"S" on license in Texas (Austin)

Irish

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I apologize if this is not in the correct forum.

I just moved to Austin, TX. I surrendered my driver's license in Pennsylvania today and got a temporary Texas driver's license. During the whole process today, there was some confusion over whether to put "S" on my driver's license for hearing aid or rearview mirror. They ended up putting "S" even though I told them my deafness was NOT relevant to driving safely and that I had absolutely no problems communicating with a peace officer when I was pulled over twice in Pennsylvania. I informed them that Pennsylvania does not put anything on my records regarding my deafness. I also voiced my concerns about possibly facing discrimination.

I came home to ask my roommates (they are deaf) if they had "S" on their driver's license. They both told me no. We suspect I may have been unfairly profiled today.

I was just wondering - am I right to feel outraged over that "S" on my license, when other deaf people apparently do not have "S" on their driver's licenses in Texas? Is there anything I should do besides file a complaint within the DMV? Does anyone else here live in Austin, and do you have "S" on your driver's license if you have one?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you may have.

I used to live in Austin but now am in San Antonio. I have S restriction also but it is not much of restriction. If you look on back, all it says is outside mirror or hearing aids required.

It doesn't bother me at all since I am deaf after all.

Other nice thing about it is it does inform police you are deaf so they know they can't just speak with you like hearing but to face you when speaking or write with pen and paper.

All cars have the outside mirrors anyways.

I just don't understand why I was forced to get a "S" on my driver's license despite me explaining that while yes, I do have hearing aids, I do not use them. They definitely won't help me in a conversation with a peace officer. And I'm a bit annoyed that I have to get this whereas I know multiple deaf people who have Texas driver's licenses but were not required to get a "S". How is that fair at all?

I just really don't want to get profiled, or possibly face any discrimination of any kind in the future if someone realizes that I have a "S" on my driver's license. Maybe I'm being paranoid, I dunno. But I really do not want anything on my record. In Pennsylvania, there is nothing to indicate my deafness... I was never given any restrictions other than corrective glasses or contacts, which I do wear due to being near sighted.

Well, did you feel profiled when you had the restriction requiring corrective lenses?

No, but I don't think it is the same thing. It's very common for people to have glasses or contacts. They are actually essential to driving whereas hearing aids are not essential. It's not that common for people to be deaf. I also feel that the restriction is outdated since most vehicles are manufactured with rearview and side mirrors nowadays.

I had a very loud motorcycle in highschool. There was a train crossing on a small back road by my house and I almost got clocked by the train once because there was no light. They just slow down and toot the horn.

Not saying one way or the other but there are some sound cues like sirens, horns and the occasional screaming.

Just me but seems to me you are probably over thinking it. I don't know if the S indicator is a new thing in Austin or not. If it's not, it sounds like not all DMV employees are aware of that requirement to add onto the license thus why some deaf don't have it on their license.

I wouldn't care- it may in fact be a positive aid when/if I got stopped in letting the police know to be aware. AND in fact if there is a problem and they 'claim' to not have known of my deafness, can point to the license and say well it's right there in black and white.

Texas isn't the only place- there's a few other states who have similar restrictions-
Illinois is Type F-
http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/092/092010300000920R.html

In Missouri it is J88 though there you can ask to have it added (or not)
http://dor.mo.gov/pdf/Chapter1.pdf (page 10)

West Virginia has a lil symbol for deaf that can be added at request
http://www.transportation.wv.gov/dmv/Manuals/Documents/Manuals/2013-Drivers-Handbook.pdf

Trying to find info on Texas but in a hurry.

If judging by other states in that drivers can ask or omit the indicator, it sounds like whoever you met with in the DMV either had no clue what they were talking about or took the guidelines as a firm "Yes you MUST have it on there" rule.

I disagree with "it's not that common for people to be deaf"- there are all kinds of people who fall under that term.

The wording of the regulations may be outdated (with the exception of antique cars- there's still a lot of those out there), I don't see anything wrong with some sort of indication.

I wouldn't be outraged but if concerned then yes send feedback to the DMV and indicate where you went. Maybe they'll be nice and re issue your license...

