'm allowed to use a digital blood pressure meter. I have an amplified stethoscope, provided by Disabled Students Allowance, which works with my HAs and Smartlink radio aid, but I can't really hear it well. Also when I'm on placements I tell my mentors that I can't hear well on the phone and they are usually OK about it, although some tend to forget and ask me to answer it, if so I immediately pass it over to someone who can hear it.

Wow, looks like everyone you can do it than I can imgaine how hard that can do for them, I know that I possibly can do it myself too but I need some advices on how you got through the exams and etc.....was that expensive to enroll the class? Were you avodcated the college by VR? I know I have many questions to ask, like I said I want to step out of the house to do it so, I need to know what I have to do from what you have done and got your degree. So, other than that I want to know anyone of you that is hired to work at the health center, how did your interview look like and was that hard to get a job?

Keep this coming, I like to read what your comments are and then I want to keep this to show everyone that there is really something to believe about, because you know how that is when people are having their puzzles that the deaf can't make the meets for the nurse careers.

I am allowed to use a digital voice recorder to record lectures. I find to hard to make notes because I have to concentrate on watching the lecturer. When I get home I put the lectures on to my lap-top and listen to them with my radio aid. Depending on your hearing loss this may help you too. In exams you are allowed extra time. I'm sure you would be allowed concessions too.

Hi, can you help me on this since you're part of the forum discussions better than me, I'm new here. I'm a hearing impaired and I use the sign and oral too. So, here's what I am asking you, anyone who works in the heath field that you're deaf or HH, what got you to start with going to school or job training with VR? How well did you work with people by communicating or signing? The reason why I am asking, is that I'm interested in taking the course and become a health care assistance that does all in one that requires the work for the deaf/HH people. How do I get this started, like will VR help or what? Any input you have would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Yes the VR will help. Be aware that the VR may have a wait list.
Do all the normal stuff, interpreters and such. You'll be fine.

I don't work in that field but a close friend does. He is deaf but can speak well.

I am aware of what is out there and the trouble that another Deaf person is having in obtaining employment in the field locally.

The questions asked earlier, I need to address personally. How did you talk with the potential employers. Correct me, I will need to address how you will communicate, how you will respond to the alarms, how you will be able to do this in your area. Employers will not give you a chance if they cannot see how you work and how you address problems

What I am trying to achieve, a goal oriented decision that I will be able to do for years to come. Help me with that if we address the barriers that are likely to keep achieving that goals in the health careers.

Last edited:
I don't know how it will work, but are people allow to be educated anything they want even they don't ever plan on making a career out of it?
I wonder if colleges will refuse to let you take nursing field courses if you want to learn but have no intention to become a nurse? I think everyone should have that rights.

Last edited:
Back