Reverse Deafness in Humans Possible

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
For a while now, scientists have been trying to come up with a way to restore hearing in mammals before it can be applied to humans. Well, apparently earlier this month the researchers at Harvard Medical School have for the first time demonstrated hair cels being regenerated in an adult mouse. They used a drug, with a protein called Notch, to stimulate resident cells to become new hair cells in the mouse’s ear after it was damaged by noise trauma.

“The missing hair cells had been replaced by new hair cells after the drug treatment, and analysis of their location allowed us to correlate the improvement in hearing to the areas where the hair cells were replaced,” Dr. Edge said.

It won’t be long before therapeutic application can reverse deafness in humans.

When the day comes and you were given the option to remain deaf or reverse it, which would you choose and why?

Reverse Deafness in Humans Possible » Hearing Aid Blog

I am looking forward to this. I enjoy sound....Birds,music and even street sounds. It would make going to the movies more enjoyable as well.

Me too, man. I hope I'll be alive when this is possible for humans. :ugh3:

I hope the hair cells won't grow into something else :ugh3:

That's interesting, I want cure for annoying IBS and usher syndrome. :ugh3:

For a while now, scientists have been trying to come up with a way to restore hearing in mammals before it can be applied to humans. Well, apparently earlier this month the researchers at Harvard Medical School have for the first time demonstrated hair cels being regenerated in an adult mouse. They used a drug, with a protein called Notch, to stimulate resident cells to become new hair cells in the mouse’s ear after it was damaged by noise trauma.

“The missing hair cells had been replaced by new hair cells after the drug treatment, and analysis of their location allowed us to correlate the improvement in hearing to the areas where the hair cells were replaced,” Dr. Edge said.

It won’t be long before therapeutic application can reverse deafness in humans.
When the day comes and you were given the option to remain deaf or reverse it, which would you choose and why?

Reverse Deafness in Humans Possible » Hearing Aid Blog

I'll be first in line....can't wait to hear how my favorite singers really sound...and my family.

Laura

Absolutely!! I know once I get insurance I'm going to be seeing if I can get a CI, if this becomes available to humans with a few after I get one, Ima be fairly annoyed :giggle: But for now I'm thinking about implanting just the deafer ear......I suppose I could have the cell regrowth in the other one.:D

I would certainly consider it. Would be nice to be able to scratch my ear w/o having to take the HA out :giggle:

I am thankful for the technology that is available, and keeps becoming available, but to not have to rely on it to hear would be great.

And if it doesn't happen in my life-time, I'm content with what is available.

At my age...not really sure....losing my hearing as a pre-teen...and now being deaf for more than half my life. I know what I'm missing tho'....Reverse Deafness would be wonderful for the younger deafies.

I hope the hair cells won't grow into something else :ugh3:

Nah, they work on the hairs that are already there. Every cell contains dna and rna, they wouldn't spontaneously become something else and you'd grow like an eye or a foot in your ear.

jiro's post reminds me of the little poor toddler who had a two inches out of this kid's between chin and neck.

It's still pretty much out there. I think when/if a cure comes it will help mostly the late deafened folks whose brains know how to process sound. I think it's going to be a lot more complex to find a cure for kids and adults who were born or early deafened.....In fact I doubt there ever will be a cure for them. You're assuming that the ONLY problem is "dead hair cells"

While I'd be okay with being deaf for the rest of my life, I have to say I would be really curious about the sounds I'm not hearing right now.

The miracle drug sounds it might only work for a certain club. It looks like it intended to work for those who experienced conditions that caused termination of hair cells. I think this may still leave out those with nerve damage that are unrelated to the hairs or other conditions.

But on the flip side it might be able to include some who have genetic mutations from birth that are related to auditory hair deficiency.

I've read before that cellular death (apoptosis) of auditory cells from environmental/human conditions (like loud noise, radiation or intoxication) are different from ones that are acquired from genetics and birth.

The miracle drug sounds it might only work for a certain club. It looks like it intended to work for those who experienced conditions that caused termination of hair cells. I think this may still leave out those with nerve damage that are unrelated to the hairs or other conditions.

But on the flip side it might be able to include some who have genetic mutations from birth that are related to auditory hair deficiency.

I've read before that cellular death (apoptosis) of auditory cells from environmental/human conditions (like loud noise, radiation or intoxication) are different from ones that are acquired from genetics and birth.

Yes, yes exactly! That will be GOOD for the folks who are basicly late deafened due to hair cell burn out. Probaly won't help those who are late deafened due to diseases/disorders, since the hair cell would regrow, but the disease process would just kill it again. (and that's the same for genetic mutations)

Yes, yes exactly! That will be GOOD for the folks who are basicly late deafened due to hair cell burn out. Probaly won't help those who are late deafened due to diseases/disorders, since the hair cell would regrow, but the disease process would just kill it again. (and that's the same for genetic mutations)

If the disease is no longer there but damage was done to the hair cells a way to regrow those hair cells would be beneficial.

Back