Rita's Coming for a Visit

Eve

Reaction score
Several of my family members are currently in the process of evacuation from the gulf coast in Texas. Many are fleeing inland and will be staying with other family members. My mom is taking in one family, my brother is taking in one, and my uncle will be taking in another.

I would like to thank several of you here for distracting my mind from this by providing me with limitless entertainment in the form of combat.

Yep, I had some few friends who live there and they are evacuatin' to move on north. I am still contactin' them through emails/AIM. Hope everythin' goes well with families, friends and pets - may it be some lesson learned from Katrina before Rita.

You are in my thoughts and prayer as well. ;)

Thankfully, Texans are smart enough to get the hell outta the way.

We learned our lesson long before Katrina was even a thought.

Eve said:
:werd: Camille should have given New Orleans enough experience to leave before the storm comes. In 1900 a hurricane hit Galvaston TX & killed thousands...

Eve said:
:werd: same with florida people down there. they know what to do before hurricanes come for the visits.

deafclimber said:
:werd: same with florida people down there. they know what to do before hurricanes come for the visits.

Damn straight we do! Rita paid me a visit as a strong cat 1, low cat 2. It didn't cause devestation, but it wasn't pretty, either. I went to my sister's and got out of harm's way!

Floridians aren't stupid.

Eve said:
Several of my family members are currently in the process of evacuation from the gulf coast in Texas. Many are fleeing inland and will be staying with other family members. My mom is taking in one family, my brother is taking in one, and my uncle will be taking in another.

I would like to thank several of you here for distracting my mind from this by providing me with limitless entertainment in the form of combat.

Hey Eve,

As someone who really knows what these things can do (even the lower intensity storms), I wanted you to know that I'm really thinking about you and your family. I honestly hope all will be safe!

I'm sorry I couldn't contribute to the diversions, but alas, I was also dealing with Rita, so I had to get outta dodge myself! However, I'm baaaaaaaaack, so, lets get this party started, shall we? :mrgreen:

I'm sorry I couldn't contribute to the diversions, but alas, I was also dealing with Rita, so I had to get outta dodge myself! However, I'm baaaaaaaaack, so, lets get this party started, shall we?
The more the merrier :D

CyberRed said:
Yep, I had some few friends who live there and they are evacuatin' to move on north. I am still contactin' them through emails/AIM. Hope everythin' goes well with families, friends and pets - may it be some lesson learned from Katrina before Rita.

You are in my thoughts and prayer as well. ;)

Thanx cyberred for ur thoughtful and prayer, I'm one of evacuee to escape to north. The weather now is very humid and hot. Thousands of cars are moving very slow. I assume we will arrive to safe area at midnight. Now it is 1:30 pm. We will survived! We won't let rita beat us. Thanks AD for your thoughtful and prayers.

Moondancer,
That you living in TX.. Now you're in way evacuee.... *goosebumps* I'm glad you're safe place where you staying... as long when Rita is finished...

Are you owner of house ? I hope your home not get mess or worst.. whatever.. Does insurance will coverage for your home ?

yeah it good idea to comfort others when they are worry about their loved ones in the area that it going to hit soon. As far as I know the area that I am living is in the path of hurricane rita however I live far away (in North Texas) will probably get tropical storm if the path or hurricane doesnt change over the weekend.

Just be sure to remind your loveds one to prepared everything such as important papers and other things. I suggest that they should put a emergency bracket on children with their name, parents name, family relatives in case they get separated to avoid that unlike that happen in New orleans.

Moondancer said:
Thanx cyberred for ur thoughtful and prayer, I'm one of evacuee to escape to north. The weather now is very humid and hot. Thousands of cars are moving very slow. I assume we will arrive to safe area at midnight. Now it is 1:30 pm. We will survived! We won't let rita beat us. Thanks AD for your thoughtful and prayers.

Merci and your very much welcome, hon ! You know where to find me, if you need me. ;)
(Psst.. can't wait to leave Iowa in the spring of 2006 ~ :fruit: )

whew, texas is hellacious right now. chaos everywhere!
My mother called me this morning and said she had just passed the bus fire that killed 26 elderly people evacuating from houston/galveston area.
Then, I got a call from a friend up here whose brother was stranded on I-45 14 miles south of Huntsville because his car ran out of gas and all the gas stations are empty. I just spent the last hour or so calling Highway Dept. and Sherriff to get help sent out to him. Luckily the minister of a nearby church came by and gave him enough gas to get to the next town to meet his wife. They said it is just crazy with people trying to flee Rita's path.

