Rocky Mountain Deaf School??

I was the alphabet kid.

Had every diagnosis you could think of in the book. One year it's this, then the next year it's "no, no, no, no... we ruled that out... it's THIS," then the year after it would be "we were wrong, it was that like we originally thought." I feel sorry for mom for dealing with all that.

So do I. :eek:

I was the alphabet kid.

Had every diagnosis you could think of in the book. One year it's this, then the next year it's "no, no, no, no... we ruled that out... it's THIS," then the year after it would be "we were wrong, it was that like we originally thought." I feel sorry for mom for dealing with all that.

That frustrates me when that happens to a child, it messes with them-- being told you have this and this but wait not really that... geez

He's age appropreate in two areas? YEAH!!!!!! That's awesome news! :D
It's possible he may only have a significent learning disabilty developmental delay rather then an intellectucal developmental delay. Do you know what I mean? Glad he's doing so well!
Ooooooo.... I just thought of something. Have you taken him to a place like United Cerebal Palsy for an educational evalution? They might have some good ideas/resouces/reccomendations/playgroups etc.
I know he doesn't exactly have CP, but it's a close enough match. Also, they may have tools/accomondations etc to help Adam... and you might be able to hook up with other kids who use ASL as a first language due to apraxia/learning disablities/whatever

He's age appropreate in two areas? YEAH!!!!!! That's awesome news! :D
It's possible he may only have a significent learning disabilty developmental delay rather then an intellectucal developmental delay. Do you know what I mean? Glad he's doing so well!
Ooooooo.... I just thought of something. Have you taken him to a place like United Cerebal Palsy for an educational evalution? They might have some good ideas/resouces/reccomendations/playgroups etc.
I know he doesn't exactly have CP, but it's a close enough match. Also, they may have tools/accomondations etc to help Adam... and you might be able to hook up with other kids who use ASL as a first language due to apraxia/learning disablities/whatever

yep he ranked Age appropriate in TWO areas... I admit it, I cried!! :D ya know we thought he had CP at first, or had a prenatal/neonatal stroke... but it's just that ole CMV... I totally understand what you mean, in no way do I think he's 'intellectually disabled' (although his gene pool isnt that great) He's too cunning and clever for that!!! He just has to learn in his own way-- I'll talk to his OT about the CP accommodations and see what she says-- we're discussing a soft splint on that right hand to help it-- especially for 2 handed signs!!!

He sounds like such a sweet kid! :)

Thank you AlleyCat, I might be partial but I sure think he is-- :D

I do think if you get appropreate accomondations and the appropreate tools for Adam, he could end up doing AWESOME!!!!! I do think that a HUGE part of the reason for "underacheivement" with kids with classic special needs, is that a) We tend to be educated in the "one size fits all" model of a public school. Very rarely do we get specialized education or even a formal specialized program (and then that's usually for preschool) and b) we're so hyperfocused on making sure people with disabilites function as "healthy normal" :roll: that we don't realize that more specialized methodologies could help them really acheive.
For example, a kid with mild CP might be able to manually write. They COULD do it, but it takes a LOT of effort and energy. So they have to expend all their energy on moving the pencil. Whereas if they had keyboarding skills, they could learn to write really fast, and concentrate on actually producing CONTENT!

I do think if you get appropreate accomondations and the appropreate tools for Adam, he could end up doing AWESOME!!!!! I do think that a HUGE part of the reason for "underacheivement" with kids with classic special needs, is that a) We tend to be educated in the "one size fits all" model of a public school. Very rarely do we get specialized education or even a formal specialized program (and then that's usually for preschool) and b) we're so hyperfocused on making sure people with disabilites function as "healthy normal" :roll: that we don't realize that more specialized methodologies could help them really acheive.
For example, a kid with mild CP might be able to manually write. They COULD do it, but it takes a LOT of effort and energy. So they have to expend all their energy on moving the pencil. Whereas if they had keyboarding skills, they could learn to write really fast, and concentrate on actually producing CONTENT!

Thank you I agree!!!

I also agree w/the rest of your statement- I've witnessed it personally...

Oh, and I just wanted to say that thank GOD you learned from your brother's experiance in the mainstream. I do think many hearing parents are REALLY uninformed about how FRUSTRATING it is to get appropreaite services at a mainstream school. It IS a fact that most mainstream teachers, including special ed teachers have minimal training on how to teach/accomondate kids with classic disabilites. If a kid doesn't respond well to a minimal accomondations approach, they get DUMPED in the Resource Room. (which unfortunatly tends to be a dumping ground. Not all kids in there are there b/c its a dumping ground....but quite a few are :roll:)
Some parents have this fanasty that inclusion means that the kid will have a "normal" experiance. I'm sorry, but just b/c you put a kid in a mainstream classroom, it doesn't mean that they'll get treated the same as the nondisabled kids. :mad:

Back