RIP Windows XP

Microsoft has a good antivirus program for free that I use: MSE. Microsoft Security Essentials. Now I am looking into protecting myself from spyware and adware. Not sure which to use. Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, HitmanPro, or Adw Cleaner. Has anyone used any of them?

I use Bitdefender. They're really good.

Microsoft has a good antivirus program for free that I use: MSE. Microsoft Security Essentials. Now I am looking into protecting myself from spyware and adware. Not sure which to use. Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, HitmanPro, or Adw Cleaner. Has anyone used any of them?

I have used Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D as well as AdAware. Malwarebytes is very good. Spybot is but I don't know how current they are (I'm behind on all my news lol). AdAware is also very good even with the free basic. It's a good idea to have more than one program as one will catch stuff that the other(s) don't.

One thing to note you can't have two or more running at the same time.

I have used Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D as well as AdAware. Malwarebytes is very good. Spybot is but I don't know how current they are (I'm behind on all my news lol). AdAware is also very good even with the free basic. It's a good idea to have more than one program as one will catch stuff that the other(s) don't.

One thing to note you can't have two or more running at the same time.

Correct. On my mobile devices, Lookout Antivirus is primary, and Bitdefender is secondary. I am trying to get rid of AVG on my phone, but no joy so far. :(

CAUTION!

That link makes you download Windows 7 automatically! Don't click that link! I had to hurry stop it from downloading. Jeez.

That download is a legitimate file from Microsoft website. It is not a actual Windows 7 file but an program which check to see if your computer will run Windows 7 or not before you buy Windows 7.

Here the link to explain without downloading - Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center

There no risk and no need to jump the gun.

Oh R.I.P Windows XP then install Linux Ubuntu on oldest PC. I am tired of sick anti-virus company force pay 1 year subscription fee. I keep stick Mac OS or Linux without anti-virus software.

I prefer my free antivirus- that's all I can afford right now. It does the job and anything that gets past it is usually a very new threat that has not been added to the antivirus databases yet. Have not had any serious problems in years.

Still debating on Linux- I have the Knoppix version downloaded somewhere (and on CD I think...).

Speaking of Windows 7-- there are two ways a person can do this-- one would be via a CD disk. Another would be to put it on a USB stick and copy it, which is what I am planning on trying to do this weekend.

Speaking of Windows 7-- there are two ways a person can do this-- one would be via a CD disk. Another would be to put it on a USB stick and copy it, which is what I am planning on trying to do this weekend.
You can also download it directly from the website.

That is what I was trying to do last night. Couldn't figure out how, and I searched everywhere.
Did you pay for a download? From what I understand, you don't like to buy things online. So, if you didn't give MS a charge card or Paypal account, then they aren't going to send you Windows 7 OS in any form.

Did you pay for a download? From what I understand, you don't like to buy things online. So, if you didn't give MS a charge card or Paypal account, then they aren't going to send you Windows 7 OS in any form.

That's true, but if you are IT student - you can get free Windows.

Community College - Yes
Gallaudet - Yes
UAB - No

Ah, no wonder I couldn't find it. Guess Linux is the way to go. That, or go to Micro Center on Elston and get the software.

That's true, but if you are IT student - you can get free Windows.

Community College - Yes
Gallaudet - Yes
UAB - No
Yes, I know. That's how I got my Windows 7 Professional. But Mark isn't a student.

Wow. It's a electronics store in downtown Chicago. They have EVERYTHING.
Don't forget we don't all live in Chicago. :roll:

Are their prices competitive? That is, not expensive? How much for W7 OS?

Back