The Highway Patrol is encouraging anyone stuck on the side of the road to put their hoods up on their cars so that a tanker truck can come by and give them enough fuel to get into the next town.

Eve said:
Thankfully, Texans are smart enough to get the hell outta the way.
Here's one of several articles:

No Way Out: Many Poor Stuck in Houston

HOUSTON — Wilma Skinner would like to scream at the officials of this city. If only they would pick up their phones.

"I done called for a shelter, I done called for help. There ain't none. No one answers," she said, standing in blistering heat outside a check-cashing store that had just run out of its main commodity. "Everyone just says, 'Get out, get out.' I've got no way of getting out. And now I've got no money."

With Hurricane Rita breathing down Houston's neck, those with cars were stuck in gridlock trying to get out. Those like Skinner — poor, and with a broken-down car — were simply stuck, and fuming at being abandoned, they say.

"All the banks are closed and I just got off work," said Thomas Visor, holding his sweaty paycheck as he, too, tried to get inside the store, where more than 100 people, all of them black or Hispanic, fretted in line. "This is crazy. How are you supposed to evacuate a hurricane if you don't have money? Answer me that?"

Some of those who did have money, and did try to get out, didn't get very far.

Judie Anderson of La Porte, Texas, covered just 45 miles in 12 hours. She had been on the road since 10 p.m. Wednesday, headed toward Oklahoma, which by Thursday was still very far away.

"This is the worst planning I've ever seen," she said. "They say, 'We've learned a lot from Hurricane Katrina.' Well, you couldn't prove it by me."

On Bellaire Boulevard in southwest Houston, a weeping woman and her young daughter stood on the sidewalk, surrounded by plastic bags full of clothes and blankets. "I'd like to go, but nobody come get me," the woman said in broken English. When asked her name, she looked frightened. "No se, no se," she said: Spanish for "I don't know."

Her daughter, who appeared to be about 9, whispered in English, "We're from Mexico."

Census figures show Harris County had 3.6 million people in 2004, of whom 14.7 percent lived below the poverty level while 8.7 percent of households lacked a vehicle, both percentages slightly higher than national figures. More than one-third spoke a language other than English at home.

For the poor and the disenfranchised, the mighty evacuation orders that preceded Rita were something they could only ignore.

Eddie McKinney, 64, who had no home, no teeth and a torn shirt, stood outside the EZ Pawn shop, drinking a beer under a sign that said, "No Loitering."

"We got no other choice but to stay here. We're homeless and we're broke," he said. "I thought about going to Dallas, but now it's too late. I got no way to get there."

Where will he stay?

"A nice white man gave me a motel room for three days. Just walked up and said, 'Here.' So my buddy and me will stick it out," he said, pointing to another homeless man. "We got a half-gallon of whiskey and a room."

In Deer Park, a working-class suburb of refineries south of Houston, Stacy and Troy Curtis, waited for help outside the police station. Less than three weeks ago, the couple left New Orleans after it was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.

With no vehicle, and little money, they tried to get their lives together while staying at a hotel in Deer Park. Stacy Curtis, a nursing assistant in New Orleans, had a job interview scheduled for Thursday.

But most businesses had shut down because the neighborhood will likely flood if the hurricane hits Galveston Bay. The streets were empty Thursday afternoon.

"We're stuck here," Stacy Curtis said. "Got no other place to go."

An emergency official eventually sent a van to take the couple to a shelter at a recreation center.

Monica Holmes, who has debilitating lupus, sat in her car at a Houston gas station that had no gas. "We can't go nowhere," she said, tapping a fingernail against the dashboard fuel gauge. "Look here," she said. "I'm right on E."

Her husband, a security guard, had a paycheck, but no way to cash it.

"We were going to try to go to Nacogdoches" in east Texas, not far from the Louisiana border, she said. "But even if we could get on the road, we're not going to get out. These people that left yesterday, they're still on the beltway. They haven't even got out of Houston."