Just me but seems to me you are probably over thinking it. I don't know if the S indicator is a new thing in Austin or not. If it's not, it sounds like not all DMV employees are aware of that requirement to add onto the license thus why some deaf don't have it on their license.

I wouldn't care- it may in fact be a positive aid when/if I got stopped in letting the police know to be aware. AND in fact if there is a problem and they 'claim' to not have known of my deafness, can point to the license and say well it's right there in black and white.

Texas isn't the only place- there's a few other states who have similar restrictions-
Illinois is Type F-
http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/092/092010300000920R.html

In Missouri it is J88 though there you can ask to have it added (or not)
http://dor.mo.gov/pdf/Chapter1.pdf (page 10)

West Virginia has a lil symbol for deaf that can be added at request
http://www.transportation.wv.gov/dmv/Manuals/Documents/Manuals/2013-Drivers-Handbook.pdf

Trying to find info on Texas but in a hurry.

If judging by other states in that drivers can ask or omit the indicator, it sounds like whoever you met with in the DMV either had no clue what they were talking about or took the guidelines as a firm "Yes you MUST have it on there" rule.

I disagree with "it's not that common for people to be deaf"- there are all kinds of people who fall under that term.

The wording of the regulations may be outdated (with the exception of antique cars- there's still a lot of those out there), I don't see anything wrong with some sort of indication.

I wouldn't be outraged but if concerned then yes send feedback to the DMV and indicate where you went. Maybe they'll be nice and re issue your license...

In Illinois besides the "F" restriction (which is the outside mirrors for a number of different reasons) mentioned above "J88" can be requested. It is as follows:

“J88” — Deaf/Hard of Hearing Driverʼs License
“J88” is a notation on a driver’s license that alerts law enforcement officers before approaching a
vehicle that a motorist is deaf or hard of hearing. Following is how the “J88” notation works:
• Request the “J88” notation be added to your driver’s license at any Secretary of State Driver
Services facility. “J88” will appear on both the front and back of your driver’s license.
• Include your driver’s license number on your vehicle registration to link the two together.
• If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer, he/she will run your license plate or driver’s
license number, and a “Deaf/Hard of Hearing: Uses Alternative Communication” message will
appear. The officer will then know to use alternative communication.
• You must request the “J88” notation. No forms or Secretary of State personnel will ask you to
include it on your driver’s license.

Thanks for clearing everything up, Deafducky and Jane. That does help me feel better about the issue at hand.

I dont have any restrictions, but I did ask them to mark my license with J88 so the officers would know Im deaf. No biggie, its nothing really. Im in missouri.

In Alabama, deaf people get I and J on restriction (L/R mirrors and hearing impaired).

Sadly, I can't drive anymore due to Usher Syndrome. :mad: :(

My Ohio driver license is BF3. Restrictions: B-Corrective Lenses, F3-In/Dual Out Mirror.

I'm Texans and it's no big deal. Cop usually don't know about it.

Ha, don't worry about it, Irish. I'm deaf and I don't have "S" on my Texas driver's license. If I do, it didn't bother me. I do have "A" on it. I can't drive without my contacts or glasses. In San Antonio, a cop stopped me and asked me for my driver's license. I let him know I am deaf. I had never had any problem with him. Actually, he did a great job by pointing his name tag and his police logo on his shoulder to let me know who he is. He didn't say anything about "S" on my driver's license. He let me go and everything was fine.

don't one licence do for same country

In the US driver's licenses are issued by the individual states. But . . . if you have one issued by any of the states you can drive in all the others. What it takes to get a license varies from state to state.

Caz, part of why this is hard to understand may come from the difference in size of the UK and the US. If you get a chance to look at two maps (one for each country) side by side that use the same scale for distance it may help.

I don't think the 'size' of the country matters really. As near as I can tell from a quick google, Russia has one driver's license for the entire country unlike the US where we have 50 different versions of a driver's license.

I don't think the 'size' of the country matters really. As near as I can tell from a quick google, Russia has one driver's license for the entire country unlike the US where we have 50 different versions of a driver's license.
It's definitely not size but government structure that determines how licenses are issued. In the US, states retain a lot of legal power to be different from the Federal government. Stuff like drinking age, drug laws, licenses, taxation, business laws, marriage, etc. etc.

Back