Resources Info For Deaf an HOH Kids

"Many deaf education professionals and parents of deaf children are familiar with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Children who are deaf or hard of hearing and meet IDEA's eligibility requirements receive special education and related services under this law. In order for a deaf or hard of hearing child to qualify for IDEA services, the child's hearing loss must adversely affect his educational performance. Therefore not all deaf and hard of hearing students are served by IDEA."

I do not understand the part of some deaf child not being able to meet IDEA's eligibility requirements . I would think if a child is deaf they would have able to get extra help in school.

The deciding factor is the statement about affecting academic performance. For example a child with a mild to moderate hearing loss may get sufficient help from hearing aids to maintain be on grade level without classroom accommodations.

Sarah, hearing mom to Deaf teen (CI, pretty good spoken language user, enthusiastic ASL student)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Back