So she and her husband will hunker down in their Missouri City home, just to the south. "We'll be fine," she said. "You can't be scared of what God can do. I'm covered."

As always, there were those who chose to stay, no matter how dire the warnings.

John Benson, a 47-year-old surfer and lifelong Galveston resident, said he thinks his town "is going to take on a lot of water. But as far as the winds, I think here on the island, it will be a little bit less than they anticipated."

Mandatory evacuation orders were issued Wednesday for the area.

Benson said he planned to use his surfboard as transportation after the hurricane. "The main thing is you have a contingency plan," he said, and thumped his board. "You got buoyancy."

Skinner, accompanied by her 6-year-old grandson, Dageneral Bellard, would settle for a bus.

"They got them for the outlying areas, for the Gulf and Galveston, but they ain't made no preparations for us in the city, for the poor people here. There ain't no (evacuation) buses here. I got nowhere to go."

___

EDITOR'S NOTE — Associated Press writers Pam Easton in Galveston and Tim Whitmire in Deer Park contributed to this report.

Source: No Way Out: Many Poor Stuck in Houston

Same old problem (New Orleans). Frankly, what I see is not a question of stupidity or common sense. It is something else like 'Haves' and 'Have-nots' or money issues.

Sorry Magatsu, but that is a line of horse shit. They have been using helicopters, buses, planes, carpooling, everything. If those dumbasses chose not to go when the transportation was provided for them DAYS ago, they have no right to complain now that it has gotten to the point where transportation can't be safely and effectively acquired (now that the hurricane has hit). They had information all over the news regarding transport out of the city for days now. They even went door to door and using public announcement systems broadcasting down every street. There are no more excuses! And the reason the authorities aren't answering their phones is because they are over run with idiots who chose not to get the heck out of dodge. Some people are so stupid, they didn't seem to learn from Katrina and are trying to pull the same "I can't go anywhere cuz I'm poor" excuse. Well, it doesn't apply here. They used the school buses. They did their part. Hell, they are even sending tanker trucks down the highway to provide gas for those who were unprepared. The authorities have done everything they can, and if those imbeciles chose not to comply then that is their own fault and they will have to suffer the consequences for their LACK of action.

"We got no other choice but to stay here. We're homeless and we're broke," he said. "I thought about going to Dallas, but now it's too late. I got no way to get there."
Speaks for itself.

Monica Holmes, who has debilitating lupus, sat in her car at a Houston gas station that had no gas. "We can't go nowhere," she said, tapping a fingernail against the dashboard fuel gauge. "Look here," she said. "I'm right on E."
Should have filled up on Wednesday when the evacuation orders were issued. Plus, the tankers have been going around providing free gas, so this one is out of excuses too.

As always, there were those who chose to stay, no matter how dire the warnings.
Then they get what they asked for.

Mandatory evacuation orders were issued Wednesday for the area.
How much notice do you need to get out? They knew at the beginning of the week that this one was gonna be a doozy. They had plenty of time to make preparation and chose not to until it was too late. You can’t wait till the last minute and expect everything to just fall in place smoothly.

Benson said he planned to use his surfboard as transportation after the hurricane. "The main thing is you have a contingency plan," he said, and thumped his board. "You got buoyancy."
I think this guy got hit on the head a few too many times by his surf board.

"They got them for the outlying areas, for the Gulf and Galveston, but they ain't made no preparations for us in the city, for the poor people here. There ain't no (evacuation) buses here. I got nowhere to go."
I can’t believe they publish out-in-out LIES like this. *stunned* My brother is hosting a family from Houston who came out on a bus from the city.

Before you go saying how insensitive I am….THESE ARE MY FOLKS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. I love em, but some of em are dumb as dirt.

Hmmm okay. Honest with you, I don't know much about these in Texas so I guess that I'm in no position to argue with you and you may be right as well.

Anyway, hope all is well with you, your family and your relatives in these areas.

I just re read my post and I feel I was overly harsh with you Magatsu. I'm sorry. I know you mean well and I shouldn't jump down your throat over my own frustrations. Please accept my apology, I will try not to do that again. And thank you for your concern :)

Back