Rinko Kikuchi in Babel

Can you sign in japanese then? I'm assuming that's the signing that she was doing.

I know when I see an inexperienced signer regardless of what language it is.

is it not possible that Japanese sign in a different way that would appear 'clipped' to others?

Personally I thought it was very realistic. As would the majority of the movie going public.

Then again what would i know, I don't do Japanese sign language

Seems like I am only one that know alittle of Japanese Sign Language here :)

I did watched the Babel movie.

That movie is supposed to be good, but some of you are right. It could be offensive. That movie's point is difficult communicative. There is Spanish, English, JSL, Japanese, Arabic all in one movie. Other point, one gun cause problem worldwide.

That Japanese girl became mental sickness of sexual, or depressed, because she can't find any boy that she like just because alot of boys don't understand her or making fun of her being deaf.

Plus, she signs JSL very good. I understand some what she said, and her father too, he signs well too.

Also my opinion, people who said they wouldn't recommend this movie is because they don't understand the movie.

And plus, I don't think Japan really discriminates against the deafies there. I was in Tokyo and bought a JSL book in a bookstore in Tokyo with my Japanese friend.

The JSL in Japan are called "shuwa" if you want to know :)

Also my opinion, people who said they wouldn't recommend this movie is because they don't understand the movie.

How pretentious.

I understood the movie perfectly but it wasn't deep. No, it wasn't. It wanted to be but failed to.

This is why I prefer independent movies since that's where they are better at. This movie was pretty politically skewed on so many levels.

Anti-Gun and Pro-Illegal Immigration, not something I agree with. I thought it was in bad taste of them to make every single border guard look like they were ignorant and rude. Sure, some may be but not all are like that.

Seriously, what border guard in his/her right mind would outright accuse an illegal immigrant of abandoning the children in the desert when s/he clearly said that the children was in the desert and that they need to find them?

Come on, it was obviously intentional to make the border guards the bad guys. The illegal immigrants are doing a great deal of damage to any country they illegally enter. Period. Regardless of the good deeds they may commit, it doesn't excuse the fact that they entered the country illegally.

They cost the taxpayers big time.

Now, about the gun. People kill people, not guns. The boys should had known better to not point their guns at the cars. The father was an idiot for trusting the kids with the gun to start with.

Now, how do one justify having a boy performing an act of masturbation on camera? Sure, his penis wasn't shown but it was pretty clear what he was doing with his pants down. There was no reason for that scene to be in the movie. Hardly a "communication" issue that you're emphasizing on.

Now, about the Japanese deaf girl... like she would really try to kiss the dentist and force him to rub her vagina. Like that would happen.

It wasn't just believable. Sure, similar incidents may had happened in real life but it's not a believable story to start with. Pretty far-fetched. If she was mentally challenged, that would had been different.

I'm a movie buff, I understand movies but 'Babel' was just another Hollywoodized movie where they tried to "explore" the world issues on a "deeper" level. This is where Hollywood usually fail at. Independent filmmakers are better at this kind of movie. Period.

I liked '21 Grams' better. Same director of 'Babel'.

I just found the movie, 'Babel' to be one of the most pretentious movies I've seen. The movie was supposed to be about 'communication' but it ended up getting all political and pretentious about the meaning of life.

Sorry, but this movie isn't going to hold up well in 10 years. A lot of Oscar-nominated movies tend to fade away and don't hold up well years later.

'Crash', anybody?

Yeah, didn't think so.

I saw the movie last week or so, and liked it overall. Reminded me of the movie "Crash" by Paul Haggis.

If I could edit out one part of the movie, that would be the part where this kid was masturbating to...his sister? :confused:

How pretentious.

I understood the movie perfectly but it wasn't deep. No, it wasn't. It wanted to be but failed to.

This is why I prefer independent movies since that's where they are better at. This movie was pretty politically skewed on so many levels.

Anti-Gun and Pro-Illegal Immigration, not something I agree with. I thought it was in bad taste of them to make every single border guard look like they were ignorant and rude. Sure, some may be but not all are like that.

Seriously, what border guard in his/her right mind would outright accuse an illegal immigrant of abandoning the children in the desert when s/he clearly said that the children was in the desert and that they need to find them?

Come on, it was obviously intentional to make the border guards the bad guys. The illegal immigrants are doing a great deal of damage to any country they illegally enter. Period. Regardless of the good deeds they may commit, it doesn't excuse the fact that they entered the country illegally.

They cost the taxpayers big time.

Now, about the gun. People kill people, not guns. The boys should had known better to not point their guns at the cars. The father was an idiot for trusting the kids with the gun to start with.

Now, how do one justify having a boy performing an act of masturbation on camera? Sure, his penis wasn't shown but it was pretty clear what he was doing with his pants down. There was no reason for that scene to be in the movie. Hardly a "communication" issue that you're emphasizing on.

Now, about the Japanese deaf girl... like she would really try to kiss the dentist and force him to rub her vagina. Like that would happen.

It wasn't just believable. Sure, similar incidents may had happened in real life but it's not a believable story to start with. Pretty far-fetched. If she was mentally challenged, that would had been different.

I'm a movie buff, I understand movies but 'Babel' was just another Hollywoodized movie where they tried to "explore" the world issues on a "deeper" level. This is where Hollywood usually fail at. Independent filmmakers are better at this kind of movie. Period.

I liked '21 Grams' better. Same director of 'Babel'.

I just found the movie, 'Babel' to be one of the most pretentious movies I've seen. The movie was supposed to be about 'communication' but it ended up getting all political and pretentious about the meaning of life.

Sorry, but this movie isn't going to hold up well in 10 years. A lot of Oscar-nominated movies tend to fade away and don't hold up well years later.

'Crash', anybody?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Creative liscense. Even movies that are supposedly based in reality use it. Start reality rarely makes for entertaining viewing. One requires exageration to motivate spending the price of a ticket. And, communication is political and about the meaning of life. Communication is fundamental to culture, and the movie did do a good job of illustrating that which we consider to be abnormal or deviant from an ethnocentric point of view sometimes ceases to be so when seen from a culturally relative point of view.

The movie was supposed to be about 'communication'

and it was. Communication doesn't have to be good or bad.

hence why that guard didn't bother with that woman saying she'd left the kids in the desert. - Miscommunication.

Don't take the kids to Mexico - miscommunication

giving kids a gun and assuming they know what to do with it - miscommunication

i could go on but I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. Things are not black and white.

ps why the fascination with the kid masterbating? You've mentioned it several times now. Time to move on from that or people will get the wrong idea about you :ty:

Hello everyone,

I'm currently writing a term paper about the depiction of deafness in "Babel". Therefore I am very happy I came across this discussion! It helps me a lot.

As I'm a hearing person, there is no way for me personally to judge the credibility of the actress's performance – it's interesting that your opinions are divided on this issue: Some of you disapprove Kikuchi's sign language for being too stiff and not smooth enough, others find it tolerable and even convincing.

If there are any more comments or ttoughts to the movie, especially with regard to the figure of Chieko: Please share with me! I'd be extremely thankful.

Greetings from Germany

Back