School Captions

Josh Schultz

Reaction score
Hello all. I was wondering, how was your closed captioning at schools you went to. In college or high school or below. Did you ever have a class where they couldn't get you interpreter? What happen? How do your school usually give closed caption? Is there anything that can be better?
And would you prefer automatic closed caption you view on a website?

Do you like the idea of all teachers wear a microphone and all you need to do is open a website and view captions live?
And you can type question to the teacher so they see?

Hello all. I was wondering, how was your closed captioning at schools you went to. In college or high school or below. Did you ever have a class where they couldn't get you interpreter? What happen? How do your school usually give closed caption? Is there anything that can be better?
And would you prefer automatic closed caption you view on a website?

Do you like the idea of all teachers wear a microphone and all you need to do is open a website and view captions live?
And you can type question to the teacher so they see?
One time I had a court reporter or CART(Communication Access Real Time) for a math class and it worked out very well. As long as the court reporter is a good typist and I had a laptop in front of me to read what was going on in the class. Another time when sign language interpreters was not available I had a skype set up with a captioner and I was able to follow the teacher but of course the internet kept disconnecting. This was a while ago when it happen.

I am assuming you speaking of webcaptioner.com? I saw it and it looked cool. I haven't tried that in real life class though. I have used google Live Transcribe app in a small casual art class setting where the speaker was very loud and it picked up really good. It's not perfect though. I would need to try a microphone to see if it works.

I also had student note takers since I was watching the sign language interpreter and it's hard to write notes and watch the same time. So having extra notes is helpful. Another idea is to see if your teacher can send you lecture slides or allow you to record his lecture either video or sound and then have it transcribe it so just another way. But depends on teacher/professor since some don't like to be recorded.

It just depends on the college and the available of interpreter/resources they have. The more deaf/hoh area it is they more services they might have. So if you're near a Deaf school or a college they might have more resources available. At least that's what my experience was so far. Now with new tech things might be a bit different now.

One time I had a court reporter or CART(Communication Access Real Time) for a math class and it worked out very well. As long as the court reporter is a good typist and I had a laptop in front of me to read what was going on in the class. Another time when sign language interpreters was not available I had a skype set up with a captioner and I was able to follow the teacher but of course the internet kept disconnecting. This was a while ago when it happen.

I am assuming you speaking of webcaptioner.com? I saw it and it looked cool. I haven't tried that in real life class though. I have used google Live Transcribe app in a small casual art class setting where the speaker was very loud and it picked up really good. It's not perfect though. I would need to try a microphone to see if it works.

I also had student note takers since I was watching the sign language interpreter and it's hard to write notes and watch the same time. So having extra notes is helpful. Another idea is to see if your teacher can send you lecture slides or allow you to record his lecture either video or sound and then have it transcribe it so just another way. But depends on teacher/professor since some don't like to be recorded.

It just depends on the college and the available of interpreter/resources they have. The more deaf/hoh area it is they more services they might have. So if you're near a Deaf school or a college they might have more resources available. At least that's what my experience was so far. Now with new tech things might be a bit different now.

Thank you very much for the response this is all very useful information.

yes something like webcaptioner.com but maybe a little more cleaned up

No closed caption in college. Not with what I was working inside IT etc for a couple of years.

The first year they provided a interpreter until I learned the voices of teachers, staff and so on. Once I had that there was no trouble. As always I worked pretty hard to stay ahead of everyone as the situation evolved in class or labwork. There were a few who learned signs from me but would not be what I would call good in ASL. Not unless they really immersed themselves into the language.

College for me and spouse in those days was worthless because 10,000 graduated with the same 4 year degree in my state and only about 900 would be hired any given year. I stopped going and cut losses after India overseas sent Students on H1B to Arkansas to learn what I was learning in our own datacenters at that time. So... tossed it and went on my way. We paid off uncle sam after a time, only oh about 50,000 dollars including interest. Poof. All gone.

Last edited:
I had the same question.

I am thinking to go back to school and I don't know what to do when professors speak with their masks covering their lips.

I was wondering if Live Transcribe is helpful.

I tried to download it on my lap-top, but to no avail.

Does anyone know what's the best option? Is it possible to get a tablet or a small lap-top and transcribe everything students and professor say?

Thank you so much.

When I was going to a community college I went to the disability center. They said I can hire a note taker but they won’t provide one. That I can buy a word to text program and laptop if I wanted that option. I was also granted more time on written test in case I need more time reading.
They were not very accommodating which I think is funny because I live in a town with the only deaf school in the state. So they know a lot of these kids will be going to the community college before going to uni.

There's a great new captioning tool: webcaptioner.com

This is like Live Transcribe except it works on big-screen televisions -- connect your laptop to any big screen.
You simply open the website on a laptop and it will automatically caption everything that goes into the computer's microphone!

It's pretty neat -- free too -- although it only works in the Chrome web browser.

It's a good idea to buy a better microphone (and connect it to your laptop), but it works okay with most laptop microphones in a quiet room.

Now, we have 3 excellent free speech transcribe tools now:
- Live Transcribe (for Android)
- Otter.ai (for iPhone & Android)
- WebCaptioner (for when you need big screen captions for free)

This is from an old thread from 2.5.2020, hope it helps. WebCaptioner, in the forum it's from had a video that looked like it could be useful.

Back